Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 16, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #11,071 of 14,386
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #11,073 of 14,386
Am actually more interested in a tube amp for the 400i's. Anyone know any decent Tube amp builds to get me started? Seems easier to convince the wife if i build it myself rather than spending the money on something pre-built.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #11,074 of 14,386
Does anyone have any experience with this headphone with the Asgard 2 or lycan amplifier? Any thoughts?

The Asgard2 is a decent amp for the price, not my first choice with the HE-400i but not the worst either.

Am actually more interested in a tube amp for the 400i's. Anyone know any decent Tube amp builds to get me started? Seems easier to convince the wife if i build it myself rather than spending the money on something pre-built.  

If looking at DIY tube amp for the HE-400i the only ones that comes to mind are the Mainline from Bottlehead, its not cheap but can be modified to be in the TOTL category and the Torpedo III from http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo-III/TorpedoIII-overview.php.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #11,076 of 14,386
Any one ever tryed the Little dot I+?? I'm really looking for a desktop amp and desktop dac... Any recommendation??

Tried one a long time ago, its great for the price but IIRC the one that I tried had different op-amps and tubes from the stock.

One of the better DACs for the price these days is the Modi MB, $250, or the 4490 Modi2uber for $150.

Depending on your price range: Garage 1217 Ember (tube) or Polaris (SS), G-109, HA-501 and Lyr2.  Heard all of these amps with HE-400i and all will drive them quite well.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #11,077 of 14,386
Tried one a long time ago, its great for the price but IIRC the one that I tried had different op-amps and tubes from the stock.

One of the better DACs for the price these days is the Modi MB, $250, or the 4490 Modi2uber for $150.

Depending on your price range: Garage 1217 Ember (tube) or Polaris (SS), G-109, HA-501 and Lyr2.  Heard all of these amps with HE-400i and all will drive them quite well.

Thanks for the info! I'm actually in a budget, and would like to keep ot as cheap as possible, like I did with the fiio, I'm travelling to US later this year and I may buy something better at that time...

Magni and modi stack, are they ok?

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #11,078 of 14,386

Thanks for the info! I'm actually in a budget, and would like to keep ot as cheap as possible, like I did with the fiio, I'm travelling to US later this year and I may buy something better at that time...

I've had them for 2 years, and don't use them much. But I just spent an hour with them, and am stunned at how good they actually are. Like, ridiculously good: clear, powerful, and waaay better than they should be for the $$$.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #11,079 of 14,386

Garage 1217. I started with a Sunrise III Hybrid Tube preamp) I have two of them, one I used to use at work and one at home. I then got a Polaris (nice solid state amp using JFETs, gives a bit of the tube distortion that people like) then last one I bought built as a demo the Ember II.

Lots of options for the Sunrise and Ember for tube rolling. A very serious addiction can be had here,  Huge threads on the Sunrise and Ember tube rolling too!

Great kits with real good build manuals and without a doubt close to the best customer service ever. Jeremy is a great guy and highly responsive.

I used the Sunrise with a series of different tubes driving the 400i and loved it. The price won't break the bank either.  Kits are offered for all of the models.

Now, they all are hybrid  (other than the Polaris). They use a tube in the front end and SS output devices. They definitely give you the old tube sound though, without the generally high output impedance issues of OTL amps.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #11,080 of 14,386

I've had them for 2 years, and don't use them much. But I just spent an hour with them, and am stunned at how good they actually are. Like, ridiculously good: clear, powerful, and waaay better than they should be for the $$$.

Yes, but for anyone that thinks the 400i has excess treble energy. they will add to that problem for them.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #11,081 of 14,386
  I just got my 400i a week ago and so far I am not that impressed

Headphone is used or burned between 10 to 20 hours

It just didn't meet my expectations that were "wow this headphone is going to sound fantastic"..

This is my first pair of planar magnetic headphones

Is it because the headphones aren't burned in completely?

I really want to like these and enjoy them as much as possible...

I am using a Creative Sound Blaster Z as a dac and amp

Honestly I felt like it's my old HyperX cloud but with more treble and imaging.. no more upgrades after these
HyperX Cloud is a gaming headset 

I too just went from HyperX Cloud to Hifiman 400i, which are my first open-backs and first planars. From forums and reviews also I expected open-backs to be this amazing experience where it sounds like the musicians are sitting in the living room all around you. That definitely has not been my experience, as the sound feels limited to a clear but linear plane not far from my left and right ears, but I did think right away that the 400i are a much more "open" and a richer sound experience than the HyperX clouds. I'm overall happy with the upgrade at the $250 black Friday price, and can't ever see myself going back to the closed-in somewhat muddy sounding gaming phones. I'm currently playing Metro 2033 and loving the new experience with sound. Not sure how helpful that is to you, but thought I'd share from a similar upgrade experience of, perhaps, moderately lowered expectations.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #11,082 of 14,386
  The Asgard2 is a decent amp for the price, not my first choice with the HE-400i but not the worst either.

If looking at DIY tube amp for the HE-400i the only ones that comes to mind are the Mainline from Bottlehead, its not cheap but can be modified to be in the TOTL category and the Torpedo III from http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo-III/TorpedoIII-overview.php.

The TorpedoIII is discontinued by ECP/Beezar now.  No more PCBs being made for it.  There's a TorpedoIV in the works, but I don't believe it will be DIY (but not sure on that, would have to ask Tom or Doug).  Towards the end the TorpedoIII had gotten so complicated that really only a handful of people could build it, and most units ordered were either built by Tom himself, or somebody would pay one of the more experience DIYers to build one for them.  As Doug said, basically it had just become a way to get a $3000 amp for $1600.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #11,083 of 14,386

I've had the M/M stack in the pass, good for the price but as @mandrake50 noted it might add to the brightness.  The Polaris is a much better amp for the price since its much more flexible since you can change the out put resistance/impedance to better match your headphones if you ever decide to get another pair down the line. 

The TorpedoIII is discontinued by ECP/Beezar now.  No more PCBs being made for it.  There's a TorpedoIV in the works, but I don't believe it will be DIY (but not sure on that, would have to ask Tom or Doug).  Towards the end the TorpedoIII had gotten so complicated that really only a handful of people could build it, and most units ordered were either built by Tom himself, or somebody would pay one of the more experience DIYers to build one for them.  As Doug said, basically it had just become a way to get a $3000 amp for $1600.

Bummer, I heard one a while back and it was still on my mind to build one.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #11,084 of 14,386
I've had the M/M stack in the pass, good for the price but as @mandrake50
 noted it might add to the brightness.  The Polaris is a much better amp for the price since its much more flexible since you can change the out put resistance/impedance to better match your headphones if you ever decide to get another pair down the line. 

Bummer, I heard one a while back and it was still on my mind to build one.

As much as the last few rounds of upgrades made it an extremely difficult build, they really took it to another level. The output CCS made it a true world class amp.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #11,085 of 14,386

I've been preaching this as well, along with a proper seal with official or other brands' pads :p

How have you found (Ori, HM5, Audeze, etc.) pads to affect soundstage and imaging, if at all, in the 400i? Does distance from the drivers, or non-angled pads increase or change soundstage? My only complaint with the 400i (as a noob to hi-fi currently using the stock focus pads) is that the music feels like its near the back of my head. I find myself prying open the phones at the front while I'm listening, which seems to deepen the bass, broaden the stage, and move the plane of the soundstage from the back of my head toward the front. I feel like I'm constantly pushing the pads forward almost subconsciously. This is my first set of open-backs and planars. Any other suggestions (for pads, mods, or tricks)?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back