Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,717 of 14,386
Ah, sorry for that. My electric bass cab is a 3-way design: 2 12's, a mid driver and a tweeter. The design is called a fEARful, and it's a boutique cab popular in the DIY community.

Anyway, the mid driver is EXTREMELY powerful, and fret noise, string noise, and bad technique really comes through, which is called 'gak' by some guys. I have to EQ 2K through 4K down around 10 dB to get rid of the 'gak'

It's a geeky bass—thing...

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,718 of 14,386
Ah, sorry for that. My electric bass cab is a 3-way design: 2 12's, a mid driver and a tweeter. The design is called a fEARful, and it's a boutique cab popular in the DIY community.

Anyway, the mid driver is EXTREMELY powerful, and fret noise, string noise, and bad technique really comes through, which is called 'gak' by some guys. I have to EQ 2K through 4K down around 10 dB to get rid of the 'gak'

It's a geeky bass—thing...

cool

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2,719 of 14,386
Just received mine last night. Wonderful looking. Didn't get too much time to listen, just a few select tracks. Sounded pretty good. Will have to do some serious listening this weekend. Will post some impressions and pictures then...

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,720 of 14,386
Is it placebo or does the bass actually improve with listening hours? It certainly sounds like there is more bass now than when I first bough them. Or perhaps I'm better adjusted to it's sound, either way it sounds fantastic.

Totally loving the sound from these bad boys. Any doubts I had when selling my HE-400 to fund these have disappeared. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,721 of 14,386
  Is it placebo or does the bass actually improve with listening hours? It certainly sounds like there is more bass now than when I first bough them. Or perhaps I'm better adjusted to it's sound, either way it sounds fantastic.

Totally loving the sound from these bad boys. Any doubts I had when selling my HE-400 to fund these have disappeared. 

I'm inclined to agree - but can't say if my impression of the bass improving with "burn-in" was due to their soundwaves or my brainwaves.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,722 of 14,386
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this!

Personally, I think it understandable that bass should improve with use. I know my Magnaplaner speakers tortured me with their sound for the first month. They use the same planar technology. They absolutely sing now!

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,724 of 14,386
I've been comparing the 400i to my HD700s, I know, not really apples to apples, but they are richer and warmer than the 700s. That is exactly what I was looking for. I do a lot of critical listening with 700s but spend a Friday night with a beer just tuning out with the 400i. Maybe the effect is that as you listen you grow accustomed to the sound, but I like what I hear so far. It can only get better...

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,727 of 14,386
Dang. I did leave one sentence out. I haven't heard or owned the 400i's. In the months I've followed this and the 560 thread, I have come to respect a few people on here and they have been generous enough to share their far superior knowledge on all things headphones. I wanted the closest thing to my Magnaplaner home speakers.

I have them. There isn't as much room to work with or room acoustics to adjust with, but the 560 is truly, beautifully close. All I have to do is close my eyes and enjoy a show for one.

If I had bigger, better words I would use them. If there is something better out there, I would love to hear it. (For at or near the price)

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,728 of 14,386
Anyone know if the 560 sounds better than the 400i. Im really liking the 400i but could always entertain something better?

The 560s are better.

But, not necessarily $3-400 better.

You said you've started liking the 400i.  Just enjoy the tunes and be content.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,730 of 14,386
  The 560s are better.

But, not necessarily $3-400 better.

You said you've started liking the 400i.  Just enjoy the tunes and be content.  

AMEN !!
Well, they might be "better", depending on the taste of the listener. They might be better, depending upon how critical a listener is, and where they are coming from in headphone history.
They might be better depending on your source?
They might be better, but almost certainly NOT from the price versus performance perspective.
They might be better, if the only consideration is the drive to get something you just have to have, because someone told you that they are "better"...

All of these maladies I suffer from. I finally succumbed to the internal ...irrational, pressure and committed to buy a set of 560s. I guess that I will find out if they are worth  the pain of seeing my bank balance reduced so much once I get them. For now, I have no reason to be unhappy with the 400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back