**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #17,551 of 22,116
It looks like they have both versions on their site now. I think the "A" model is the "pre-production" version.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #17,553 of 22,116
Thanks for the heads up on the different pads. Just looked at my order and I will be getting the stock HE560 pads so I am getting the pads currently shipped with the 560 and not the pre-production ones.

Are the FocusPad-A the ones people preferred?

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #17,555 of 22,116
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=198

Stock pads for the 560

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=203

pre order pads for the 560's

This is different then what was available yesterday

does anyone have any comparisons between these two pads with the HE-400?

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #17,556 of 22,116
Hi guys, I've owned the HE-400 since Christmas and I've been kind of disappointed by its sound so far. Mainly the bass just isn't as great as most reviews have been pointing out. My current setup is FLAC, computer with Creative Titanium HD into Headstage Arrow 12 HE. I usually find myself cranking the bass boost on the amp to +6dB.

Is it just the overall lack of amping that keeps me disappointed? What amp would you guys recommend I get, portable or full-sized doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #17,557 of 22,116
  Hi guys, I've owned the HE-400 since Christmas and I've been kind of disappointed by its sound so far. Mainly the bass just isn't as great as most reviews have been pointing out. My current setup is FLAC, computer with Creative Titanium HD into Headstage Arrow 12 HE. I usually find myself cranking the bass boost on the amp to +6dB.

Is it just the overall lack of amping that keeps me disappointed? What amp would you guys recommend I get, portable or full-sized doesn't matter.

Thanks!

If you're looking for a higher bass quantity or the physical thumping feeling, I recently tried the sennheiser HD650 and it had much more powerful bass than the 400. Though I did find it to be less refined. I have no clue when it comes to amp, I'm still without one ATM

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #17,559 of 22,116
  If you're disappointed with the HE-400's bass then you'll most likely be disappointed with HD650 and any other open headphones.  Get a closed headphone.

You're probably right. The HE-400 seem to be great overall headphones and I do enjoy them. When buying I thought they'd be superb as EDC cans as well, but I'm just too bass hungry unfortunately.

Does anybody happen to know of cheaper Fostex TH-900 sounding headphones? Those seem to be superb and pretty much exactly what I'm missing/ looking for, but they do cost a lot. I wish Denon's D were still around.

Thanks for the replies!

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #17,560 of 22,116
The TH-600's can sometimes be found for ~$600, and I think any HE-400 lover would appreciate the TH-600's signature and coherency and different approach to getting the same style of 'engaging sound'.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #17,561 of 22,116
  http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=198

Stock pads for the 560

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=203

pre order pads for the 560's

This is different then what was available yesterday

does anyone have any comparisons between these two pads with the HE-400?

Let the pad tests begin  . . . . They both look like mass-production versions of the "Jergmod" pads. One is basically angled, better damped pleather, the other, velour. I'd expect the velours to sound more or less the same, and the pleathers to have the same "warm" sound with a little less congestion.

But $40 bucks? Come ooooooooooooon! I'd love to see some actually test results of these on the HE-400s!

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #17,562 of 22,116

You're probably right. The HE-400 seem to be great overall headphones and I do enjoy them. When buying I thought they'd be superb as EDC cans as well, but I'm just too bass hungry unfortunately.

Does anybody happen to know of cheaper Fostex TH-900 sounding headphones? Those seem to be superb and pretty much exactly what I'm missing/ looking for, but they do cost a lot. I wish Denon's D were still around.

Thanks for the replies!

Still plenty of used Denon's on the for sale boards.  Usually a D2000 or D7000 available within the first few pages. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #17,563 of 22,116
Do any of you hear a hiss when using the Schiit Vali with this headphone? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Vali/Modi, but I found a lot of reports of hiss. additionally, has anyone had the tubes die in the Vali, and was it able to be handled without buying another? thanks in advance

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #17,564 of 22,116
Hey guys, just got the HE 400.  I have to say that they are the best pair of over ears I've owned.  Traded leathers for velours and haven't tried leather yet.  For over ears, they are the best I got.  But all I have to compare it to atm is my jh16's so ill post amateur impressions for those curious.  Im just running it through my fiio x5 + jds labs c5 amp:

Highs:  The highs are either raised or im just used to the jh16's rolled back treble.  So this is what they mean by fatigue, finally got it haha.  I'll get used to it though because it's not too bad.  Its definitely more sibilant than the 16's.  Also sounds a bit tinny, and you can hear the sharp 'S's in the high hats and words with 's' in them.  I hope it 'burns in' and goes away. 

Mids:  Female vocals sound a little more 'female' than on the jh16's.  I think this is what they call 'tonality' which is slightly better than the jh16's. Sometimes the jh16's sound a little too thick in this area, but the he-400s are just right in comparison. I also thought the mids would be horribly recessed like I've read many times through these forums.  Surprisingly, it doesn't sound like it at all! 

Lows:  Definitely not bass head headphones.   And some have described the bass as 'flat' and I would have to agree.  Its bass does exist though, and I think should do the job for non-bass heads.  It goes pretty deep. In comparison though, the jh16's have about 10x the bass power and detail.  bass speed seems to be on equal footing.  All in all though, the bass quantity isn't where I'd hoped, but it is still good enough to satisfy me when listening to tracks other than electronic/hip hop.  I can get more bass if I squeeze the cups against my head hard enough too.

Distortion:  You can listen to it pretty loudly, but anything with bass will distort and you'll have to turn it down unfortunately.  And if you're thinking about eq-ing bass, just forget about it.  Guaranteed distortion even at low levels.  In comparison, the jh16's can go up till your ears bleed and not distort. 

Details:  Its a step more detailed than my 16's.  Still a plus.  It sounds more organic than my 16's too, not like the 16's are bad though.

Sound stage:  It's surprisingly maybe just a hair bigger than the jh16's. That either speaks alot for the 16's or the he-400 stage is just meh. 

Resonance:  This is what I noticed right away coming from my jh16's to the he-400's.  Even though these are open back, I can hear the sound echo off the protective grill.  It took a few minutes to get used to, but if I concentrate, it'll still bother me.  It's not bad though because it's heaven compared to closed end headphones.  Surprisingly, the jh16's have NONE of that resonance/ echoey sound even though it is completely sealed.  However, you won't notice this if you come from closed headphones/earbuds. 

Comfort:  Okay, the jh16's beat it hands down because they're ciems.  But I'm sure you all knew that.  But anyway, people say that it's too tight, but I would actually like it a little tighter.  I got a big head too, nearly tore my mom in half when I was born.

I know its an unfair comparison, seeing that the he-400s are $300, and the jh16's $1300.  But the HE-400 holds its own very well against the jh16's and even traded a few blows.  If the HE-400 was able to put out as much bass as the jh16's, they would definitely be my go-to's.  For those that don't care about gobs of bass, or don't mind just a smidge of sibilance, these will definitely be your go-to's. 

Also this was done with less than hour of use so my impressions will probably favor the he400 more later.  At least I don't hate it out of the box like I did my jh16's, which is very promising.  These will be my desktop headphones, used in conjunction with my oculus rift head set.  I'd use my jh16's instead but the he400 cables are alot more durable than my custom silver iem cables.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #17,565 of 22,116
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of these, should be coming in the mail in the next couple of weeks.

However, I'm having a problem deciding on a suitable DAC/Amp combination (or all-in-one). My budget is around the $150 to $200 mark, can't really stretch beyond that.

At the moment I'm looking at the E17 with a view to picking up an E09k and the Audinst HUD-MX1, but I'm not sure about whether those'll be enough to drive it. The Schiit Modi/Magni combo is intriguing but the lack of portability and extra RCA outputs is kind of a problem as I want to plug my speakers into it and possibly take it around with my laptop.

Any other recommendations/advice? Cheers in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back