HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Feb 21, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,186 of 1,464
I have to say I amreally, excited the HD 700s arrived today. I thought the HD 600s felt well built. The 700s are gorgeous and feel great on the head. Quick listen with the BottleheadCrack was dissapointing. I didn't expect them to match well. With the Schiit Magni it was a different story. Very, accurate , but smooth. Just a quicl listen so far.
It does show Sennheiser got it right with the Hd 600s. Atleastwith theCrack. More listening. Should be a fun weekend. Thanks for this fantastic opportunity.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,187 of 1,464
I have to say I amreally, excited the HD 700s arrived today. I thought the HD 600s felt well built. The 700s are gorgeous and feel great on the head. Quick listen with the BottleheadCrack was dissapointing. I didn't expect them to match well. With the Schiit Magni it was a different story. Very, accurate , but smooth. Just a quicl listen so far.
It does show Sennheiser got it right with the Hd 600s. Atleastwith theCrack. More listening. Should be a fun weekend. Thanks for this fantastic opportunity.

I had the same experience with them on my BH Crack, they lacked energy and sparkle, until I upgraded to a 5998 Tung-Sol tube. I was pretty amazed at the difference a little tube rolling did for it. Sounded less laid back that tight, accurate bass was there and brought out more of the details. That said, I still prefer in on the Darkvoice though...just gives them that speed and energy and the bass is just delicious.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,188 of 1,464
Played around with some tubes in the Crack today. Ended up with a Tung Sol 6080 and a RCA 6SN7. Now I'm pissed that I got to demo these 700s because now I have to figure out a way to afford them. I still think I prefer the midrange of the 600s or maybe I'm just used to it. Did anyone have issues with the right channel cutting out on the demo 700s? Every once in awhile it will just cut out. Unplugging and plugging the cable in at the headphone seems to fix it. It's happend on three different sources/amos.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,190 of 1,464
Played around with some tubes in the Crack today. Ended up with a Tung Sol 6080 and a RCA 6SN7. Now I'm pissed that I got to demo these 700s because now I have to figure out a way to afford them. I still think I prefer the midrange of the 600s or maybe I'm just used to it. Did anyone have issues with the right channel cutting out on the demo 700s? Every once in awhile it will just cut out. Unplugging and plugging the cable in at the headphone seems to fix it. It's happend on three different sources/amos.

Never happened to me. Make sure its plugged in tightly at the ear cup.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,191 of 1,464

The LCD-X is on it's way to you and should arrive on Wednesday. If the HD 700 is good, the LCD-X is audibly better. Start saving those funds.

I had the HD 700 earlier and didn't find any problems with the channel balance. However, I was not a fan of the cable - the 1/8" screw in connectors are a noticeable downgrade from the custom aluminum connectors on the HD 800. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,192 of 1,464
I'll hand the LCD-X to the next participant tomorrow since we live close to each other.

A big, big, big thank you to Justin for allowing me to be a part of the tour! I do like the LCD-X in some regards, but I don't think it's the right headphone for me. It has great instrument separation and speed, yet I didn't find it to have the house Audeze sound signature with the weighty midrange that worked well for male vocals. The soundstage is actually pretty large next to the LCD-2 from memory, so I think Audeze is going in the right direction there.

I published a YouTube impressions video on my channel if you're interested in viewing:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VoZNcD-2z4[/video]

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,193 of 1,464
I received the LCD-X from miceblue yesterday afternoon so today is my full day of testing it. I don't think anyone would be surprised to hear how outstanding it sounds with my Mjolnir, but I was surprised by how good it sounded directly from the X5 tour unit that I have on hand. Especially when the X5 was coupled with miceblue's O2 amp which gives it enormous sound on the go. What is really noticeable is the clarity of the LCD-X scaled down to the level of a DAP where the LCD2 is more euphoric, warm, and congested. Both are enjoyable, but the LCD-X scales down better.

Compared to my LCD2, the LCD-X feels shifted up in the frequency range and a little faster providing even greater clarity than my LCD2.2 with the Mjolnir which is saying a lot. Its not that the LCD-X is lacking in the bass department, but the bass seems to be turned down a notch keeping it from getting in the way of the rest of the frequency range. The result is a very realistic sounding sound stage that is even wider and closer to being there. I need to do more back and forth to determine if the sound quality is better or just different, but I am going to hate sending the unit on either way. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,197 of 1,464
I received the LCD-XC today.

Just opened them past hour. the shipping box shows some wear but is otherwise in good shape. I checked the headphones. they are fine. listening to them now. outstanding looking headphones with good build quality. the wood cups are really something. the leather pads are incredibly soft and comfortable. I do not find the headphones to clamp. plan to listen an hour or two tonight.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,199 of 1,464
Oops. I thought I posted these a while ago.

LCD-XC impressions

I am happy that it was a mixed bag :) Seems pretty dependent on the source, chain to me.

With micromega mydac, schiit vali, it excelled over the Sennheiser HD280

With Grace m901 and various CD,DVD players as source, it was very close to Focal spirit pro. LCD-XC had more impressive sounding instruments and low end.

With the Squeezebox touch feeding optical TOSLINK to a sony 7100ES, there was nothing to separate these from the focal and grado sr 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back