**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 12, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #17,597 of 22,116

I hope they meet or exceet the jergpads cuz I just ordered the focus pad A

Comfort-wise maybe, but I read a few snippets that the original modded pads were still better on the F.Response smoothing.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #17,599 of 22,116
Strange combination price wise, but the HE400 sound very good with a Schiit Magni and a Metrum Hex. The Hex doesn't have the mid bass bloom the Ayre QB-9 has, my other DAC, which results in a more linear frequency response. Nice combo which shows again the importance of the source

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #17,600 of 22,116
Dammit, I was outside all day waiting for my ifi ican micro only to find out it had been 'left at front door' an hour ago.  Bull, there was no fedex man in sight while I was hanging out at the front porch.  Filed a claim, and now I don't have my ifi ican micro which I paid to have express overnighted.  Musicdirect.com told me that it was supposed to require a signature, and that it was odd that it was mysteriously waived.  So if that delivery guy don't cough up my amp by tuesday, musicdirect will graciously send me another one.  Those guys are awesome.  The fedex delivery guy is not.  I hope they fire him and throw him in prison because he was straight up lying about 'left at front door'.  Now I'll have to wait another freaking week to figure out or not if my he-400 just needed a more powerful amplifier.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #17,602 of 22,116
Actually nevermind, I probably over-reacted.  After giving fedex hell, they made their delivery guy doublecheck his route.  He gave my package to the wrong people a few blocks away.  I got it back.  It was opened, but oh well, don't seem to be anything missing.  Anyway, the ifi ican was a great suggestion.  The bass did not clip anymore, even at high listening volumes.  Love that 3d switch, it really does get rid of that 'cave' sound inherent to headphones.  The music is out of my head, and it is improved with the grill mod. 

The he-400 would be absolutely perfect now if only the upper mids weren't so recessed, and the treble spike broken off.

Edit:  Holy crap these put out a lot of bass, when boosted.  With this new relevation, my new estimates on bass power is this:  Now my jh16's are only 3-5x more powerful.  Both are clean as a whistle without that boost though.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #17,604 of 22,116
  Actually nevermind, I probably over-reacted.  After giving fedex hell, they made their delivery guy doublecheck his route.  He gave my package to the wrong people a few blocks away.  I got it back.  It was opened, but oh well, don't seem to be anything missing.  Anyway, the ifi ican was a great suggestion.  The bass did not clip anymore, even at high listening volumes.  Love that 3d switch, it really does get rid of that 'cave' sound inherent to headphones.  The music is out of my head, and it is improved with the grill mod. 

The he-400 would be absolutely perfect now if only the upper mids weren't so recessed, and the treble spike broken off.

Edit:  Holy crap these put out a lot of bass, when boosted.  With this new relevation, my new estimates on bass power is this:  Now my jh16's are only 3-5x more powerful.  Both are clean as a whistle without that boost though.

Great, swinging more towards this amp now even more now.
Pity it did not have a balanced design as well like RSA/PB2....but they are $350-$500+

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #17,605 of 22,116
After more listening, the ifi improved the he400 by quite a bit.  However, it basically perfected my jh16's and now I'm tempted to just use'em for the desktop as well.  But if I do that, I wouldn't know what to do with my new he400's.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #17,606 of 22,116
Hmm...  trade em?  Or give the HE400 some time and see how the sound grows on you.  Some things take awhile to become accustomed to, but once that happens, you love 'em.  Or it could be that you just got unlucky and found a headphone many people love, but you just don't need.  I know that happened to me with a certain popular headphone.  Either way, seems some thinking is in order.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #17,607 of 22,116
  After more listening, the ifi improved the he400 by quite a bit.  However, it basically perfected my jh16's and now I'm tempted to just use'em for the desktop as well.  But if I do that, I wouldn't know what to do with my new he400's.

You got the internal battery powered ifi amp right and not the desktop one ? Would you say the 3D effect does not make things sound sucked out/unnatural on planars ?

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #17,608 of 22,116

You got the internal battery powered ifi amp right and not the desktop one ? Would you say the 3D effect does not make things sound sucked out/unnatural on planars ?

I got the micro, which is not battery powered.  And no, I don't use the 3d switch on the he 400.  It doesn't make it sound unnatural (but way too bright).  If I didn't have cans over my head, I would seriously be thinking that I was listening to speakers.  However, I use that 3d switch for my jh16 and wow, its a step up just like when I went from the fiio x3 to the x5.  It seems to be more effective for dark phones/iems.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #17,610 of 22,116
Canuck, these are not bass head headphones.  And they are sibilant, so far with at least 20 hours of burn in anyway.  They suck up a LOT of juice too.  So you'll need an amp that puts out at least 400mw, and that has bass boost to get 'normal' bass out of them (that's alot for open backs).  They will clip with a weaker amp/source.  I find these are really great with orchestral music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back