Headphone Sightings 2
Jul 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2,236 of 12,415
Maybe it's because Grados are manufactured in NYC, Brooklyn specifically.  They also sell them in J &R Music which is a large and popular electronics store in NYC.

I have yet to see anybody else with Grados.  I recently started using my SR-80i's at work and half expected questions like "where did you get those things from?" or "what era are they from?".  Noise cancelling Bose are popular where I work (blech!). 

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that grado is such a "fab" in NYC. I thought that only audiophiles buy grado products. Unless, audiophiles are prevalent in NYC? I'm going cross country by car, going south from Ontario to Florida, I hope I'll stop by.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #2,237 of 12,415
Next time I pass my NYC, I'll be sure to check out some stores that sell Grado. I probably won't buy a pair, but I'd like to at least hear the Grado sound everyone talks about.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #2,238 of 12,415

Quote:
^^ Grado limits shipments outside of the US, so they're incredibly expensive there.

????

That would be Europe...not here. I can get Grados for only $50 more than the US list. Funny 'cause the Grado distributor is in Montreal.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,239 of 12,415
It's everywhere outside of the US. Thats the reason for the $50 markup. You can buy them in Europe too, but at a huge markup. In fact, they have licensed distributors all over the world - but a US distributor cannot sell outside of the US. So prices are way higher outside the US.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2,240 of 12,415
The only people that wear headphones in public where I live are emo kiddies and hipsters. 99% of the time they're wearing Skullcandy's around their neck, not even plugged into anything just because they think it makes them cool; I wish I had some steel toe cap boots to kick them with.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2,241 of 12,415

Quote:
It's everywhere outside of the US. Thats the reason for the $50 markup. You can buy them in Europe too, but at a huge markup. In fact, they have licensed distributors all over the world - but a US distributor cannot sell outside of the US. So prices are way higher outside the US.

$50 on a set of RS1s here in Canada is not much more IMHO.
biggrin.gif

In Europe, I've seen them go for 50% more.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2,242 of 12,415

Quote:
The only people that wear headphones in public where I live are emo kiddies and hipsters. 99% of the time they're wearing Skullcandy's around their neck, not even plugged into anything just because they think it makes them cool; I wish I had some steel toe cap boots to kick them with.

That's basically how it is where I am too.  I'm terrified of wearing proper headphones outside, primarily because I'd automatically have to grow a beard, wear tight jean cut-offs, and purchase some plaid.  Not my style...

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #2,243 of 12,415

Quote:

That trend is growing here, with kids wearing WeSC headphones they purchased in the same store where they bought their clothes.

I just do my thing and have my beloved DT 48 on my head or around my neck. It's not really my business if they choose style over sound, but I will correct them if they tell me they think their headphones sound great.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #2,244 of 12,415

Quote:
Yea I saw our German national soccer team wearing some Beats by Dr. Dre.

mmm..New Zealand football team (yes, Americans football not hand egg) = one ibuds, one Bose QC and one Dr. Dre Beats

*shudder*

(Oh BTW, I do follow the NFL and play Madden a bit..rather easy on All-Madden tbh. Audible glories Peyton Manning style).

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2,245 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:

mmm..New Zealand football team (yes, Americans football not hand egg) = one ibuds, one Bose QC and one Dr. Dre Beats

*shudder*

(Oh BTW, I do follow the NFL and play Madden a bit..rather easy on All-Madden tbh. Audible glories Peyton Manning style).

Just a slight detour....I did play Rugby in high school and yes there is no padding. But about 20 years ago, I got to go to a Grey Cup party (Canadian Super Bowl....and let's not forget North American football was invented in Canada and later transferred to the US when McGill University played Harvard many years later).

Now CFL players are smaller than NFL players (and some would say quicker...3 downs and a wider/longer field), but man these linebackers and linemen were GIANTS!!!

I would gladly get hit my a fellow 5'10" rugby player WITHOUT padding than a 6'5" (300lbs) monster of a linebacker WITH pads....NO QUESTION.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2,246 of 12,415
i love these malibu rum "radio maliboom-boom" commercials.

i believe the one guy is wearing k240s???

i can't figure out what the other guy is wearing.  any helpers???

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2,247 of 12,415
I think those are vintage Sony - DR-3A, DR-6A or something in that line.  I remember seeing one similar on Ebay recently.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2,248 of 12,415

Quote:
i love these malibu rum "radio maliboom-boom" commercials.

i believe the one guy is wearing k240s???

i can't figure out what the other guy is wearing.  any helpers???

haha, when I saw the AKG k240, I was immediately agreeing with him on everything

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #2,249 of 12,415
In the airport recently I saw two pair of HD280Pro and a pair of HD201.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back