HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #316 of 500
Quote:
Hi thanks :)

No I've only sold my HE500's but kept my LCD2's. I'm just having a bit of a change. I was going to get either an HD800 or T1 but then backed out at the last minute haha I really don't think that my mid-price equipment will do either of them justice. Besides, I enjoy changing my equipment more than just looking to have "the best". I'm probably gonna check out a few more mid-price phones that I haven't owned yet. Possibly an X1 and might go back to some K70X as I actually really missing them...! 
See what pops up on fleabay first :wink:  

I am going to receive my brand new HD800 tomorrow to test it against LCD-2 rev2 :) Do you want me to give you my impressions? Since you know how much I love LCD-2 rev2...

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #317 of 500
Quote:
Interesting to know the LCD2 is like that with other headphones that share a similar sound.  There was a period of adjustment for me as well when switching from the ATHW3000 to the LCD2 that made the LCD2 sound flat at times b/c of the ATs mid-bass bump, and it was less disconcerting going from the LCD2 to W3k than the other way around for some reason.

I think it may have a lot to do with the pads aswell. There seems to be a change as the pads mold to your head, and this is every time you put them on. The clamp force and heat may soften them and cause the air tight seal, and in turn the sound improves. It takes about 5 minutes. Just a theory..  

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #318 of 500
Quote:

I am going to receive my brand new HD800 tomorrow to test it against LCD-2 rev2 :) Do you want me to give you my impressions? Since you know how much I love LCD-2 rev2...

Absolutely my friend. Post them here
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #319 of 500
Quote:
Absolutely my friend. Post them here
popcorn.gif

Do you think I should post them right here, or do a new thread? I don't want to derail the HE-500 vs LCD-2 "clash"...
redface.gif

Important thing - it's a brand new pair... most probably manufactured in 2013 (or december 2012).

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #320 of 500
Quote:

Do you think I should post them right here, or do a new thread? I don't want to derail the HE-500 vs LCD-2 "clash"...
redface.gif

Important thing - it's a brand new pair... most probably manufactured in 2013 (or december 2012).

I personally think peeps on this thread will appreciate it. But if you're not comfortable doing it here you could always post the link to your thread on here :) Either way let me know when you do it thanks

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #321 of 500
Quote:
I personally think peeps on this thread will appreciate it. But if you're not comfortable doing it here you could always post the link to your thread on here :) Either way let me know when you do it thanks

I would actually like to post it here... It seems like a perfect way to do so - I don't feel like creating a whole new thread. Thanks!

First impressions to come in about 16 hours or so...

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #322 of 500
Quote:

Definitely post it here. A lot of people here own one or both. Or they will at point own one or both. So yea post it here for sure.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #324 of 500
Quote:

I would actually like to post it here... It seems like a perfect way to do so - I don't feel like creating a whole new thread. Thanks!

First impressions to come in about 16 hours or so...

Be sure to burn them in first!

Not all headphones benefit much from break-in, but the HD800's are definitely one of them. They are seriously unbearably bright before about 30hrs of use (which is what Sennheiser recommends for break-in, I believe).

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #325 of 500
Yeah, take your time RustA, we're in no hurry. But its always nice to read first impressions anyways and then see how things unroll over time. It gives peeps an idea of what to expect.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #326 of 500
First impressions of HD800 vs LCD-2 rev2 (after listening to several songs):

1) Soundstage width and depth is INCREDIBLE and PERFECT - I thought that the width is going to be unnatural and simply too much pushed towards the sides but it's not true - it's perfectly natural... It's something like this:

I thought the depth of LCD-2 was really good but this... Wow, you can hear how notes fade into the background, how the distance between you and the sound is increasing... Perfection!
    I thought the width of LCD-2 is more than enough... And I still feel the width of LCD-2 is very nice and not collapsed or anything like that at all. But HD800 offer A NATURAL width along with pushing the band more in front of you to create more natural image. Look at the image - it feels somewhat like that - that you have your distance from the sounds, exactly as you see it (to the sides and in front of you as well)

2) Bass shy? NO! The bass of HD800 is pretty good and incredibly clean, with very good slam... I thought there is going to be a significant lack of bass resulting in too thin sound in comparison with LCD-2 rev2. But this is not from my experience, even though I use perfectly neutral O2/ODAC combo. Maybe Sennheiser tuned the bass to be more present recently but I do really feel that the bass of HD800 is more than good enough for rock and metal as well! Important factor here is also the separation which is much superior to LCD-2... HD800 renders all the instruments, including bass, a lot better and puts more distance among them. LCD-2 have all instruments rather near to each other which, in comparison with HD800, could be a bit messy sometimes. I feel the bass of LCD-2 is very good but nowhere near clarity and separation from the rest of instruments with HD800.

3) Harshness, painful peaks? NOT AT ALL!!! I am pretty sensitive to treble and hated D7000 for their nasty peaks, painful to my ears. But HD800 absolutely DO NOT HAVE ANY, at least to my ears. I am really surprised...

4) I must say that treble response of LCD-2 rev2 is more natural to my ears but both offer very nice and balanced signature. HD800 vocals are very nice but a bit sibilant (not extremely, anywhere near to it, but significantly more than with super-natural LCD-2 vocals). Guitars sound very nice with HD800, not overemphasised... And the distance among all instruments (including vocals) works incredibly here as well, it's very natural to listen to music with HD800, like having the band in front of you. I was always like "What, air between instruments? what does it mean?" and now I understand - it's a "distance", not "air", at least in my terminology.

5) Speed? The decay is excellent here but I do not feel anything like "lightning-fast speed" - just natural flow of music. That's actually good - I didn't want to feel exhausted by unnatural perception of music, being too quick or anything like that.

6) Comfort... I think too many people exaggerate when talking about "extremely uncomfortable Audeze". Of course, HD800 are significantly more comfortable - they are super-light and create near-to-zero clamping force and therefore you can focus yourself on your work and listen to them simultaneously (you cannot do that with LCD-2). But I still find LCD-2 perfectly comfortable for enjoying music (and for example playing games at the same time).

7) Unforgiving? WHAT? I must be listening to different headphones... What are people talking about here? I listened to more than 10 rock and metal songs with nowhere near-to-ideal quality and hear nothing unenjoyable o_O I am quite young and as I said - I am sensitive to treble... But still, I feel no pain and hear nothing unbearable even with the worst metal recordings, including black metal.

8) Transparent? I think on par with LCD-2, so far... Maybe LCD-2 have the edge here, not sure.

9) Crossfeed? HD800 creates a natural crossfeed with their incredible soundstage and rendering... It's VERY NATURAL.

10) Detail? Well, it's very good, of course but I feel LCD-2 rev2 are in the same league... Maybe I am not focused on micro-details too much, or realise their a bit different FR.

11) Neutrality? This is difficult... I feel LCD-2 have more neutral FR graph but HD800 offer more natural experience because of soundstaging, separation, imaging... + their FR is also very good, not unnatural.

12) Imaging - the famous imaging ability with pinpoint accuracy... Is it true and how much superior it is in comparison to LCD-2? I will need more time in order to assess this appropriately... So far I feel it really is near-to-poinpoint accurate with HD800. But I feel like it goes hand in hand with the amazing soundstage that HD800 offers. Look at the image above - it really feels like that so you easily point to instruments in this semi-circle, you feel that instruments and elements are positioned in certain angles...

You don't feel like that with LCD-2. LCD-2 are rather "stereo", they do not offer a complex semicircle space but rather focus your attention on stereo - it's more like this:

Not absolutely, only in comparison to each other... But it's very noticable.

=====================================================================================================

These are only first impressions and may change with time... But so far, I am amazed. I hate to say that but Sennheiser did it... These are... just incredible, even with modern music. Stunning. Burn-in is not needed to say comfortably that these are going nowhere... I will test them more against LCD-2 in upcoming days but so far I feel like I don't need LCD-2 (or even LCD-3) anymore.

Do they complement each other very well? I am not sure... These are different headphones, of course, but I cannot answer... I just tend to pick one headphone that is better for me and listen to it all the time. But I do not feel that these two headphones are too different. Yes, they are different but they are still headphones, you know? Differences are definitely there but it's not a totally different experience. You are still listening to the same music and still have a pair of headphones on your ears so it must be similar.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #327 of 500
^^^^^^^
Rust nice write up and I tend to agree with your assessment. Both excellent headphones and the hd800 soundstage is the best of any headphone and for classical music there is none I have heard betterIMO. I also like the lcd 2.2 especially for female recordings. I do not find my hd800 sibilant at all but the LCD2.2 is more like what I hear in small jazz clubs especially with female jazz or folk vocalist. Excellent assessment

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #328 of 500
Quote:
^^^^^^^
Rust nice write up and I tend to agree with your assessment. Both excellent headphones and the hd800 soundstage is the best of any headphone and for classical music there is none I have heard betterIMO. I also like the lcd 2.2 especially for female recordings. I do not find my hd800 sibilant at all but the LCD2.2 is more like what I hear in small jazz clubs especially with female jazz or folk vocalist. Excellent assessment

Thanks, I am trying to add more impressions or correct mistakes, editing the post... I hope it helps someone since I've had a lot of questions regarding HD800 vs LCD-2 that I am trying to answer here.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #329 of 500
Quote:

Thanks, I am trying to add more impressions or correct mistakes, editing the post... I hope it helps someone since I've had a lot of questions regarding HD800 vs LCD-2 that I am trying to answer here.

Great write up RustA.  I agree with most.  I also find my "new" pair of HD800s with a better bass response than my old.

What serial number is your HD800?  Mine is  #19547

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #330 of 500
Quote:
7) Unforgiving? WHAT? I must be listening to different headphones... What are people talking about here? I listened to more than 10 rock and metal songs with nowhere near-to-ideal quality and hear nothing unenjoyable o_O I am quite young and as I said - I am sensitive to treble... But still, I feel no pain and hear nothing unbearable even with the worst metal recordings, including black metal.

My thoughts exactly 
wink.gif
.  Glad you liked them.

Also, since I wouldn't really consider myself as sensitive to treble at all, I'm a bit surprised your pair didn't bother you straight out of the box. But hey, that's certainly a good thing! Definitely look into the mod that's coming out for it soon either way; should make it more 'natural'/neutral and possibly put its FR on par with the LCD-2's for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back