HiBy FC6--R2R dongle DAC reborn
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #151 of 228
I am following this and I have raised both issues to headquarters.

Do note that any repair or replacement, and also the return shipping to you, are all free. We currently have no choice about the shipping to us, as we do not have the means to reach return shipping agreements with couriers worldwide.
Hi there Joe. I'm planning to use the FC6 as a dac then lineout into a separate amp. I was wondering what's the volume i should set it as? (To achieve a preferably 2V of output).

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #152 of 228
Hi there Joe. I'm planning to use the FC6 as a dac then lineout into a separate amp. I was wondering what's the volume i should set it as? (To achieve a preferably 2V of output).
You would want to set the FC6 to max volume in that case. Unless you notice any clipping / distortion in the output sound, then experiment with lower volume settings.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #153 of 228
All dongles and therefore obviously also the FC6 have two major limitations that prevent them from competing on equal terms with desktop solutions costing thousands of euros/dollars. These two limits mainly refer to the current... both incoming (power supply) and outgoing (amplification). By removing or circumventing these two limitations, dongles easily reach listening levels that come close to or even allow them to surpass desktop DACs that cost up to ten times their cost. The hub you see in the photo (twin of the PulwTop) allows you to remove the first of these two limits by giving the dongle a step-down switching power supply which has only the dongle's request as its limit. In fact, when connected to the hub, the FC6 manages to absorb current peaks that approach the instantaneous watt as shown by the display on the hub. This translates into an absolute black level, greater power, much faster transients, improved definition, the sound becomes crystal clear, voices improve and become three-dimensional as happens with instruments much more vivid and natural. Basically the FC6 expresses itself to the maximum of what it can without worrying about the current it manages to obtain from the streamer because it is no longer it who provides it. The question, however, does not only concern the quantity of current, but its speed in flowing through the dongle whose request is satisfied within a millisecond. As regards the other limit (amplification) this is circumvented through the use of a signal balancer/unbalancer which increases the output voltage from the dongle which can (if necessary) provide up to 8 volts which alone 'FC6 could not do. In addition to this, the balancer balances the signal of the FC6 equipped with an exclusively unbalanced output and, being of a professional type, it does not add any distortion, allowing the dongle to deliver much more than the few volts it would be capable of on its own. The stage becomes enormous, the sound takes shape and spreads in the air, everything becomes alive, physical, real. This whole chain ends in a Cayin iHA-6 which, thanks to the high voltage supplied by the balancer and the dongle doped by the hub, easily powers a Hifiman HE6... and believe me... listening to an FC6 with an HE6 is truly a incredible experience. All this without consuming a bit of power from the streamer, be it a phone/tablet/PC.

HUB:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.3aa35132nkVCm5&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Balancer/Unbalancer:

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K
Hi man, can you show me how you set up your FC6 with the balancer/unbalancer? I just start this audiophile hobby recently thus first time hearing about this gear. Is it the same as an amplifier for example topping nx7? Thanks for your time man :)

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #154 of 228
Hi man, can you show me how you set up your FC6 with the balancer/unbalancer? I just start this audiophile hobby recently thus first time hearing about this gear. Is it the same as an amplifier for example topping nx7? Thanks for your time man :)
It is not like an amplifier, but like a PRE which increases the volts coming out of the dongle before taking them to an amplifier and in addition to this it balances an unbalanced signal (FC6) or does the opposite by unbalancing a balanced signal (for example if you want to connect a dongle that has a balanced output in an amplifier that has only unbalanced input). It depends on the connections you have on the dongle and the amplifier you want to connect to it. If you have an amplifier with a balanced input (2X xlr 3 pin) you must exit the dongle in unbalanced (3.5mm to 2X jack RCA) and then from the Art Clean Box PRO with a balanced cable (2X xlr 3 pin) to the amplifier. If, however, you only have an amplifier with unbalanced inputs (2X RCA jack) you must output in balanced mode from the dongle (4,4mm to 2X xlr 3 pin) to the Art Clean Box PRO which will then output in unbalanced mode with 2X jack RCA. The signal cannot remain as it is (balanced/unbalanced)... if you enter with an unbalanced signal it balances it, while if you enter with a balanced signal it unbalances it. On the front of the Art Clean Box PRO you have two knobs (separate, one for when it balances and one for when it unbalances because inside the two circuits are separate) to increase or decrease the volts you want to send out to the amplifier and therefore you can greatly increase the current that comes out of the dongles. It basically works like a PRE that increases the volts before taking them to the amplifier (balancing or unbalancing the signal at the same time). I hope I have been clear enough.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #155 of 228
It is not like an amplifier, but like a PRE which increases the volts coming out of the dongle before taking them to an amplifier and in addition to this it balances an unbalanced signal (FC6) or does the opposite by unbalancing a balanced signal (for example if you want to connect a dongle that has a balanced output in an amplifier that has only unbalanced input). It depends on the connections you have on the dongle and the amplifier you want to connect to it. If you have an amplifier with a balanced input (2X xlr 3 pin) you must exit the dongle in unbalanced (3.5mm to 2X jack RCA) and then from the Art Clean Box PRO with a balanced cable (2X xlr 3 pin) to the amplifier. If, however, you only have an amplifier with unbalanced inputs (2X RCA jack) you must output in balanced mode from the dongle (4,4mm to 2X xlr 3 pin) to the Art Clean Box PRO which will then output in unbalanced mode with 2X jack RCA. The signal cannot remain as it is (balanced/unbalanced)... if you enter with an unbalanced signal it balances it, while if you enter with a balanced signal it unbalances it. On the front of the Art Clean Box PRO you have two knobs (separate, one for when it balances and one for when it unbalances because inside the two circuits are separate) to increase or decrease the volts you want to send out to the amplifier and therefore you can greatly increase the current that comes out of the dongles. It basically works like a PRE that increases the volts before taking them to the amplifier (balancing or unbalancing the signal at the same time). I hope I have been clear enough.
Oh I got it now. That is an amazing explanation mate. Easy to understand. Greatly appreciate it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #156 of 228
The screen looks misaligned, any way it could be fixed?
1000069533.jpg

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #157 of 228
The screen looks misaligned, any way it could be fixed?
1000069533.jpg
Nope. Just return it and do warranty claim. Afaik, a guy in RU7 thread also had that problem with their RU7

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #158 of 228
All dongles and therefore obviously also the FC6 have two major limitations that prevent them from competing on equal terms with desktop solutions costing thousands of euros/dollars. These two limits mainly refer to the current... both incoming (power supply) and outgoing (amplification). By removing or circumventing these two limitations, dongles easily reach listening levels that come close to or even allow them to surpass desktop DACs that cost up to ten times their cost. The hub you see in the photo (twin of the PulwTop) allows you to remove the first of these two limits by giving the dongle a step-down switching power supply which has only the dongle's request as its limit. In fact, when connected to the hub, the FC6 manages to absorb current peaks that approach the instantaneous watt as shown by the display on the hub. This translates into an absolute black level, greater power, much faster transients, improved definition, the sound becomes crystal clear, voices improve and become three-dimensional as happens with instruments much more vivid and natural. Basically the FC6 expresses itself to the maximum of what it can without worrying about the current it manages to obtain from the streamer because it is no longer it who provides it. The question, however, does not only concern the quantity of current, but its speed in flowing through the dongle whose request is satisfied within a millisecond. As regards the other limit (amplification) this is circumvented through the use of a signal balancer/unbalancer which increases the output voltage from the dongle which can (if necessary) provide up to 8 volts which alone 'FC6 could not do. In addition to this, the balancer balances the signal of the FC6 equipped with an exclusively unbalanced output and, being of a professional type, it does not add any distortion, allowing the dongle to deliver much more than the few volts it would be capable of on its own. The stage becomes enormous, the sound takes shape and spreads in the air, everything becomes alive, physical, real. This whole chain ends in a Cayin iHA-6 which, thanks to the high voltage supplied by the balancer and the dongle doped by the hub, easily powers a Hifiman HE6... and believe me... listening to an FC6 with an HE6 is truly a incredible experience. All this without consuming a bit of power from the streamer, be it a phone/tablet/PC.

HUB:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.3aa35132nkVCm5&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Balancer/Unbalancer:

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K
Hi Polky74, I am planning to use an amplifier (topping l30) for this without using the pre-amp. Can you suggest the volume adjustment for the FC6 and the amplifier for the good sound performance? Thanks again for your time mate.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #159 of 228
Hi Polky74, I am planning to use an amplifier (topping l30) for this without using the pre-amp. Can you suggest the volume adjustment for the FC6 and the amplifier for the good sound performance? Thanks again for your time mate.
There isn't a real rule, but a good start is to try with 90% of the maximum volume (so 28) but no one is stopping you from using the maximum one (31) and listening to see if the background noise increases significantly. it is the first indicator that lets you know about the presence of distortion. Hiby has never responded clearly to this question, perhaps because the best way to find out is to carry out tests which, among other things, should be done with the same amplifier used. So try 31... if you feel the background noise increasing, turn it down until you can't hear it anymore. To test I use the last track of Paolo Nutini's album These Streets (Alloway Grove) which from minute 8:00 to minute 11:00 is completely silent... but still playing so useful for listening to any rustling sounds. :wink:

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #160 of 228
There's no denying it, Andy from Donglemadness is ace... I'm trying his favorite dongle (FC6) with his favorite iem (Tanchjim Zero) and I have to say they have perfect synergy. How a 15 euro iem can sound like this is a mystery to me... but I think a large part of it is due to the incredible capabilities of the FC6. If you want to try the combination, just remember to use large bore tips for the Zero (I use Azla Sedna Earfit) because its brilliance is masterfully kept at bay by the FC6 and the bass which for some is always a little on this iem thanks to the FC6 they achieve simply perfect quantity and quality. Try it and let me know if you love this pairing like Andy and me. :wink:

zero.jpg

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #161 of 228
There's no denying it, Andy from Donglemadness is ace... I'm trying his favorite dongle (FC6) with his favorite iem (Tanchjim Zero) and I have to say they have perfect synergy. How a 15 euro iem can sound like this is a mystery to me... but I think a large part of it is due to the incredible capabilities of the FC6. If you want to try the combination, just remember to use large bore tips for the Zero (I use Azla Sedna Earfit) because its brilliance is masterfully kept at bay by the FC6 and the bass which for some is always a little on this iem thanks to the FC6 they achieve simply perfect quantity and quality. Try it and let me know if you love this pairing like Andy and me. :wink:

That seals it. Almost got the zero couple of days back but didn't. Will get one now. Andy talks about a wide soundstage on this. You concur? And Andy is King indeed! Got a couple of dongles and the unique sounding planar Sivga Nightingale (his pick for best iem of last year albeit unique tuning with a Velvety Veil that might not be for everyone) on his reccos. As he pitched it, sivga-fc6 proves an ethereal combo for metal music and jazz vocalists. Time to get the Tanchjim Zero!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #162 of 228
That seals it. Almost got the zero couple of days back but didn't. Will get one now. Andy talks about a wide soundstage on this. You concur? And Andy is King indeed! Got a couple of dongles and the unique sounding planar Sivga Nightingale (his pick for best iem of last year albeit unique tuning with a Velvety Veil that might not be for everyone) on his reccos. As he pitched it, sivga-fc6 proves an ethereal combo for metal music and jazz vocalists. Time to get the Tanchjim Zero!
Of course you can't compare the soundstage of the Zero with that of sacred monsters like Mest MKII or IER-Z1R but for its price it works miracles even in that. The main characteristic, instead of the Zero, is a crystalline, balanced, organic, full, natural, defined, detailed, extended sound. Practically everything you could want in a single driver IEM and if you find the right synergy and someone told you that their cost was 500 euros instead of the 15 euros, you would have no reason not to believe him. But be careful because it is precisely the combination with the FC6 that creates this sound... they will probably also be perfect for other R2R dap/dongles (I have to try them with the RU6 as soon as I get home). If paired with a bright and analytical source you may not have the same result, so it is better to stick to analogue sounding dongles (PAW S2/CDA M1P/RU6). Another thing to keep in mind is that despite their low cost they require good amplification otherwise no bass and lots of highs... so don't underestimate them. At home I will also try them with the Hifiman EF400 (R2R and all the current they want) I think it's another magical combination. Once you have tried them, tell me what value you would have paid for them for the sound they have... for me, as I have already said, no less than 500 euros. Tell me...

P.S. Obviously, being a single driver (beryllium coated for 15 euros... lol) it requires a good run-in, but right away you will understand what you have bought.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #163 of 228
Of course you can't compare the soundstage of the Zero with that of sacred monsters like Mest MKII or IER-Z1R but for its price it works miracles even in that. The main characteristic, instead of the Zero, is a crystalline, balanced, organic, full, natural, defined, detailed, extended sound. Practically everything you could want in a single driver IEM and if you find the right synergy and someone told you that their cost was 500 euros instead of the 15 euros, you would have no reason not to believe him. But be careful because it is precisely the combination with the FC6 that creates this sound... they will probably also be perfect for other R2R dap/dongles (I have to try them with the RU6 as soon as I get home). If paired with a bright and analytical source you may not have the same result, so it is better to stick to analogue sounding dongles (PAW S2/CDA M1P/RU6). Another thing to keep in mind is that despite their low cost they require good amplification otherwise no bass and lots of highs... so don't underestimate them. At home I will also try them with the Hifiman EF400 (R2R and all the current they want) I think it's another magical combination. Once you have tried them, tell me what value you would have paid for them for the sound they have... for me, as I have already said, no less than 500 euros. Tell me...

P.S. Obviously, being a single driver (beryllium coated for 15 euros... lol) it requires a good run-in, but right away you will understand what you have bought.
Righto! Will pair it up with the FC 6 and the power-hub thingy!

Edit: Placed my order!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #164 of 228

I am seriously blown! How does this cheapie sound so spacious, balanced and coherent? Detail retrieval could ofcourse be better but hey this is 15 euros as you said. It extends well too, relatively airy, not congested and drops off right before sibilance area (and with fc6, that isn't anyways an issue) seems to demand and scales up with more power. Slapped in a wide large Tang Sancai balanced eartips.

Andyaudiovault tells me that these have thicker diaphragm than normal DDs. So it will take 150 hours of burn in, run in, time to bed the drivers . And then it gets even better. Can't wait to see what else this little thing can do!

Great timing, your post, else wouldn't have gotten this.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #165 of 228
I am seriously blown! How does this cheapie sound so spacious, balanced and coherent? Detail retrieval could ofcourse be better but hey this is 15 euros as you said. It extends well too, relatively airy, not congested and drops off right before sibilance area (and with fc6, that isn't anyways an issue) seems to demand and scales up with more power. Slapped in a wide large Tang Sancai balanced eartips.

Andyaudiovault tells me that these have thicker diaphragm than normal DDs. So it will take 150 hours of burn in, run in, time to bed the drivers . And then it gets even better. Can't wait to see what else this little thing can do!

Great timing, your post, else wouldn't have gotten this.
The only real shame is that there isn't a version with a 4.4mm termination to be able to listen to them with other dongles that would take advantage of the balanced output to double the power... power that the Zeros really need to shine. Fortunately, with the FC6 they have such a high synergy that even this is overcome, which could be a problem with other dongles.

P.S. the details will arrive with the running-in, certainly not at IEM totl levels but certainly many more than I am expressing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back