Headroom Airhead = Big Disappointment
Jun 11, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 39
Jedai - I did try that headphone out jack just for S&Gs. I also tried a few other sources, and got the same results. Even tried a different cable.

Ken - I'm aware of the return policy and appreciate. It is the reason I continue to do business with Headroom. Once again, my review was not an attack an anyone who happens to like the Airhead and it certainly wasn't an attack on Headroom.

I actually have a lot of respect for Headroom, and I think they run one of the best mail/web order businesses around. That said, I do happen to be a US customer who is unhappy - but not with the level of service from HR, just with the particular unit I received.

In your earlier post, you made a valid point about looking for sound quality and not just raw volume. I wholeheartedly agree with you. For the record - high SQ at high volume levels with no distortion and portability is my ultimate goal.

As jpelg has pointed out, my expectations may very well be too high. Even so, I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 39
Damn this thread got real hot real fast...

Seeing how your coming out of the line source I would first try changing batteries. If you still hear the distortion I would call Headroom.

Are you expecting too much? Maybe, but... I don't think it's too much to ask that something not introduce audible distortion.

Whil it's true that this as an airhead and not a total airhead the differences between the two aren't that great. As Tyll says the difference is only some upgraded components and the price tag to go with. Tyll is quite vocal that the Airhead is the better buy of the two. He also isn't kidding when asked "is it worth the difference" he said "If your an audiophile and can hear it, yeah."

Headroom is a great company to deal with and if you just aren't satisfied with the product by all means return it. The AH is at the very bottom of thier line. Headroom does have a 30-day return policy.

From your inital descriptions it really did sound like the source was way to hot and that still could be the case only now I'd say its probably a bad opamp or, more likly, something not doing it's job on the board and causing the opamp to get signals it shouldnt be.

Like I suggested, try replacing the batteries and see if that helps. It's possible that the batteries are dead or bad and that could be the root of the problems.

Even if you don't like the AH I don't suggest gicing up on the other headroom products. Of course if your looking for portable theres the airhead series and the porta corda.

I'll be honest and say that I find the PC to be a better amp but... It sucks batteries like crazy (and thats worth something as the AH will sound better longer than the PC) and I prefer the crossfeed in the AH. In both models the x-feed can be bypassed.

If you find that you just don't care for the AH but require the portability I'd suggest checking out the Porta Corda but I don;t think the return policy is the same. Even still, PCs tend to go fast on the buy/sell forum here.

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by crymsonsunset
For the record - high SQ at high volume levels with no distortion and portability is my ultimate goal.

I'll forego the requisite lecture on high volume levels; although I'll say that if that's how you listen, buy the cheapest amp you can get 'cuz you won't be able to tell the difference fairly soon
evil_smiley.gif

But as for your statement above, in my experience if your goal is to drive your headphones to high volume levels and still get great sound and no distortion, you need a higher quality amp than anything in this price range (AirHead, PortaCorda, etc.). You might want to try something like the Supreme.

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #19 of 39
Part of the problem is inherent in portable audio, especially portable audio where the amp designer is trying not to eat batteries like crazy.

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say the amp distorts at high volume levels. Assuming the power supply section of the amp is designed well (and for the Airheads, I imagine it is), the only solution is to add voltage. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that anyone's managed to DIY the new Airheads into accepting higher voltage from battery packs or some such. I know the PC has similar problems, but it can be modded to accept a battery pack.

Bottom line: single digit voltage numbers mean compromises. Live with it, or get something that will eat batteries instead.

There are some things you can do to mitigate the problems. First, if you're getting distortion from a PCDP/amp combo, blame the PCDP first. It's amazing what low quality levels they're getting away with in these units these days. Try turning the source's volume down all the way, then turn the amp almost all the way up, and then turn the source up until you get enough volume. That puts most of the load on the amp, relieving the poor overworked PCDP some. If that helps, it's time to get a better PCDP. I just got one of the last Panasonic SL-CT570s, and it's a lot better than their current SL-CT580, but it still has audible problems.

If this distortion you're hearing is entirely within the PCDP, it might be that the Airhead is just letting you hear it better. You wouldn't be the first to hear problems in the source after adding an amp, crymsonsunset.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 39
... he did try it out of various other sources too didn't he?

Hey crymson, did you try running your Airhead out of a 15V external power supply? If your amp is NOT faulty (little chance of that though
rolleyes.gif
) that ought to fix it.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 11, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #22 of 39
IMHO, the power supply is one of the main reason portable gear don't sound as good as it could. In the case of the ct570, even with the supplied wall wart, it is worse than batteries. I have built regulated PSU's for my ct570 and d25 with good results. Smoother, less grain(particularlly with the ct570), a more solid soundstage.

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #23 of 39
I had a similar experience when I bought my TA a year or so ago. It was my first headphone amp and I think my expectations were simply too high. I honestly wanted to flush the thing down the toilet. Although mine didn't distort at high volume levels, I couldn't get it to go loud enough. I kept hearing fellow head-fiers say that the level slightly under halfway up was way too loud and I couldn't get satisfaction fully cranked! Two things happened. After a few days it started sounding better (hang around here long enough and you'll come across the age old argument of: "did it sound better or did my ears just get used to the sound") and it also seemed to crank more volume. Time passsed and I was more or less satisfied. Truth be told, I have a JMT built cha-47 altoids, which in my opinion kicks the TA's butt and a Porta Corda which isn't quite as sweet as the Altoids, but it raises less eyebrows when going through security at airports. Bottom line...PM JMT and have him build you a diy CHA-47 in an Altoids tin. Work with the TAH for now and make sure to return it to headroom before your 30 days are up...my $.02

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by crymsonsunset
Still, it can drive the Sony earbuds to reasonable volumes without much distortion. Sure, it distorts like a mofo on crack when you get too wild with the volume knob, but even with some of the loudest program material (just about any Dream Theater album) you can usually turn it up to around 8, and the good ol' 510 might make your ears ring after a while with a pair of earbuds. (NOTE: I'm not hear to debate what is or isn't healthy for your hearing. I'm well aware that excessive volume levels can cause hearing loss.)

What I was expecting from the HAh: Something that would rival the sound I can get by plugging in any pair of headphones I own to the headphone jack on my Yamaha RX-V995 A/V Receiver. High volume with lots of clarity - that is what I desire.

... increased the volume, there was audible static and the output quickly became horribly distorted.

I could only achieve any kind of acceptable sound at low volume, What a complete piece of junk and waste of money. What gives? Is there any way to get the kind of sound I desire in a portable package? What do you think? What are your experiences with the Headroom Airhead?

you have talked about wanting loudness and clarity.... you will go deaf soon, and clarity will become a constant reminder... in the form of tinitus (ringing), for the rest of your life. you will be deaf, unless you already are. if you hear any ringing after listening to music, you have done permanent damage.. TURN DOWN THE VOLUME AND SAVE YOUR HEARING. also, have you been using the vol. on your equipment all the way up?? (max). it will distort then... and your HEARING WILL as well...

Jun 16, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 39
LOL! If crymsonsunset keeps listening to music at grossly distorting volumes, and gets tinnitus along the way, he'll join the ranks of former Head-Fiers at a place called "Crap-Fi." Or is that place "No-Fi?"

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
that doesnt sound right at all. are you using FRESH ALKALINE batteries? they make a big difference.

Good point. The TA/TAH performance suffers when using rechargeables.

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

The TA/TAH performance suffers when using rechargeables.

That's BS. Granted that the voltages between a brand new alkaline battery, and that of a newly charged NiMh battery may differ slightly. But not enought to make the TA sound go from great all the way to crappy.

The Airhead/TA's are supposely designed to be used portably. If it only works well with a wall wart, or for the first five minutes of brand new alkalines, then it IS crap!

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 39
make sure the battery is fully charged anyway, alkaline preferably! =) it makes a big difference, a fresh and a half depleted alkaline sounds totally different.

also, give the airhead some good burn-in time. on occassions it make a big big difference.

and, give your ears a moment to adjust to the new sound.

if all else fails, return it!
headroom 30-day policy is gooood.

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
hmmm....i was think of purchasing an airhead or TA soon....now im not so sure.

I'm starting to heavily look in the direction of the porta corda.

Now you have 455 posts on this group. I would think you had sense enough not to make a statement like that?

I just can't believe you said that.

That was silly.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back