Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #1,726 of 1,979
Thats where I got mine from and also the 109's , spoke to the owner a couple of times in the past and am sure he will sort it out for you.
Great to know there are such nice sellers.
I noticed that you have the good old dx80 in your gear list. Years ago I made several firmwares for it, I liked its overall sound signature a lot. From your perspective how does it compare to the much newer R62P in terms of sound?

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #1,727 of 1,979
Great to know there are such nice sellers.
I noticed that you have the good old dx80 in your gear list. Years ago I made several firmwares for it, I liked its overall sound signature a lot. From your perspective how does it compare to the much newer R62P in terms of sound?
Yes it was a good sounding player apart from the battery issue which needed replacing within a year. Just tried it out now with the 109 's as you made me curious, not used it for a while as was crashing last time I used it. The Hiby is on another level which is not unexpected, the overall sound is so more detailed and the bass is so much punchier.
I remember there was a guy who used to change the firmware on the DX80, larger fonts come to mind and tweaks here and there with the sound, was that you as forgot the nickname as has been such a long time.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #1,728 of 1,979
Yes it was a good sounding player apart from the battery issue which needed replacing within a year. Just tried it out now with the 109 's as you made me curious, not used it for a while as was crashing last time I used it. The Hiby is on another level which is not unexpected, the overall sound is so more detailed and the bass is so much punchier.
I remember there was a guy who used to change the firmware on the DX80, larger fonts come to mind and tweaks here and there with the sound, was that you as forgot the nickname as has been such a long time.
Thanks! I didn't play with the ui, I removed multiple libraries in the audio architecture/pipeline, tweaked filters, changed os-nos, etc. It was a much better sound, but the old mango ui was just as ugly. 😁 My DX80 died since I haven't turned it in for years.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #1,729 of 1,979
Thanks! I didn't play with the ui, I removed multiple libraries in the audio architecture/pipeline, tweaked filters, changed os-nos, etc. It was a much better sound, but the old mango ui was just as ugly. 😁 My DX80 died since I haven't turned it in for years.
Probably have used the Hiby in the three months of ownership more than the DX80 in all the years of ownership, never really clicked with it, to make it worse when first day I got it I inserted the sd card incorrectly, it did not work, little did I know I had damaged the sd card in the process so I tried it on my nikon camera to see whats what and it destroyed my camera, very careful now with sd cards and I recheck and recheck they have been inserted correctly.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #1,730 of 1,979
Probably have used the Hiby in the three months of ownership more than the DX80 in all the years of ownership, never really clicked with it, to make it worse when first day I got it I inserted the sd card incorrectly, it did not work, little did I know I had damaged the sd card in the process so I tried it on my nikon camera to see whats what and it destroyed my camera, very careful now with sd cards and I recheck and recheck they have been inserted correctly.
Sounds promising, I am currently doing my reading before ordering. R6P II, R8 II, M23, so many options...lot's to read :)

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,731 of 1,979
Thats where I got mine from and also the 109's , spoke to the owner a couple of times in the past and am sure he will sort it out for you.

I really hope so!

I've spoken with him on the phone today. He asked me to send the device back, he will test it and if he will conclude it is faulty, he will send a replacement.
This will take one week, even more until I will get a device back... 😞 which sucks... 😞😞

I just want to say that I purchased my 64 Audio Volür, as well, from HIFONIX. After a couple of weeks it started to present channel imbalance, the right channel -if I recall correctly- started to play in lower volume than the left channel. I had to sent it back, HIFONIX had to send it to the UK Distributor, and after all that I got my new pair which works great now.

I would not consider myself unlucky but this is what has happened to me, so far, and for the first time, ever!

I would really appreciate it, if @Joe Bloggs can enlighten me/us in regards to what can possibly cause this fault: the device to be stuck at 4.4mm BAL and not output any sound from the 3.5mm

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #1,732 of 1,979
I really hope so!

I've spoken with him on the phone today. He asked me to send the device back, he will test it and if he will conclude it is faulty, he will send a replacement.
This will take one week, even more until I will get a device back... 😞 which sucks... 😞😞

I just want to say that I purchased my 64 Audio Volür, as well, from HIFONIX. After a couple of weeks it started to present channel imbalance, the right channel -if I recall correctly- started to play in lower volume than the left channel. I had to sent it back, HIFONIX had to send it to the UK Distributor, and after all that I got my new pair which works great now.

I would not consider myself unlucky but this is what has happened to me, so far, and for the first time, ever!

I would really appreciate it, if @Joe Bloggs can enlighten me/us in regards to what can possibly cause this fault: the device to be stuck at 4.4mm BAL and not output any sound from the 3.5mm
You have been unlucky, saying that it's best something goes wrong when it is relatively new otherwise you probably end up having to post it to China yourself if it went wrong a few months from now.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,733 of 1,979
You have been unlucky, saying that it's best something goes wrong when it is relatively new otherwise you probably end up having to post it to China yourself if it went wrong a few months from now.
I don't think that anyone has to ship their unit back to China unless they bought it from China. For as long as the Warranty covers you in the UK, the authorised dealer is responsible.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #1,734 of 1,979
I don't think that anyone has to ship their unit back to China unless they bought it from China. For as long as the Warranty covers you in the UK, the authorised dealer is responsible.
And this is exactly one of the main reasons to not buy from Aliexpress or Hifigo etc. Buy from local dealer, pay the extra taxes and have peace of mind if something goes wrong.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #1,735 of 1,979
I really hope so!

My guess is the 4.4mm socket is somehow mechanically damaged resulting in the DAP thinking there is a 4.4mm jack is always plugged in. It could be particulate matter, though I doubt it. For the latter, if you have a way of spraying high pressure air into the socket that might dislodge particles if that is the cause. You could try to insert a Q-tip into it as well.

Best of luck, and I hope you get this resolved soon!

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #1,736 of 1,979
My guess is the 4.4mm socket is somehow mechanically damaged resulting in the DAP thinking there is a 4.4mm jack is always plugged in. It could be particulate matter, though I doubt it. For the latter, if you have a way of spraying high pressure air into the socket that might dislodge particles if that is the cause. You could try to insert a Q-tip into it as well.

Best of luck, and I hope you get this resolved soon!
Thank you!

You are the only person who has attempted to offer a rational explanation. I wish @Joe Bloggs will enlighten us, too.

Anyways, the device is already in the Post Office, back to the shop. They said, it might take a week for them to test it. I do not understand why it can take so long, I mean, all they have to do is plug-in a couple of balanced cables and then a few unbalanced cables to see that it does not work.

No matter how the device will behave in the shop, though, I am not going to accept the same device back, I want it replaced. I have plugged in a normal 4.4mm cable and it broke, so I cannot trust this device anymore. For reference, I am posting a picture of the cable I've used, it is a normal 4.4mm cable. Nothing unusual.

I am really curious what Hiby customer service will have to say.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #1,737 of 1,979
Thank you!

You are the only person who has attempted to offer a rational explanation. I wish @Joe Bloggs will enlighten us, too.

Anyways, the device is already in the Post Office, back to the shop. They said, it might take a week for them to test it. I do not understand why it can take so long, I mean, all they have to do is plug-in a couple of balanced cables and then a few unbalanced cables to see that it does not work.

No matter how the device will behave in the shop, though, I am not going to accept the same device back, I want it replaced. I have plugged in a normal 4.4mm cable and it broke, so I cannot trust this device anymore. For reference, I am posting a picture of the cable I've used, it is a normal 4.4mm cable. Nothing unusual.

I am really curious what Hiby customer service will have to say.
There are extra contacts in the jack that form a switch.

If this switch is damaged (as it seems to be) a change of the jack is usually called for.

Once the jack is replaced, the unit is not any more likely to have the same fault recur than a wholly different unit.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #1,738 of 1,979
There are extra contacts in the jack that form a switch.

If this switch is damaged (as it seems to be) a change of the jack is usually called for.

Once the jack is replaced, the unit is not any more likely to have the same fault recur than a wholly different unit.

Excuse me, what do you mean? Are you saying that the jack of my cable is damaged? Can you please clarify, why do you say that my cable is damaged, IF I understand you correctly? I have tried the exact same cable with my FiiO BTR7 today and it works fine. With the Hiby this same cable was working fine, as well. It was the 3.5mm audio output that was not playing on the HiBy DAP. Today, though, I have tried the same balanced cable and then another 3.5mm unbalanced cable with my BTR7 and both outputs worked fine.

So, what exactly do you mean?

I am asking because IF this balanced cable is damaged, I will throw it away right now!

PS: I have very rarely used that specific cable and jack. I am into Bluetooth so I am not listening wired. This cable and its jack was stored inside the package of my RAPTGO HOOK-X and I used it just out of curiosity to observe how the DAP functions and sounds, BALANCED.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #1,739 of 1,979
Excuse me, what do you mean? Are you saying that the jack of my cable is damaged? Can you please clarify, why do you say that my cable is damaged, IF I understand you correctly? I have tried the exact same cable with my FiiO BTR7 today and it works fine. With the Hiby this same cable was working fine, as well. It was the 3.5mm audio output that was not playing on the HiBy DAP. Today, though, I have tried the same balanced cable and then another 3.5mm unbalanced cable with my BTR7 and both outputs worked fine.

So, what exactly do you mean?

I am asking because IF this balanced cable is damaged, I will throw it away right now!

PS: I have very rarely used that specific cable and jack. I am into Bluetooth so I am not listening wired. This cable and its jack was stored inside the package of my RAPTGO HOOK-X and I used it just out of curiosity to observe how the DAP functions and sounds, BALANCED.
If I read @Joe Bloggs post right, he is saying there is possibility of broken switch inside 4.4 mm port of the device itself. I don't think he is refering your 4.4 mm male jack.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #1,740 of 1,979
Thank you @bk123 and @Etx1 for clarifying. I'm not a native English speaker.

So, may I ask you, does @Joe Bloggs imply in his message that I should wait for a replacement of the 4.4mm balanced port on the device itself and then have it posted back to me, instead of sending me a brand new unit? Is that what he means?!

Because IF that is what he means, I am not willing to accept that! This is infuriating! The device, itself is faulty, so why should I wait for a month, two months, who knows for how long, for this device to get back to the factory in China, have the port replaced, sent back to the UK shop and then sent to me?!?! This is completely inacceptable!

This device was purchased on 24/03/2024. IF this is what they mean, I will make whatever I possibly can to get a full refund!
I would prefer a replacement with a fully functionable and brand new device, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back