**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #14,596 of 22,116
HE-400 are listed at $299 on amzn right now.  Just snagged a pair.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #14,598 of 22,116

HE-400 are listed at $299 on amzn right now.  Just snagged a pair.  

Bam! I got it with one left it stock. Thanks!

Nice job. There were 4 left when I got mine so you got on there quick.  

I've been debating back and forth between the he-400's and the HD650's for a couple months now...with a deal like this I couldn't pass up a chance at these.  Guess the 650's will have to wait a bit.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #14,599 of 22,116
  Nice job. There were 4 left when I got mine so you got on there quick.  

I've been debating back and forth between the he-400's and the HD650's for a couple months now...with a deal like this I couldn't pass up a chance at these.  Guess the 650's will have to wait a bit.

It really does depend on your music tastes. The HD650 is good for slow music with focus on vocals, HE-400 for everything else. But still, for $300 the HE-400 is an absolute steal.

I tried out a few tracks from Infected Mushroom, and wow. This headphone never ceases to amaze with electronic music. The speed and bass texture on display is phenomenal. A year on and I still get those wow moments you only experience with new toys.

Like Nicholars mentioned time and time again, if you can get your hands on some jergpads and a good parametric eq don't hesitate. They take the HE-400 to the next level.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #14,600 of 22,116
Ahh, hmm.

Here is an interesting test. 

HE400 owners: Tell me if you experience painful sibilance in this track, please. 

(Bonus points: Tell me how the bass is, when it kicks in. Noticeable? Distant? Or hard-hitting? You decide)

I'm sorry to ask such a huge favour from you, but I really want to buy some, but can't audition any!

(Remember to watch/listen in 1080p!)

The song is "Big jet plane" by "Angus and Julia Stone":

Thanks in advance - also, please remember, there is absolutely no pressure for you guys to do this!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #14,602 of 22,116
*sits in corner of room, rocking back and forward, repeatedly banging head into wall*

I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400,  I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400, I recommend mod the pads and EQ for the HE400. Mod the pads and EQ, EQ them and mod the pads, jergmod the pads and apply EQ to the HE400, much better yes.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #14,603 of 22,116
With no EQ or modifications, I get 0 sibilance with that Jet Plane Song.  There is a scratchy quality to the treble in the vocals and cymbals the HE-400 reveals that the RE-400 do not.  That's mostly a quality of the song, but the emphasized upper treble of the HE-400 brings it out.  The bass impact is maybe a 5/10 I guess-- average; not emphasized but not anemic.

Nicholars have you posted anything recently in this topic that didn't include recommending EQ or mods.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #14,604 of 22,116
  With no EQ or modifications, I get 0 sibilance with that Jet Plane Song.  The bass impact is maybe a 5/10 I guess-- average; not emphasized but not anemic.

Excellent, thank you. Your impressions are much appreciated.

The news about the sibilance is great, but the bass impact being a 5/10 worries me. It's not a complete overpowering slam in this song, but it's definitely not a mild bassline either.

Quoting on this page, for anyone who may have missed it (sorry to do this to you guys):

Ahh, hmm.

Here is an interesting test. 

HE400 owners: Tell me if you experience painful sibilance in this track, please. 

(Bonus points: Tell me how the bass is, when it kicks in. Noticeable? Distant? Or hard-hitting? You decide)

I'm sorry to ask such a huge favour from you, but I really want to buy some, but can't audition any!

(Remember to watch/listen in 1080p!)

The song is "Big jet plane" by "Angus and Julia Stone":

Thanks in advance - also, please remember, there is absolutely no pressure for you guys to do this!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #14,605 of 22,116
Well also keep in mind that I'm not giving a movie or game rating, but a number that represents quantity, where 5 is halfway between 0 and 10 and is average.  If you wanted every song to have a 10/10 then you might want to buy basshead headphones.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #14,606 of 22,116
  Well also keep in mind that I'm not giving a movie or game rating, but a number that represents quantity, where 5 is halfway between 0 and 10 and is average.  If you wanted every song to have a 10/10 then you might want to buy basshead headphones.

Ah, My mistake. I assumed it might have been a subjective overall rating. That's much less worrying. I guess between 5-7 is where I would like it to hit, in terms of quantity..

To be honest, I am a little bit of a basshead. But of course, that depends on the genre and mood. But anyway, that's besides the point - thank you for taking the time to do this test, and giving me your impressions. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #14,607 of 22,116
I listened to the song. I also get that slight scratchy tone in the vocals but that kind of sounds like it is part of the recording. No sibilants though, and the bass sounds really nice. It doesn't hit too hard but that's because the recording doesn't feature that. 

Bonus impressions, with the treble fix eq applied, the scratchy tone is gone, and the vocals sound awesome.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #14,608 of 22,116
I am a basshead and I find the HE400 to be probably the best bass I have heard, maybe the Denon Dxxx were better not sure.... I will not mention what I did to get the bass response I want from these headphones but I am sure you can guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back