**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #14,521 of 22,116
  Looks like clearly the most methodical way to EQ. I might try, but alas, I never really get the feeling that I'm in the mood to listen to a bunch of test tones. I just accept that my EQ is good enough. If I wanted to make it perfect to my ears, I'd be changing it for almost every album. 

That's what I did initially, then I realised this was driving me slightly bonkers and I was not enjoying the music because I was tweaking it all the time... so I set up 3 presets, a smooth one with rolled off treble, one with brighter treble and one in the middle. Once you have the basic shape correct for your ears / headphones and a few presets you can leave it alone.

This is pretty much what I use now... I do not bother trying to remove the midrange glare because it sounds alright anyway with the pad mods.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #14,522 of 22,116
I simplified mine a lot after getting the Emotiva. I just got a new DAC as well (LOL, I got a little carried away), so I probably need a few more tweaks. The Concero is leaner in the bass than my old DAC, so I'm thinking about bumping up the bass a bit, similar to how you have it. I'm trying to get used to the new presentation first though. Maybe my old DAC was too bloated. IDK. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #14,523 of 22,116
No I did not use a microphone, although using a microphone etc. would be technically more accurate, doing it by ear works well because it is customised to your own hearing. Its not too difficult, takes a bit of experimenting but sinegen lets you record all frequencies and the relative volumes and then compare them, then you plot this into electriq, works very well with the HE400. I find that frequency sweeps are much more useful than pink noise for testing.

I made a short guide here when I did it but not even one person replied! Cheek of it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687845/how-to-equalise-your-headphones-using-electriq-parametric-equaliser
Using a mic won't necessarily be more accurate, as mics have FR curves inherent to them too.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #14,524 of 22,116
Hi everyone, loving the HE-400's paired with an O2/ODAC and more recently a Woo WA6. Since, I will be keeping these for a while, I want to replace the side screws that attach the cups to the headband (the previous owner stripped them). Does anyone know the screw size or where I can source them? I actually need a replacement for the top screw hardware too.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #14,525 of 22,116
Hi everyone, loving the HE-400's paired with an O2/ODAC and more recently a Woo WA6. Since, I will be keeping these for a while, I want to replace the side screws that attach the cups to the headband (the previous owner stripped them). Does anyone know the screw size or where I can source them? I actually need a replacement for the top screw hardware too.

I may be wrong here (since I've never removed those screws) but aren't they screwed into the plastic cup? If so, it would be more likely that your cup is stripped than the screw (unless you're just talking about the head of the screw).

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #14,527 of 22,116
So what would you guys say would be better for the money then? A $300 HE-400 a mid $300 HD600, or a potentially slightly less than $399 K712? I know these kinds of things are extremely subjective. 

I also wear them for extended periods of time, I'm seeing more and more about how heavy the HE-400 is. hm.....

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #14,528 of 22,116
I plan on getting the HE-400 when they go on sale for $299 on Black Friday. I've heard so many people saying they have a bad treble spike and are sibilant. Many people say they need to be EQ'd to sound really good.

I'm a total noob. What do I need to get them sounding their best? Computer programs, EQ's, saved preset EQ files, etc? Can you help me with a link or tutorial on how to do it? Your saved presets? I really want to make them sound amazing.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #14,531 of 22,116
  So what would you guys say would be better for the money then? A $300 HE-400 a mid $300 HD600, or a potentially slightly less than $399 K712? I know these kinds of things are extremely subjective.

I also wear them for extended periods of time, I'm seeing more and more about how heavy the HE-400 is. hm.....

Can't really answer this without more info. What do you listen to? What equipment would you be using?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #14,532 of 22,116

Comfort is very personal. I find them completely comfortable. They are heavy for a headphone, yes, but they aren't actually heavy in the grand scheme of things. They weigh a pound, which is around twice as much as the lightest full size headphone I've ever worn, the Q701. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #14,533 of 22,116
They are not like "wow damn these are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my head".... But they are not uncomfortable either, they do not clamp, they are not really that heavy and whilst not being amazingly comfortable, they are not uncomfortable either. I have worn a lot worse headphones for comfort. HD600 are lighter but clamp quite a lot, not sure about the AKG, I would not worry about the comfort or weight of the HE400 tbh, you can mod them if you want with velour pads and beyer headband strap.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #14,534 of 22,116

Comfort is very personal. I find them completely comfortable. They are heavy for a headphone, yes, but they aren't actually heavy in the grand scheme of things. They weigh a pound, which is around twice as much as the lightest full size headphone I've ever worn, the Q701. 

i'm so used to wearing helmets for mountain biking, snowmobiling, etc. that the weight of the 400's seems like a pleasant change LOL

i also happen to find the earpads extremely comfortable (if a little bit hot but not bad) and with a little bending the band now fits my head perfectly.  they are not as comfy as my senn's but nothing is...

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #14,535 of 22,116

I wouldn't consider comfort a very big factor when deciding between HE-400 and K712, they're both comfortable. I think HE-400 stock cable and the connectors are a bigger issue than the weight. You should obviously try to audition them both, but if you could tell what kind of music you listen to and what you value in the sound I can perhaps give some opinions since I still have them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back