HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Mar 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,219 of 1,464
The LCD-X West demo was just delivered to me by FedEx. At 7PM Saturday! I was starting to worry they weren't going to show. Everything is in order, thanks again Justin for the opportunity. Impressions to follow. :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,220 of 1,464
dang. I like all this communication and demos being shipped on time. nice job guys.

almost my turn. hehehe 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,221 of 1,464
Yes, It is indeed nice to see things moving along. 

I really really liked the LCD-X. I thought it would be very similar to my HE-6 and maybe a bit redundant given they are both said to be neutral and balanced to to bottom. I was wrong. The X and the 6 have different presentations. The X is darker than the HE-6. It also retains the Audeze house sound. A sound I sometimes call the 'wall of sound'. Barra, in a post above, used the word seamlessly to describe how the frequencies are integrated together and I agree. Compared to the HE-6, which has a very airy presentation, the X has a lush, thick, and nicely textured sound. The 6, on the other hand, has an extremely transparent, slightly more technical sound. Instruments are more separated on the 6. Music just seems to appear with the 6. It feels like a completely open window into the music. The treble, mids, and low frequencies seem to have more space between them. The HE-6 also had better defined bass. The X, however, has great soul and musicality.

After owning the LCD-2 and the HE-6 for a while, I purchased the LCD-3. I thought the LCD-3 was a step up for sure. But after months of listening to the 3, I sold it. It was just too dark for me and a bit distant. I find the X to solve these problems. Music is right there and the treble is fantastic. If I were to buy a Audeze again, it would be the X.

All listening was done on a Mac running Pure Music > Antelope Zodiac > Sansui G-9000db or Kenwood Model 500 (both recapped)

A few of my reference tracks..........

Mark Knopfler  Boom Like That

Dar Williams  Trouble Times

Apple Gabriel  Tower Of Babel

Steven Wilson  Drive Home

Lucinda Williams  Coppenhagen

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,223 of 1,464
The LCD-X West demos are shipping out today to the next member (neilpeart). I'll PM Justin and neilpeart tracking info this afternoon.

What a great opportunity. I'll share notes as soon as I have a chance to sit,type and think a bit.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,225 of 1,464
  just updated the first post with the current status.

After these demos, i will try to have the new HiFiMAN models, if available

So. Stoked. I HAVE to put them against my HE-6.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,226 of 1,464

I didn't even know there were new models! I figure you're talking about these:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698831/fresh-outta-ces-the-hifiman-he-400i-and-he-560

Getting a chance to try those babies out would be awesome indeed.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,227 of 1,464

Awesome news!

Do you plan on bringing the HE-560 and 400i with you to the Charlotte meet, Justin? If so, I'll hold off on the sign-up to let others get in on it.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,229 of 1,464

Ooooh, that would be great if you could make this happen! I haven't been a big fan of the treble response from the HiFiMAN planar magnetic headphones, so I would be interested in seeing what improvements they made with these recently-announced headphones.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,230 of 1,464

That would be great! I'm sure I'll end up owning one of the two so it would be fantastic to be able to hear them before I purchase

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back