Headphone Festival 2011 in Tokyo May 7th, 2011 PHOTOS (BANDWIDTH WARNING)
May 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #33 of 76
Talk about being lost in the candy shop, that was super sweet, excelent job My Friend with ton's of photo's. Felt like I was there with You, Thank's Much!

May 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #34 of 76
This adds yet another reason to head to Japan... My wallet will cry if I ever go there.

May 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #35 of 76
Thank you for the kind words everybody!

Quote:
BTW, did you get to listen to the Edition 10?

Very briefly- on those behemoth monoblocks.  But with unfamiliar material, quite honestly most stuff at that level sounded good to me!

Quote:
Why did you have to report that ALO had the ATH-W5000 on sale for such a good price? I don't really need yet ANOTHER pair of 'phones.... but I could not resist! Another $700 gone forever!

I always justify headphone purchases to myself by saying, 'Well I can always sell them and get most of my money back.'  YEAH RIGHT!  Like I ever sell anything I buy!  Especially if I like it! 

I heard a pair of the ATH-1000's at the Chicago meet and liked them.  Then this month's Stereophile said some nice things about the ATH-W5000.... and then YOU have to go and tell me about ALO's nice pricing!

I am SO with you there.  I'm still thinking about picking up a set myself.  And like you my rationale would be, "I can always sell them- what's to lose?"  And like you, I would grow too attached to them to ever let them go.  It's a financial black hole.

Quote:
Wasn't the companie's name handling earosnics and Colorfly called Musica Acoustics? the website is http://musicaacoustics.jp/
The guy in charge is Dimitri, a fairily popular seller here on Headfi.
He is running a webshop for enlish speeking customres as well, I personaly ordered my radius and Ortofons so highly recommended..

I'm not sure.  They seem to be expanding their reach quickly and perhaps they have a few distributors throughout the world.  It took me a while to figure out the actual name of the company (as opposed to the product line/ model).  Thanks for the contact; I'll check it out.  It might be him because he spoke perfect English- again, really nice guy.

Quote:
Excellent writeup! Photo's are great as well. Those new Earsonics look mighty good and a whole lot sturdier than their previous build. What's this thing? Looks really nice. Timelord Chordette? Never heard of it. Did you listen to it? 

I did get a chance to hear it through some Ultrasone Edition 8s.  They were from the same distributor.  The Chordette looks like a little version of the Chord (shown earlier in the post) and it's part of a line of 'mini' components.  http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products.asp?cat=16  The Chordette I was listening to was being used as a DAC feeding another headphone amplifier.  Having never listened to the 8s and with unfamiliar listening material, all I can say is it sounded nice.

Quote:
Nice, thanks for uploading the photos. What did you think of the Sr-009?

I actually didn't hear them at the show (I know), but did get to hear them alongside the 007 at another shop.  Never having heard either and only able to hear each one for a few minutes each, I can only say that at the moment I prefer the more laid back sound of the 007.  The 009s seem to have a lot more forward midrange.  For a much better impression: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548917/headphone-festival-2011-in-tokyo-may-7th-2011#post_7457238  Arnaud actually owns the 007s.

Quote:
Talk about being lost in the candy shop, that was super sweet, excelent job My Friend with ton's of photo's. Felt like I was there with You, Thank's Much!

Seriously- I think any Head-Fier would be happy to die right there.  I told Arnaud that before I went I wasn't sure I could spend the whole 7 hours there (11:00a-6:00p).  But afterwards I think I could've easily spent a week or two at such a show.

May 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #37 of 76
Wow amazing photos! I would dream to going to a meet like this, like audio heaven lol... great stuff, also great to see the W5000 paired with the HA5000, I am sure the sound was spectacular. Nice to be back on the forums again... 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #38 of 76
Do you have any other info on the other store you visited?

You know any specifics on where dynamic audio is located? I'm visiting japan in the summer, and I'm hoping I might be able to stop by.

May 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #40 of 76
That is amazing. Thanks for covering it. The Japanese are so lucky, in that respect.
beerchug.gif
 I have to get over to Japan at some point in the distant future.

May 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #41 of 76

Quote:
You know any specifics on where dynamic audio is located? I'm visiting japan in the summer, and I'm hoping I might be able to stop by.

Hopefully you can see this map:  http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214158545034932539264.0004a21740f974ae7c16a&ll=35.69905,139.768742&spn=0.005454,0.010589&z=17

'Dynamic Audio Sound House' is the place with the headphones and accessories on the first floor.  And then the listening rooms are on the upper floors.  The other two shops have mostly home audio and a lot of used equipment.  But they're very close by so might be worth a visit.  Even though it's noisy, Yodobashi (the giant electronics/everything store, right next to Akihabara station) is nice to visit because it's so large and you can sort of disappear and listen to stuff anonymously if you know what I mean.  I guess it's also a good place to test noise isolation?  =)

If you can't read/access the map, PM me.

May 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #42 of 76
Oh my gosh it looks like audiophile heaven!

I wish I could go!! :frowning2:

May 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #43 of 76
I'm always jealous seeing the W5000's paired with the HA5000. It's like you could buy 3 street value W5000's and still not have enough to buy for it's amp pairing....
Oh well. Maybe someday I will visit Japan- the land of Audio Technica, and all my wildest dreams will come true.

May 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #44 of 76

Quote:
I'm always jealous seeing the W5000's paired with the HA5000. It's like you could buy 3 street value W5000's and still not have enough to buy for it's amp pairing....
Oh well. Maybe someday I will visit Japan- the land of Audio Technica, and all my wildest dreams will come true.

I have the W5000/HA5000 combination, and I can tell you that the W5000 doesn't sound any better with the HA5000 than it does with my other amps. The HA5000 is actually a problematic match because its gain of 6X is way too high for the W5000 which limits significantly the useful range of the attenuator.

The W5000 have an interesting sound (very detailed and airy), but they're flawed. In particular, they sound rather thin - instruments lack body.

In other words, there really is no reason to be jealous seeing the W5000/HA5000...

May 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #45 of 76
Nice photos! It's good to see Dyna5555 still exists as a headphone store. At one stage some years ago it ceased being so, but seems to have returned to its former glory.

I'm definitely going to the Autumn festival (and we're throwing ideas around about a Head-Fi meets at the time) so I suggest people start saving now if they want to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back