HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #271 of 500
Quote:

Not for me.  I listen to Rap music analytically and with a passion so I like my bass tight and accurate.  I find the LCD-3/2, HE-6 /500 to some of the best headphones for rap.  The Denons bass is to sloppy for my taste.  Maybe after the MarkL mod my view will change.

Unlikely. It does improve them by removing a lot of the sloppy resonances, but the bass still has the same fundamental sound to it. You'd probably like the bass in the D600's better, but those have a whole slew of other problems...

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #272 of 500
Quote:
Unlikely. It does improve them by removing a lot of the sloppy resonances, but the bass still has the same fundamental sound to it. You'd probably like the bass in the D600's better, but those have a whole slew of other problems...

I don't know.  I was about to sell my D5000's as they weren't getting any use anymore, until I put some J$ pads on them last week.  I feel it really tamed a lot of the problems with the bass and have been loving them.  I guess I just needed the bass to bleed a little less.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #273 of 500
Quote:

i love the bass on my modded d7000s, but the highs tend to be sibilant especially at louder volumes.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #274 of 500
I was completely set on an LCD-2, but now TTVJ has the HE-500's on sale for $630.
That is a $370 difference! 

I don't really like the HD600 sound and I hear the HE-500's are like a better version of the 600's.
But my question is, for the kind of music I listen to, will the LCD-2 clearly be better?  or does the HE-500 do these genres well also?
Artists like:  Paramore, Flyleaf, the academy is..., violin solos. 
a bunch of pop like Katy Perry and avril lavigne.  and some emo stuff like all time low, mayday parade, never shout never.

a general example of what I listen to the most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdCeWoEH1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKV1X9uyP4
along with violin/classical.

thanks!

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #275 of 500
Quote:
I was completely set on an LCD-2, but now TTVJ has the HE-500's on sale for $630.
That is a $370 difference! 

I don't really like the HD600 sound and I hear the HE-500's are like a better version of the 600's.
But my question is, for the kind of music I listen to, will the LCD-2 clearly be better?  or does the HE-500 do these genres well also?
Artists like:  Paramore, Flyleaf, the academy is..., violin solos. 
a bunch of pop like Katy Perry and avril lavigne.  and some emo stuff like all time low, mayday parade, never shout never.

a general example of what I listen to the most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdCeWoEH1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKV1X9uyP4
along with violin/classical.

thanks!

Yea I just listened to these with HE-500. It works out quite nicely. For slower and moderate paced genres, I think the HE-500 has the advantage. Get them first and then the LCD-2s, it worked out quite nicely for me.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #279 of 500
Quote:

This

+1

The 650 with a good amp can be a brilliant set up that can last you years. It did me. The HE500's are a great headphone but the power requirements and quality source are essential in getting the best out of it, and that is going to set you back a lot more money in the long run. A good headphone is only as good as its source.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #280 of 500
I'm not so sure.  I know we all like our amps and fancy sources, but I was surprised at how good the HE-500 sounded straight out of my phone and my little portable amps. I've heard the HD-650 and it's nice, but I'd recommend to get the best headphone you can get straight away and then maybe think about other stuff later.  You don't need a lot of really expensive equipment for the HE-500 to sound good.  And I definitely think the HE-500 is the better headphone.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #281 of 500
Quote:
I'm not so sure.  I know we all like our amps and fancy sources, but I was surprised at how good the HE-500 sounded straight out of my phone and my little portable amps. I've heard the HD-650 and it's nice, but I'd recommend to get the best headphone you can get straight away and then maybe think about other stuff later.  You don't need a lot of really expensive equipment for the HE-500 to sound good.  And I definitely think the HE-500 is the better headphone.

I see you underestimate the value of a good amp when compared to say your phone and your little portable amps. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #282 of 500
Quote:
Posted this in another thread. $600 is my absolute maximum limit. Should I go for a decently amped HD 650 at that price or an unamped HE-500.

What about the HE-400?  I heard it for a bit last week and it was quite nice.  I preferred it to me HD650 (which i really don't use much at all these days).

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #283 of 500
That's like would you rather have an HD800 amped or an SR-009 unamped. Or, er, something or another. 
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #284 of 500
Quote:

I see you underestimate the value of a good amp when compared to say your phone and your little portable amps. 

I don't think so.  I consider my Violectric V200 to be a 'good amp'.  And it is very nice.  But I definitely think we tend to overestimate the value of a good amp and source on these forums.  The differences between amps and sources are very subtle compared to the differences between headphones, in my albeit limited experience.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #285 of 500
Quote:

I don't think so.  I consider my Violectric V200 to be a 'good amp'.  And it is very nice.  But I definitely think we tend to overestimate the value of a good amp and source on these forums.  The differences between amps and sources are very subtle compared to the differences between headphones, in my albeit limited experience.

You have good experience with the V200 - correct?  Now, I would say take a listen to say the Mjolnir.  I think you will see the differences can be more than subtle - at times.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back