HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #301 of 500
Quote:
I was completely set on an LCD-2, but now TTVJ has the HE-500's on sale for $630.

Wonder if that sale'll last until I get my paycheck on Friday. Like you, I was planning on going for the LCD-2 but at $630 ($655 since I'm up in Canada), the HE-500 is just too good to resist. Anyone know when TTVJ's sales run until, typically?

*edit* Well, I see that this price will run until Feb. 18. Pulling the plug the second I get the chance. Sorry, LCD-2, I love your look but I can't justify $350 for a sonic difference I might not even enjoy.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #303 of 500
saw the price, really considering selling my D7000 now, though im not sure since i love my denons too.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #304 of 500
Quote:
I recently got a DT880 to play with while I decide where I want to go next. I bought it to pair with my new Beresford amp. The beresford has a very warm smooth sound with huge bass! So pairing it with the Beyers made sense to me. Anyways, my point is.. The sound I'm getting from this mid-price match is much more appealing to me than any HE500/amp that I've tried. Maybe I didn't spend enough on the HE500's.
Matching is the important thing. Time and time again this has proved to be so. Even the LCD2's that are, to quote preproman "an amp person" still need a good match and you will not be getting you money's worth until you find this. Yes I'm sure it will sound good out of any amp, but not $1000 good.  

Hi LigBug1.

I follow your posts because you've written very interesting answers in my thread King of kings. Have I read it right? Don't you have HE-500 and LCD2 now? What headphones are going to be the next one?

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #305 of 500
Whats the recommendation when I could get the HE-500 for sub 700$ but the LCD-2 only for about 1350$? Is the LCD-2 "worth" almost twice as much for its strenghts?
Thanks very much!

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #306 of 500
Quote:
Whats the recommendation when I could get the HE-500 for sub 700$ but the LCD-2 only for about 1350$? Is the LCD-2 "worth" almost twice as much for its strenghts?
Thanks very much!

I had to go through the same thing. If you hadn't tried planar before and want to get your feet wet. Get the HE-500 first and a decent amp with source. That way you can start enjoying it right away. Next save up for the LCD-2 and get it whenever you have enough. Although this time around, you'll only need to spend on the headphones as you already have the amp and source.

Regarding the strengths, I think some people might consider them strengths, whereas others might consider it a preference. For example, HE-500 has a wide soundstage, it could be considered a strength if you like a wide soundstage. It might not be the best option if you look something more closed and more intimate. So it can go both ways.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #308 of 500
Feb 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #309 of 500
Quote:

I had to go through the same thing. If you hadn't tried planar before and want to get your feet wet. Get the HE-500 first and a decent amp with source. That way you can start enjoying it right away. Next save up for the LCD-2 and get it whenever you have enough. Although this time around, you'll only need to spend on the headphones as you already have the amp and source.

Regarding the strengths, I think some people might consider them strengths, whereas others might consider it a preference. For example, HE-500 has a wide soundstage, it could be considered a strength if you like a wide soundstage. It might not be the best option if you look something more closed and more intimate. So it can go both ways.

OK thx 4 your reply! that makes sence to me! I´m just afraid that I could be missing out on something 
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #310 of 500
Quote:
OK thx 4 your reply! that makes sence to me! I´m just afraid that I could be missing out on something 
smile.gif

Overall, not really. Sure, LCD-2 has better bass for electronic music and more thump, but the HE-500 has a wide soundstage which will keep you quite busy for some time. You won't be suffering for upgraditis for quite some time after getting these. I suggest investing on a really good amp from the start that will do well with both the planars. You can pick up something like a ODAC for example. I used E10 for a while as a DAC, but it wasn't fulfilling enough. My marantz does a far better job with the dynamic range. After that, save up for LCD-2. After you have HE-500, a great amp and the LCD-2.....what's next? Save more money and a get a kick ass DAC. I've connected my HE-500 and LCD-2 to couple of Funktion One mixers and the built in sound of that unit is ridiculous - Funktion One is my holy grail, everything gets compared to that as a reference when looking at absolute top end. These headphones actually benefit a LOT from a good DAC. Although they'll still sound good with a mid-entry DAC, you gotta love planars! This should keep you busy for a good year 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #311 of 500
Quote:

Overall, not really. Sure, LCD-2 has better bass for electronic music and more thump, but the HE-500 has a wide soundstage which will keep you quite busy for some time. You won't be suffering for upgraditis for quite some time after getting these. I suggest investing on a really good amp from the start that will do well with both the planars. You can pick up something like a ODAC for example. I used E10 for a while as a DAC, but it wasn't fulfilling enough. My marantz does a far better job with the dynamic range. After that, save up for LCD-2. After you have HE-500, a great amp and the LCD-2.....what's next? Save more money and a get a kick ass DAC. I've connected my HE-500 and LCD-2 to couple of Funktion One mixers and the built in sound of that unit is ridiculous - Funktion One is my holy grail, everything gets compared to that as a reference when looking at absolute top end. These headphones actually benefit a LOT from a good DAC. Although they'll still sound good with a mid-entry DAC, you gotta love planars! This should keep you busy for a good year 
biggrin.gif

Awesome!! Thank you very much! Just what I wanted to hear! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #312 of 500
Quote:
Awesome!! Thank you very much! Just what I wanted to hear! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Glad to help. Also one final suggestion: Buy separates over combos. For example, in your searching you'll come across the O2+ODAC combo. It's a great combo but don't buy them built into one box. Yes, it'll be cheaper if you buy them in one box. Although you won't have the options to mix and match later on. It's usually the DAC section that gets in the way. A good amp will be a good amp for quite long time. That's the reason vintage amps are still popular. DACs are always getting updated with more technology each year. So you could always upgrade your DAC and get better results with your existing amps. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #313 of 500
Quote:

Glad to help. Also one final suggestion: Buy separates over combos. For example, in your searching you'll come across the O2+ODAC combo. It's a great combo but don't buy them built into one box. Yes, it'll be cheaper if you buy them in one box. Although you won't have the options to mix and match later on. It's usually the DAC section that gets in the way. A good amp will be a good amp for quite long time. That's the reason vintage amps are still popular. DACs are always getting updated with more technology each year. So you could always upgrade your DAC and get better results with your existing amps. 

Thanks for the tip! problem is where I live its quite hard to get such things as o2, odac and others. But to buy the dac and the amp separate seems per se a good idea then. For now my favorite setup is the Colorfly C4 (directly or via Fiio e10 as USB to SPDIF converter from the PC) and Sennheiser HD700 in combo.. dunno why but it has something "special"

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #314 of 500
Quote:
I found that when quickly A/Bing both, that the HE500's would often sound better. The LCD2's always need a little more adjusting time when changing from another headphone. But then it soon became more obvious which one was better for me :)

Interesting to know the LCD2 is like that with other headphones that share a similar sound.  There was a period of adjustment for me as well when switching from the ATHW3000 to the LCD2 that made the LCD2 sound flat at times b/c of the ATs mid-bass bump, and it was less disconcerting going from the LCD2 to W3k than the other way around for some reason.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #315 of 500
Quote:

Hi LigBug1.

I follow your posts because you've written very interesting answers in my thread King of kings. Have I read it right? Don't you have HE-500 and LCD2 now? What headphones are going to be the next one?

Hi thanks :)

No I've only sold my HE500's but kept my LCD2's. I'm just having a bit of a change. I was going to get either an HD800 or T1 but then backed out at the last minute haha I really don't think that my mid-price equipment will do either of them justice. Besides, I enjoy changing my equipment more than just looking to have "the best". I'm probably gonna check out a few more mid-price phones that I haven't owned yet. Possibly an X1 and might go back to some K70X as I actually really missing them...! 
See what pops up on fleabay first :wink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back