**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #17,581 of 22,116

I don't know really.  Anything's possible, but the HE-400 will sound pretty good just out of an iPod.

I've not heard those JH16's, but they sound like some kind of extremely potent headphone if their bass is that powerful.   The HE-400 has one of the hardest hitting basses you'll find in an open headphone.

out of an ipod?  I think my c5 amp is at least more powerful than that.  JH16's are the only ear toys I've had that could combine clarity, detail, and insane bass at the same time, and do it well.  The he-400 is not bad by comparison, just a bit different but I expected that.  My only question to the hifi pro/gods/gurus is 'is the fiio e12 powerful enough to drive the he-400 to YOUR satisfaction?'  I hope some headphone-supremus can answer this.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #17,582 of 22,116
I'm no pro/god/guru, but I love the he-400 out of an e12/x3 combo. In simple terms, the amp filled out the sound vs the x3 alone, especially the bass.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #17,583 of 22,116
Any suggestions on a good $100 receiver for which to keep an eye open?

Any Pioneer SX-450-650 may be had for close to that amount, or I guess it's easier to say any low power receiver from Realistic, Kenwood or the othe names you'd think of for stereo equipment.

If you go on craigslist in Austin, you'll find choices. I just did a search for you and found this 1974 Kenwood KR-5400 in Leander. It's $175 but you get the idea.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #17,584 of 22,116
That reminds me, been a while since I checked the sound quality of my stereo's headphone jack. Might be better than I remembered.

Well, the one I have actually sounds better than I remembered with a Hd700. It certainly has noise you can hear during silence, which is what I remembered annoying me, but it's not as bad as I remembered. I'll keep an eye out for a decently priced vintage stereo however, wanting to put one together for either my bedroom or computer.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #17,586 of 22,116
Got my Focus production pads (Hifiman/Headdirect are silly fast, ordered wednesday night, shipped thursday, delivered friday, from HK).

Earholes are smaller than the pleather pads, but no real issues for me, even though I have big ears.

They feel and look pretty nice. Definitely more comfortable than either the pleathers or velours, imo.

Sound change will take me some time to think on. They sound pretty good though :p

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #17,587 of 22,116
alright guys, I did more reading and perhaps I didn't mean distorting, but rather clipping.  Just ordered the ifi ican micro with overnight shipping because it got alot of good reviews.  It's only got .4 watts, but im sure its still more than what my portable amp gives.  I'll soon find out whether I just had an underpowered amp, or just reached the headphones limit.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #17,588 of 22,116
  alright guys, I did more reading and perhaps I didn't mean distorting, but rather clipping.  Just ordered the ifi ican micro with overnight shipping because it got alot of good reviews.  It's only got .4 watts, but im sure its still more than what my portable amp gives.  I'll soon find out whether I just had an underpowered amp, or just reached the headphones limit.

Nice, I'm looking at the Ican Micro or a used iBasso PB2 balanced amp for transportable use for planars. It looks like their bass boost and 3D effect is not badly designed. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #17,589 of 22,116
  Got my Focus production pads (Hifiman/Headdirect are silly fast, ordered wednesday night, shipped thursday, delivered friday, from HK).

Earholes are smaller than the pleather pads, but no real issues for me, even though I have big ears.

They feel and look pretty nice. Definitely more comfortable than either the pleathers or velours, imo.

Sound change will take me some time to think on. They sound pretty good though :p

Thanks for the impressions! Are these the stock pads that come with the 560's?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #17,590 of 22,116
The Audio-gd NFB-15 has a lot of output (1.8 watts at 50ohm) and is $250. I use the older NFB-12 with my HE-400 much of the time and it sounds excellent with zero noise. Not portable though (but why would you walk around with the HE-400).
This combo for roughly $600 (new) is unbeatable IMO.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #17,591 of 22,116

Thanks for the feedback. I am still waiting on my order. It keeps on getting pushed out. I ordered the FocusPads (production) as well.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #17,592 of 22,116
Well, not everyplace outside is noisy. I've walked my dog using the he-400 without issue. I do admit I'm considering a good closed can, just not sure if it'd be worth it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #17,593 of 22,116
Just got notice from HFM that my order of what they are are now calling FocusPads has shipped. Another message this week from them indicated they are in the process of stocking FocusPad-A at a warehouse in the US and they might ship next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back