HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
Dec 8, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #121 of 298
Very interesting. Can't wait for more impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #122 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct is in New York (or is it New Jersy?). Anyway, I ordered one of these and didn't know 'in-stock' meant 'in Hong Kong'. I've been waiting two weeks and all they can tell me is 'it's on the way to the U.S.'.

The tracking page was updated this morning to show my unit JUST LEFT THE 'SORTING CENTER IN CHINA' TODAY. TWO WEEKS THEIR SHIPPER SITS ON THIS THING? What on earth is going on here????

Welcome to shipping from China.

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the HE-5 with the EF-5 now or just by itself, since some people have commented that the HE-5 sounds quite different with different amps.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #123 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by glc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I do not like a lot of base. The base is not as deep on the K701 with my portables or with the Audio GD C2C or even the Phoenix. The EF-5 drives this very well and lends a bit of warmth to the music while retaining the ability play notes clearly. I let two co-workers listen to the combo & I swear their jaws dropped.

Could you compare the EF-5 and the C-2C (is yours upgraded)? Also, do you happen to have the HE-5?

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #124 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Can't wait for more impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like you'll have to keep waiting. It's been three weeks since I ordered mine, still no sign of it.

This is a product that's easy to buy, but apparently hard to get.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #126 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to shipping from China.

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the HE-5 with the EF-5 now or just by itself, since some people have commented that the HE-5 sounds quite different with different amps.

The HE-5 absolutely needs the EF-5 like the RS1 needs the EAR+ HD. Both pairs made in heaven! Once you hear it you know they're meant for each other
wink_face.gif
Pretty much most, if not all, of the harshness or sibilance is tamed by pairing with the EF-5. The HE-5 sounds amazing with the EF-5. You haven't heard the HE-5 if you haven't yet paired it with the EF-5. Absolutely amazing synergy. Period.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #127 of 298
I'm thinking about getting HE-5. I currently own Cary Xciter amp ($2750) but is the general concensus here is that EF-5 beats all high end amp when used with HE-5?

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #128 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but is the general concensus here is that EF-5 beats all high end amp when used with HE-5?

I just choked reading that..a manufacturer's claim which is understandable as they would want to sell more inventory, but that is by no means a consensus.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #129 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just choked reading that..a manufacturer's claim which is understandable as they would want to sell more inventory, but that is by no means a consensus.

haha that makes me feel better
tongue.gif
I easily get swayed... ugh

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #130 of 298
I rolled my Duel AD743JN's into the EF-5 today. And while it does not seem as big a jump up as it was in the EF1, for whatever reason. It's still an improvement for the better. This is somewhat system dependent though. The stock EF5 is very warm and my source is a little on the warm side as well. It was to much overall, I think the AD743jn is a much more neutral op-amp with better high/low extension. Tubes can still be rolled to get the warmth you need, but I suppose the reverse is true, I prefered a brighter sounding tube with the stock 275 opamp, and a warmer sounding tube with the AD743jn's. I had a much harder time removing the stock opamp with the EF5, the glue was better. I found the trick was to insert a precision screwdriver thru the side slots in between the opamp and it's socket to cut that glue out. As far as the EF5 vs the EF1, basically if you enjoyed the EF1 the EF5 is pretty much the same, but improved across the board, everything is more refined, better bass slam, more gain/power, and blacker background. Alot of the above must be from the improved power supply, but the increase in gain and output power has to be something else, I wonder if perhaps the EF1 opamp is ran in class a/b and the ef5 is all class a, it would make sense with the additional cooling the EF5 has as well. I'd say without question though, the amp is most certainly worth the 100$ price difference. As along with improved sound quality (which is worth the 100$ alone) you get improved aesthetics, 220v/120v switch, and a low/high gain switch, as well as the tube guards.

It may be a QC thing, but the volume knob on my EF5 is much better then the EF1 was.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #131 of 298
I agree the volume is better in the EF5 over the EF1.

I received my EF5 three days and currently it has about 75 hours of burn-in. IMO it matches very well with the HE5, much better than other amps I tried and the EF5 does not cost an arm and a leg.
wink.gif

I still wish that better isolating feet were installed, I am considering getting a set of isonodes for the power supply and the amp. These retail for about $35 for both sets including S&H. I will also be installing rubber grommets on the Plexiglas cover to create an air gap to assist in cooling the unit. Will take pictures and post them over the weekend.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #132 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting HE-5. I currently own Cary Xciter amp ($2750) but is the general concensus here is that EF-5 beats all high end amp when used with HE-5?

The ef-5 is much better then most amplifiers at driving the he-5, but it all depends on your amplifer and its ability to handle heavy loads.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #133 of 298
I don't know if the Xciter would be bested by the EF-5. I mean, if I owned the Xciter I wouldn't be looking at any other amp. I figure it must have similar power ratings (or better) than the EAR and the EAR fairs better than the EF5 in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #134 of 298
If anyone is interested in a really superb tube for an EF1/EF5 I'm selling a pair of tung sol black glass 12au7's I just bought from a tube dealer in England. $60 for the pair. I will provide the receipt, I did not use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back