**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #13,517 of 22,116
  Going from the pleathes-- which I used for about 3 weeks with the HE-400 when I originally got it-- to the velours, the velours took away absolutely zero bass for me.

I noticed the same thing, the Pleathers where... just thicker in the entire sound. There was SO much decay with the Pleathers imo 

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #13,518 of 22,116
Going from the pleathes-- which I used for about 3 weeks with the HE-400 when I originally got it-- to the velours, the velours took away absolutely zero bass for me.

This. I have zero idea what these people are talking about. The bass was exactly the same. The only difference being that the velours had a sharper more defined texture to it. The pleather just has a softer, more diffised sound in the bass, but quantity, presence, and emphasis were nigh identical.

Dunno where people are coming up with this stuff...

Even the graphs prove there is no difference between stock pleather and velour bass.

Now, unless they're raising the volume to make the recessed upper mids match the less recessed upper mids on the velours, then yes, the pleather's bass will sound louder because you're trying to match volume of a frequency that is lower in volume with the pleather.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #13,519 of 22,116
This. I have zero idea what these people are talking about. The bass was exactly the same. The only difference being that the velours had a sharper more defined texture to it. The pleather just has a softer, more diffised sound in the bass, but quantity, presence, and emphasis were nigh identical.

Even the graphs prove there is no difference between stock pleather and velour bass.

Now, unless they're raising the volume to make the recessed upper mids match the less recessed upper mids on the velours, then yes, the pleather's bass will sound louder because you're trying to match volume of a frequency that is lower in volume with the pleather.

exactly, the pleathers sound... diffused sound, softer is exactly the word I would use. It sounds not as sharp and defined, which makes me think there's more deacy going on there but

either way, the point was made. The bass is softer on pleathers, and me no likely 

still nani nani boo boo! [to those of you who deny the Velours Bassiness] 

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #13,520 of 22,116

Why on earth would hifiman have the pleathers as stock instead of the velours if they are soooo much better? perhaps, just maybe, because they're not? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #13,521 of 22,116
  Why on earth would hifiman have the pleathers as stock instead of the velours if they are soooo much better? perhaps, just maybe, because they're not? 
biggrin.gif

depends on the sound that you like, the Pleathers sound very... warm and intimate. Very... Laid back and lush. The Pleathers on the HE 400 sound pertty much like the Hifiman DAPS, I take it that is the Hifiman House sound, and I do like it [On thier daps not so much their Headphones]

so let's assume the Chinese Market and the US market are FLODDED with users of... consumer decvices, most of which sound really thin. A Warmer thick sounding headphone will pair nicer with thing sources than a thin headphone would, hence it makes sense that they come stock with Pleathers as that sound signiture would suite the consumers a little better

that said, the above is ONLY my speculation and based PURELY on thoughts in my brain. I have NO idea if that is true and again that is PURELY speculation 

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #13,523 of 22,116
Sorry for the sass lol. It would be interesting to see if Hifiman incorporates some jerg-style damping in future models. They should throw him some royalties! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #13,524 of 22,116
  You'd be one of the minority in thinking the stock pleathers sound better.  

I did mention that I think the Stock Pleathers sound terrible right? I mean they sound NO ME GUSTA to me, granted they have a very simmilar sound to what I like about Hifiman Daps... but again... stock pleathers sounnd like a Cheap HM 601 knock off, the SOUL of the music is there but it lacks finesse 

and they might, or they might not. seeing as like every one has made after market pads for Full Size headphones. 

Oh hey what are the pads on the HE 6

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #13,525 of 22,116
  I did mention that I think the Stock Pleathers sound terrible right? I mean they sound NO ME GUSTA to me, granted they have a very simmilar sound to what I like about Hifiman Daps... but again... stock pleathers sounnd like a Cheap HM 601 knock off, the SOUL of the music is there but it lacks finesse 

and they might, or they might not. seeing as like every one has made after market pads for Full Size headphones. 

Oh hey what are the pads on the HE 6

I too wasn't a fan of stock pleathers. Vocals for me sounded really off, especially coming from the velours at the time. It's amazing how a few damping holes on the pad totally transformed the sound.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #13,526 of 22,116
I wish people would STOP making EXCESSIVE claims and CAPITALISING everything to make it sound more DRAMATIC..... As someone else said it the pleathers were REALLY THAT BAD and had "extreme decay" (these headphones have almost no decay) do you think that hifiman would have chosen them as the stock pads? I think not. But yes the jergmodded pleathers are much better than the stock pleathers which are not great but still better than stock velours in my opinion!

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #13,528 of 22,116
Oops, think I sparked this... Was just pointing out that the pleather bass sound DIFFERENT to the velour, EQ or not

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #13,529 of 22,116
I'm really liking hearing the upper midrange or lower treble (wherever the He-400 has that canyon in the FR) with my "balanced" EQ settings. I'm desiring the more balanced 500 now... ugh. Damn this hobby! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back