Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #11,060 of 14,386
  Heh, 320kbps is compressed but acceptable in my life now.

I don't have a Tidal HiFi sub (though I'm more seriously considering), but I do have a decent FLAC collection.

Yeah i hear you 320 kbps i cant really tell the difference on most tracks. Some metalcore songs though you can tell the difference in sound stage and what not. 

Got a question on the side, the box the 400i's come in...whats the point of the box? Is it for storage, transport? Its far too nice to throw away, but not sure what the point is. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #11,061 of 14,386
Got a question on the side, the box the 400i's come in...whats the point of the box? Is it for storage, transport? Its far too nice to throw away, but not sure what the point is. 

You really need someone to explain to you the potential uses for a box?

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #11,063 of 14,386
Mostly just curious what others are using it for, do they keep it, Store it never to be seen again? Or use it for transporting or standard storage? Just an outside the box question
wink.gif

Because most people on here don't keep things very long.  When you go to resell it people want all original stuff including the box.  Plus when the headphones are not in use the box is a great place to store them.  Keeps dust out of the driver area.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #11,064 of 14,386
Mostly just curious what others are using it for, do they keep it, Store it never to be seen again? Or use it for transporting or standard storage? Just of an outside the box question
wink.gif

Ah. Well, I store my RCA, power, optical, and other assorted non-headphone cables in it. The box opens in such a way that you don't really want tall things in it. You could also store extra ear-pads or IEM cases in it, I suppose. The key is to remove the padding for the 400i that comes in it, then you have a lot of space to work with. Some folks remove that pad, then store the cans on the diagonal so that they don't have to remove the cables everytime. Keeps dust out too.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #11,065 of 14,386
Ah. Well, I store my RCA, power, optical, and other assorted non-headphone cables in it. The box opens in such a way that you don't really want tall things in it. You could also store extra ear-pads or IEM cases in it, I suppose. The key is to remove the padding for the 400i that comes in it, then you have a lot of space to work with. Some folks remove that pad, then store the cans on the diagonal so that they don't have to remove the cables everytime. Keeps dust out too.

That's exactly what I do. So easy, looks nice, and already paid for.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #11,066 of 14,386

Gotcha thats a good idea, ill probably do that with removing the foam. Is dust a huge concern with these? Ive seen people use headphone stands, that would cause issues with dust probably. Not looking to sell these as these are pretty much end game for open backs anyway for me unless something revolutionary comes out in a few years that is available for a good price. Sorry, they are my first higher end set unless you count the sennheisser 598s in the audiophile category.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #11,067 of 14,386
Is dust a huge concern with these? Ive seen people use headphone stands, that would cause issues with dust probably. Not looking to sell these as these are pretty much end game for open backs anyway for me unless something revolutionary comes out in a few years that is available for a good price. Sorry, they are my first higher end set unless you count the sennheisser 598s in the audiophile category.

Dust can be an issue with any open headphone. A speck of something gets on the driver and it can often cause an ugly buzz. With planar magnetics, the film that pushes air is so thin that the obvious solutions like blasting them with canned air can cause serious damage. Best just to keep them clean. I have mine on a headphone stand on a shelf in my closet when not in use. Keeps the humidity low, much less exposure to dust and UV, and unreachable by my toddlers and my pets.

If you are putting them out on a desk, try to keep them out of the line of fire from your home's air vents. Those will blow dust around. And, you could always throw a piece of cloth over them as an easy solution.

However, that makes it sound like this is a serious problem requiring diligent care. It's not. The 400i's have a pad between the grill and the driver, so polluting it will be very difficult. But, I will say, I had a piece of glitter stuck on that pad and it drove me nuts trying to remove it. Hair is even worse.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #11,068 of 14,386
  You will get used to the difference in sound and when you go back to the Hyper X's you will realize that you love the 400i's... It is happening to me, it is not instant love with these planar headphones... 

and @Sinox33, it takes a while for your brain to adjust to the sound. Took me several weeks coming from dynamic drivers to planars.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #11,069 of 14,386
  I`m finding that my 400i + Audeze pads create a very satisfying bass beast.  Getting the drivers even a few millimeters farther away from the ear increases the bass noticeably.  It`s a small challenge to keep it quality bass, but the benefits are huge, I`m finding.  

Somebody else said their 400is became mid-congested with alpha pads. Considering how similar the audeze LCD pads look to the alphas, could you elaborate more on your findings? How are the mids and highs affected? I'm really itching to do some pad rolling, especially to gain some low-end, but having to order each pair of these pricey pads I want to be sure it's a signature change I could be interested in.

Is dust a huge concern with these?

No, own them since early summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back