**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #7,096 of 22,116
Quote:

We're hoping that HifiMAN will produce a HE-700 model.  Perhaps that would be something to strive for?

With the HE-700 model, we'd hope for them to strive for: planer driver manufacturing to be more automated,as they've done with the HE-400 to keep costs done.  To work on frequency spikes and tame some sibilants.  To keep the efficiency of the headphone in the range of the HE-400, if not improve upon it.  To offer it in another color - possibly a hammered bronze finish, as I've performed in the past on the X-LS monitor speakers that I posed pictures of a few weeks earlier.  

Any other wishes for the HE-700?  I'll gladly type up a summarized "wish" list and propose it to Dr. Fang.  Granted, it may not go far, but progression at the least is worthy of presenting the question.

Make it happen wje.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #7,098 of 22,116
Wayne...I'm in for a slightly reworked he400. On my wish list:

1. Better stock pads-j$/jergpad type

2. No treble spike-kill the tizz

3. Smooth the mids

4.NOT any heavier

5. Not any more expensive

6. Retain the bass

7. Softer more flexible cable

8. Get rid of the cup connectors completely and replace with mini xlr connectors. 

biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #7,099 of 22,116
For those who might be interested, here is a pick of earring adapters for the he400. They work quite well and convert to mini xlr. 
size]

Hand fashioned by Steve Eddy himself!! 

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #7,100 of 22,116
Quote:

1. Better stock pads-j$/jergpad type

3. Smooth the mids

4.NOT any heavier

5. Not any more expensive

6. Retain the bass

7. Softer more flexible cable

8. Get rid of the cup connectors completely and replace with mini xlr connectors. 

biggrin.gif

If Hifiman were to come out with a reworked HE400 with all those improvements, it's unlikely it won't be more expensive.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7,102 of 22,116
Quote:

1. Better stock pads-j$/jergpad type (offered in both velour and real leather)

3. Smooth the mids

4.NOT any heavier

5. Not any more expensive (I think if we could get what we want for $599, I'd be quite happy)

6. Retain the bass

7. Softer more flexible cable (Correct.  Possibly, consider a cloth covered or sheathed cable like they did with the HE-5)

8. Get rid of the cup connectors completely and replace with mini xlr connectors. (Also, make the mini-XLR connector points angled, just like on the newer Audeze headphones -  so they don't protrude down and break off when they hit your shoulder if you turn your head quickly)

biggrin.gif

I've applied a few changes as noted in your quoted post.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7,105 of 22,116
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16

:eek:

Asgard 2

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW

Looks like it will run high impedance loads much better than the original. 1watt at 32ohm is pretty standard though, even the Magni has more power there. Still, it's not just about power, and it still costs the same as the original. I think it's worth looking into.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #7,106 of 22,116
Quote:
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16

eek.gif

Asgard 2

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW

Looks like it will run high impedance loads much better than the original. 1watt at 32ohm is pretty standard though, even the Magni has more power there. Still, it's not just about power, and it still costs the same as the original. I think it's worth looking into.

Did they ever even post the wattage of the first Asgard? It seems like they post their specs in a different way every time, it's kind of annoying.

I wish I could trade my generation 1 in for it though. That low gain switch would be nice for using IEMs and such.

EDIT: Hm, it looks like they increased the output impedance though. Not by much but still an odd decision.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7,107 of 22,116
They didn't, but it was posted elsewhere. It had like 85mw at 600ohm, and still 1watt at 32ohm. The best improvement was the middle ground, I believe. 50ohm has 1watt, probably more ideal for efficient orthos like the HE-400, HE-500, and LCD-2.

As for output impedance, it'a not gonna matter for anything more than 16ohm, and Jason stated as it having almost 10x less distortion than the original.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #7,108 of 22,116
Quote:
Did they ever even post the wattage of the first Asgard? It seems like they post their specs in a different way every time, it's kind of annoying.

I wish I could trade my generation 1 in for it though. That low gain switch would be nice for using IEMs and such.

EDIT: Hm, it looks like they increased the output impedance though. Not by much but still an odd decision.

Also, the pre-out feature is nice.  This means that virtually any amp could be used - be it tube, SET, solid state, or even a speaker amp with speaker taps.  This means that the Asgard 2 could have a long life in someone's system, as opposed to being prone to upgrading to more power.  A nice "pre" always makes things more functional, too.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #7,109 of 22,116
How about some ideas for the HE-400 2.0?

I would make it lighter. More comfortable headband, cushier pads. More flexible cable.

Improve the efficiency by 2-3 dB.

Refine the construction - the existing plastic grills and other components look like they are actually blocking output and sound like those awful thick plastic preforated auto grills. Can you get stronger and less complex?

I actually wouldn't modify the "sound signature" much. A flatter midrange is always welcome. The upper treble is more or less fine for me, but if I could pick a direction, dialing it back a tad wouldn't hurt. I also wouldn't shy away from a slight bass boost in the lowest registers through 100 hz. Might as well play to the strengths!

I'd also like some more color choices.

If ya'll want to see price drops, Hifi Man needs market share.

Then again all of audio-phile ville could be improved if an international recording standard were adopted to ban excessive dynamic range compression. I also suspect that a lot of "tizzyness" complaints would disappear.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #7,110 of 22,116
Alright brothers and sisters, let's say that I hypothetically sold my PS3 for around $250 and wanted to spend every bit of that money on a desktop amp and DAC, what are all of my options that are worth considering? I know of the M&M stack and the O2/ODAC, but are those the only ones I should debate among? And what are the strengths of each for the HE-400, as well as how would they scale when I inevitably (within the next 3 years) purchase the LCD-2? Thank you! If you're really helpful, I may PayPal you $1 :) (but only the most helpful person)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back