Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,907 of 9,902
The three shelves on the frame of this audio rack I'm having done are welded using 1-1/4" angled steel then the granite will slot in. For double insurance against vibration, aswell as the antivibration dampers I'll also try rubber  1-1/4" wide + 16th" thick around the horizontal part of this angled steel. These antivibration dampers I'm getting will only be for the BHSE + Aristaeus spiked feet, my source I have and the power purifier I'm getting have rubber at the bottom of their feet.

At the level of your headphone gear which will be same as mine, namely the Esoteric K01 and BHSE, I would at least use Solidsteel or TAOC racks and TAOC or Linn plates for the spikes, if not some Finite Elemente racks or Cerabases as feet replacement.

May 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,911 of 9,902
Quote:
At the level of your headphone gear which will be same as mine, namely the Esoteric K01 and BHSE, I would at least use Solidsteel or TAOC racks and TAOC or Linn plates for the spikes, if not some Finite Elemente racks or Cerabases as feet replacement.

Hi googleli it's great to hear from you. The frame I'm having made IMO will be a lot stronger than any audio rack available, everything is made out of 2/8th" thick steel and the four legs will be 3-1/2" square to which the shelves will be welded on the inside, then in the gap between each shelf there will be flat bar steel welded to the four legs for extra support. The K-01 as you know is around 32kg but this frame will support 10 times that if not more, the three granite shelves that will be used are 1-1/4" thick. I have the Aristaeus on order and when I receive it my headphone audio equipment will be complete, when that happens I'll post a photo of my audio stuff on this audio rack.

May 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,912 of 9,902
Quote:

Hi Dave,
To be honest I'd sooner have similar kind of wood used on kitchen tops but I thought Granite would be the best to use. Would wood be a better material to use, if not then what ?

Dave.

P.S.  Thank you for letting me know this Dave because Granite in the UK is quite expensive, just like most things.

hi  Dave, there are various synthetic stone products, which are often used in kitchens, but also some are used in audio applications. these materials tend to be considerably more inert than natural granite, and they can be aesthetically pleasing too. i'd be more inclined to use these type of products, or even various wood materials as many speaker cabinets are made of such materials and can be handsomely dressed up, possibly with veneer. anything form butcher block to various composites would do nicely. i think all would be functionally superior to granite.

May 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,913 of 9,902
Quote:

hi  Dave, there are various synthetic stone products, which are often used in kitchens, but also some are used in audio applications. these materials tend to be considerably more inert than natural granite, and they can be aesthetically pleasing too. i'd be more inclined to use these type of products, or even various wood materials as many speaker cabinets are made of such materials and can be handsomely dressed up, possibly with veneer. anything form butcher block to various composites would do nicely. i think all would be functionally superior to granite.

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your advice but I've decided to opt for granite, the reasons for this is because it stays cool, it's density and strength. I've been in contact with Jack Lawson the audio dealer who I got the K-01 from and I explained to him about some of my audio equipment having spiked feet and the possibility of vibration, he said Grandprix Audio have products to deal with such. I've been on their website and came across the Spiked Interface so I'm going to get a few of those.

May 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,914 of 9,902
I've been talking with Jack Lawson again about the BHSE + Aristaeus having spiked feet and the possibility of vibration, he came up with another suggestion which are Track Audio isolation cups. I've decided to eventually get 14 to go under the 8 of the BHSE's spikes a 6 of the Aristaeus. Not only are they reasonable price wise but they look IMO quite stylish.

May 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,918 of 9,902
Looking nice Justin. Out of curiosity (and pardon my noobness in this), your burn-in is just having it powered on? I noticed that you're not having any source/transport plugged in, nor headphones, etc.

May 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,919 of 9,902
Quote:
Looking nice Justin. Out of curiosity (and pardon my noobness in this), your burn-in is just having it powered on? I noticed that you're not having any source/transport plugged in, nor headphones, etc.

The burn-in is to make sure the amp is still working properly after operating for many days/hours and undergoing many power on/off and heat up/cool down cycles.  Having a source/headphones plugged in serves no additional benefit, because it is unlikely to affect any of the components chance of failure.  I check the audio before and after the burn-in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-in

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,920 of 9,902
Quote:
Why not go with actual isolators instead of couplers that are erroneously called isolators?

http://aurios.net/products/pro-max-bearing

se

Hi Steve,  Track Audio do isolation spikes to which the cups come with them but the cups can be bought separately. Jack Lawson the audio dealer who I got the K-01 from suggested these cups, Jack has been in the audio business for over 30 years and only sells highend equipment,  he told me these cups are a big seller so I'm buying 14 from him.

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back