HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #5,446 of 20,386
Quote:

Yep. 

Since I'm an attorney, it especially bothers me when anyone uses something that I didn't say to bolster their argument.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did it unintentionally or misinterpreted something that I said at the meet because I'm pretty sure I never said that the HD600/HD650 are equal to the HE500.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,447 of 20,386
Quote:
Since I'm an attorney, it especially bothers me when anyone uses something that I didn't say to bolster their argument.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did it unintentionally or misinterpreted something that I said at the meet because I'm pretty sure I never said that the HD600/HD650 are equal to the HE500.

So what did you say?

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #5,448 of 20,386
Quote:

So what did you say?

I said that both were better than I had remembered from the last time that I listened to them, which in the case of the HD650, was at the Austin meet, and in the case of the HD600, was over a year ago in Seoul, South Korea.  I don't think I actually said anything about them in relation to the HE500, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I would have said that the HE500 are better but not necessarily hundreds of dollars better.  I think the same thing about the HE500 over the HE400, but it's really hard to justify how much better something is in dollar value because everyone values money and sound quality differently.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,449 of 20,386
Quote:
I said that both were better than I had remembered from the last time that I listened to them, which in the case of the HD650, was at the Austin meet, and in the case of the HD600, was over a year ago in Seoul, South Korea.  I don't think I actually said anything about them in relation to the HE500, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I would have said that the HE500 are better but not necessarily hundreds of dollars better.  I think the same thing about the HE500 over the HE400, but it's really hard to justify how much better something is in dollar value because everyone values money and sound quality differently.

Then my apologies for taking your words out of context. I just could have sworn you said, when I asked you if they were on the same level, "well they're different!" (with a laugh). "The vocals on the HD600 are amazing." "The HD600 is dead neutral." (this was in reply to me saying that I love how they give me my music exactly how it is).

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #5,450 of 20,386
Quote:

Then my apologies for taking your words out of context. I just could have sworn you said, when I asked you if they were on the same level, "well they're different!" (with a laugh). "The vocals on the HD600 are amazing." "The HD600 is dead neutral." (this was in reply to me saying that I love how they give me my music exactly how it is).

I did make those two comments but didn't intend to convey that that meant I thought the HD600/650 are on par with the HE500. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #5,451 of 20,386
Quote:
I did make those two comments but didn't intend to convey that that meant I thought the HD600/650 are on par with the HE500. 

Hm, then what do you think the HE-500 does better?

Not trying to draw a pissing match, btw. I'm just genuinely curious. Your body language and words at the meet led me to believe that you found them equal.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5,452 of 20,386
I think it depends on what genres you are listening to... Because the HD600/HD650 probably does sound almost as good in genres such as vocals, acoustic, classical maybe etc. But as soon as the pace of the music gets faster and sub bass or PRAT come into question then the HD600/HD650 are actually quite poor. For some genres they are amazing and for others they are not very good at all, whereas I would guess from what I read and the specs that the HE500 with its flat bass and much faster drivers are better across all genres, including fast and/or bassy music... I guess if you notice no difference between the two it is because you only listen to genres where the HD600/HD650 are not showing their weaknesses. Sorry but I just wanted to say that as an ex owner of the HD650 even though I have only read about and looked at the FR of the HE-500 / planar headphones in general.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #5,453 of 20,386
Quote:

Again, I don't know which HD650 you're listening to.

I've been around the rodeo enough to know differences when I hear them.

I really didn't want to respond, but hyperbole makes me reflexively want to call BS.

Not sure what rodeo you've been around, but I actually owned the HD650 for quite a few months, and had a brand new replacement from Sennheiser USA, so yeah I know what they sound like. I've also had four different pairs of HE-500s so I know what they sound like.
Not sure how in the world transient response can only be faster in the bass and not the other frequencies. You've been around some funny rodeos my friend. The planar diaphram moves at one speed across all frequencies. If it's faster in the bass it's faster in the mids and treble as well. And yes the HE-500 is atleast twice as fast as the HD650 across all frequencies, hell even the little DT1350 with Tesla inside is faster.

You may think my opinion is BS, but I also think your opinion is complete BS and typical of short meet impressions.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,454 of 20,386
Quote:

You may think my opinion is BS, but I also think your opinion is complete BS and typical of short meet impressions.

You forget that I had a full week with the HE-500 to A/B with my HD600.

Still, I don't know what I expected coming into the lion's den, and saying that Nile Crocs are the superior species. 
smily_headphones1.gif

arrested-development-dont-know-what-expected.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5,455 of 20,386
Quote:

You forget that I had a full week with the HE-500 to A/B with my HD600.

Still, I don't know what I expected coming into the lion's den, and saying that Nile Crocs are the superior species. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow a full week. I guess that's quite a rodeo. And yes you didn't have the HE-500 properly amped. Sorry get a better beefier amp.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #5,458 of 20,386
popcorn.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #5,460 of 20,386
It's amusing watching how defensive everyone gets when someone expresses an opposing view. 

The HE 500's are planar magnetics so are inherently "superior" to dynamic drivers in my opinion. I think this is the only advantage the HE 500 has over the HD650. 

The HE 500's make music sound lifeless and tedious IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back