Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #11,042 of 14,386
two totally different headphones (400i is Planar magnetic, Elear is Dynamic). As you say vastly different in price so I see no point in comparing them.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #11,044 of 14,386

It wasn't a comparison exactly that I was looking for. Yes they are very different, the only reason I ask in that I have the 400i but am thinking of buying the Elear. 

While I haven't heard the Elear yet a friend who has them and the Utopia told me to pass on the Elear since it might sound lifeless to me since he knows my taste in sound signature.  He said to think of the HD-650 with better defined bass and a slightly more rolled of highs to get an idea of the Elear, so for me I already think the HD-650 is not the most exciting headphone so the Elear mght sound too dark/warm for me.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #11,045 of 14,386
I just got my 400i a week ago and so far I am not that impressed

Headphone is used or burned between 10 to 20 hours

It just didn't meet my expectations that were "wow this headphone is going to sound fantastic"..

This is my first pair of planar magnetic headphones

Is it because the headphones aren't burned in completely?

I really want to like these and enjoy them as much as possible...

I am using a Creative Sound Blaster Z as a dac and amp

Honestly I felt like it's my old HyperX cloud but with more treble and imaging.. no more upgrades after these
HyperX Cloud is a gaming headset 

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #11,046 of 14,386

It just didn't meet my expectations that were "wow this headphone is going to sound fantastic"..

what were your previous headphones?  what genre of music do you prefer?  What were your expectations of the HE-400i?

Burn-in will not change the sound that much, if any.

I've never tried the SB Z but out of a Xonar DG the HE-400i is decent.  Mine are the older back plate version and have been modded with a more open grill and sorbothane in the cups.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #11,047 of 14,386

Headphone is used or burned between 10 to 20 hours

Honestly I felt like it's my old HyperX cloud but with more treble and imaging.. no more upgrades after these

I don't think that burn in will make much difference. Nothing is for everyone so if you're happy with the Hyper X Cloud I'd suggest you sell the HE400i, stick to the Cloud's and use your money on something that you value more. This is not sarcasm but the reality of life 
wink_face.gif

I've got  the Takstar Pro80 (which is the non-gaming original headphones that the Cloud's are based on) and although they're very good for their price I don't hear them as being anywhere near the level of perfomance that the HE400i offers. We all hear things different and like I said, if it's not worth it to you spend your money on somethinbg that is important to you instead and you'll be more happy 
gs1000.gif

Just my 2c.............

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #11,048 of 14,386
 I edited my answer and wrote :

I prefer trance, chillout, ambient, some pop some metal and about rarely hip hop and rap

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #11,049 of 14,386
  what were your previous headphones?  what genre of music do you prefer?  What were your expectations of the HE-400i?

Burn-in will not change the sound that much, if any.

I've never tried the SB Z but out of a Xonar DG the HE-400i is decent.  Mine are the older back plate version and have been modded with a more open grill and sorbothane in the cups.

I prefer trance, chillout, ambient, some pop some metal and about rarely hip hop and rap

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #11,050 of 14,386

My suggestion is try and see if you can audition other headphones, you might like a HD-700, Grado 80e, or DT-990 for those genres that you listed.  Agree with the other poster that the HE-400i might just not be your cup of tea so if you can sell them you might want to move on to something else.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #11,051 of 14,386
  I don't think that burn in will make much difference. Nothing is for everyone so if you're happy with the Hyper X Cloud I'd suggest you sell the HE400i, stick to the Cloud's and use your money on something that you value more. This is not sarcasm but the reality of life 
wink_face.gif

I've got  the Takstar Pro80 (which is the non-gaming original headphones that the Cloud's are based on) and although they're very good for their price I don't hear them as being anywhere near the level of perfomance that the HE400i offers. We all hear things different and like I said, if it's not worth it to you spend your money on somethinbg that is important to you instead and you'll be more happy 
gs1000.gif

Just my 2c.............

I don't know man I think I will try to use it more for atleast a month.. if nothing improved.. I will consider selling it
Thanks for your reply

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #11,052 of 14,386
  I don't know man I think I will try to use it more for atleast a month.. if nothing improved.. I will consider selling it
Thanks for your reply

That sounds like a wise idea. Try to use the HE400i exclusively for a week or so and then go back to the Cloud's, maybe that will make it more easy to hear the difference. Good luck!

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #11,053 of 14,386
  My suggestion is try and see if you can audition other headphones, you might like a HD-700, Grado 80e, or DT-990 for those genres that you listed.  Agree with the other poster that the HE-400i might just not be your cup of tea so if you can sell them you might want to move on to something else.

I'm hoping that it becomes my cup of tea after maybe let's say getting used to it after using it alot
biggrin.gif
.. I don't know I am kinda feeling pessimistic about the future 
Thanks

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #11,054 of 14,386
  I'm hoping that it becomes my cup of tea after maybe let's say getting used to it after using it alot
biggrin.gif
Thanks

What are you looking for in terms of a sound signature?  Do you want a good solid bass?  Is sound stage and imaging important?  If gaming then you might want something with great positional audio.  I know it might be hard to put into words what you are looking for but don't give up, there is a headphone out there that will sound good to you, just need to do a little searching and coming to this thread you are on the right track.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #11,055 of 14,386
biggrin.gif
Thanks

You will get used to the difference in sound and when you go back to the Hyper X's you will realize that you love the 400i's... It is happening to me, it is not instant love with these planar headphones... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back