**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #14,551 of 22,116
Hi guys,
100USD off for the black friday at head direct!!!!
I am searching for clarity wide soundstage and top notch resolution and i've got no money so i think this can be my bang for the bucks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #14,553 of 22,116
Unless you had a powerful enough amp and went for the HE-4
tongue.gif
. Even at $150 more (when the HE-400 is on sale, normally only $50 more), they completely blow the HE-400 out of the water. HE-4>HE-500>HE-400 IMO.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #14,554 of 22,116
  Unless you had a powerful enough amp and went for the HE-4
tongue.gif
. Even at $150 more (when the HE-400 is on sale, normally only $50 more), they completely blow the HE-400 out of the water. HE-4>HE-500>HE-400 IMO.

I got no big tube amps and i got no money to buy them so i suppose the 400 is good for me with something like a portable ampifier or a FiiO X3

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #14,555 of 22,116
The HE-400 at $300 is a bargain, I'm not arguing with that at all, it is still one of my favorite headphones. The FiiO should work just fine with the HE-400, as it's powered fairly well straight from an iPod Classic. A tube amp is not necessary for the HE-4 though. My amp just so happens to be a tube amp.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #14,556 of 22,116

I know that we cannot relie on a  "single word statement" but
Tyll opinion is that stock HE-400 are annoying.
Well annoying is a strong word and Tyll's opinion is kinda important in audiophiles world.
The statement is of augist 2012 and there was no review after.
Maybe he didn't like the custom pad version too.

Just wondering

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #14,557 of 22,116
I love how everyone around this forum quotes Tyll like he's the final word in head-fi.
rolleyes.gif
I've read a handful of his reviews and I find the HE-400 far from annoying.

Besides, doesn't head direct offer a 15 day money back period? $100 off a new HE-400 is a steal bro.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #14,558 of 22,116
Don't trust someone just because he or she is respected. Trust people who have the same tastes as you. There are quite a few well respected reviewers whom I disagree with in their evaluations. That said, if you find you tend to agree with Tyll then maybe avoid the HE-400. You can get new pads for like $10 though..

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #14,559 of 22,116

I know that we cannot relie on a  "single word statement" but
Tyll opinion is that stock HE-400 are annoying.
Well annoying is a strong word and Tyll's opinion is kinda important in audiophiles world.
The statement is of augist 2012 and there was no review after.
Maybe he didn't like the custom pad version too.

Just wondering
I too find them annoying with the pleathers. In fact, I can't believe that HifiMan thinks it ok to ship them with those pads. The sound is just wonky and wrong to my ears. Still holding out hope for my pads ordered from Modulor.. If they don't sort my issues out, I'll just have to get rid. It's not like they are terrible to my ears, but the annoyance is living with the flaws against the amount of money shelled out on them. That treble spike is a defect to my ears. I know they can be EQ'd, but that's just not practical for my use of these headphones. Fingers crossed..

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #14,560 of 22,116
  Don't trust someone just because he or she is respected. Trust people who have the same tastes as you. There are quite a few well respected reviewers whom I disagree with in their evaluations. That said, if you find you tend to agree with Tyll then maybe avoid the HE-400. You can get new pads for like $10 though..

^ this is reasonable.

Also, I will say that I did enjoy the HE-400 more AFTER I switched to the velour pads. It wasn't a sound issue though, more comfort than anything...

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #14,561 of 22,116
I think that Tyll's reviews are generally good although he does have a tendency to exaggerate and his writing style can be a bit over the top at times, I agree they are annoying out of the box, with both the Pleathers and the Velours.... I have said it many times and I will say it again... The HE400 NEED modded pads and EQ to sound good....

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #14,562 of 22,116
I think that Tyll's reviews are generally good although he does have a tendency to exaggerate and his writing style can be a bit over the top at times, I agree they are annoying out of the box, with both the Pleathers and the Velours.... I have said it many times and I will say it again... The HE400 NEED modded pads and EQ to sound good....
...which is a bit of a bummer when you've spent nearly £300 on them. My Senn 598s needed no such thing, my £10 Koss KSC75s were great out of the box and still are and my Yamaha HPH-200 have been nothing but wow, regardless of price (£80 at the time).

No headphone is flawless, of course, and I seem to cope ok with my other cans' foibles. But, when an inherent flaw can draw such attention to itself as to block my enjoyment of the music I'm listening to, I can't sense anything but disappointment, especially given how much I'd looked forward to this 'upgrade' to my collection. Unfortunately, the HifiMans are hung up now and the 598s and HPH-200s get most of my head time. Come on, modulor pads, answer my prayers! (even if just a little bit, please!)

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #14,563 of 22,116

Hey nicholars,
is possible that you got that bad revision with the extra harshness on the treble compartment?
I don't like to EQ.
I think that the music should play as neutral as possible.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #14,565 of 22,116
...which is a bit of a bummer when you've spent nearly £300 on them. My Senn 598s needed no such thing, my £10 Koss KSC75s were great out of the box and still are and my Yamaha HPH-200 have been nothing but wow, regardless of price (£80 at the time).

No headphone is flawless, of course, and I seem to cope ok with my other cans' foibles. But, when an inherent flaw can draw such attention to itself as to block my enjoyment of the music I'm listening to, I can't sense anything but disappointment, especially given how much I'd looked forward to this 'upgrade' to my collection. Unfortunately, the HifiMans are hung up now and the 598s and HPH-200s get most of my head time. Come on, modulor pads, answer my prayers! (even if just a little bit, please!)

Hmmm but the HE400 will absolutely destroy the Senn 598 or Koss when modded and EQ.... Those 2 headphones what you get out of the box is pretty much all you will ever get out of them, the HE400 when optimised are not even in the same league as those 2. The modulor pads on their own, although an improvement, still require EQ.... I have a feeling I am speaking to a brick wall here though judging from your post, you can be stubborn and insist they should sound great as they are... in which case you will probably end up selling them and stick with your 598.... or you can get them to work to their potential using EQ, up to you :p

To be honest I am getting bored of repeating myself and trying to justify EQ'ing these headphones to people who say "but they should be the purist form as the artist intended with minimal in the signal path blah blah blah blah" This is the last time I suggest it to anyone! If you want to remove the sibilance and have an excellent sounding pair of HE400, REMOVE THE PEAKS THAT CAUSE THE SIBILANCE. If you want high end sound with no modding then you are going to have to spend £700+ or you can EQ the HE400, entirely up to you. Unless you have unlimited money to spend on headphones then this is the best compromise you will get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back