HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #256 of 500
Quote:

I guess we would agree on that LCD-2 rev2 are not necessarily a BASSY headphone... I actually find their bass to be exactly as you say - clean and tight, but not "in a centre of the action" (unless you listen to some bass-heavy songs).

yup.

they have the best bass in terms of having decent impact and fullness, but best because its tight, clean, and accurate with no distortion or unwanted resonances. 

the LCD-2 bass, its not the crazy car subwoofer or night club type of bass, its the audiophile super accurate type of bass 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #257 of 500
Quote:
yup.

they have the best bass in terms of having decent impact and fullness, but best because its tight, clean, and accurate with no distortion or unwanted resonances. 

the LCD-2 bass, its not the crazy car subwoofer or night club type of bass, its the audiophile-super accurate type of bass 
wink.gif

Good, I wanted to check if I see things the same here... Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #258 of 500
Quote:

Good to know about the depth... I actually started to love the depth LCD-2 rev2 deliver, primarily after I received my desktop O2/ODAC with 1/4 out (no need for adaptors, finally!) and purchased jplay to use it in hibernate mode... I now find the depth of LCD-2 VERY GOOD for headphones.

The depth of the LCD2's is one of their best attributes. I'd read before that some say they deliver the music in a "wall of sound" but this is just not so, as that would imply all the FR are the same level. The mids are very deep, and this is how they are so engaging. You can always follow evey instrument in complex passages very clearly. And you need good depth to be able to do that.
Quote:

+1

and exactly why i love my D7000, wish it was more open and detailed though. the d2000 where even bassier than d7000s, like super bass monster headphones even more bass than DT 770 pro

the he-500 don't fill your head with bass, do they? 
blink.gif
 i know the LCD-2s bass is too clean and tight to do that.

No they don't do that. What they do have is a good bass prescence. A very satisfying bass balanced with the nice highs. I really like the HE500's for EDM as they have just the right amount bass for my liking. The difference with the LCD2's for me is that the bass is more naturally blended into the other FR. The HE500's have more of a full speaker set up sound, with woofers and tweeters. So you know where the bass and treble is coming from, as opposed to a more blended and cohesive whole that the LCD2's tend to have.  Horses for courses..  

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #259 of 500
Quote:

the he-500 don't fill your head with bass, do they? 
blink.gif
 i know the LCD-2s bass is too clean and tight to do that.

LOL at times they absolutely can, especially with the O2.....it's some voodoo stuff that I can't figure out with this inconsistent amp. Throw some Above and Beyond, and the HE-500 can go (Anjuna) DEEP!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I would say you can notice changes in the bass notes a bit better on the HE-500 than on the LCD-2, but the LCD-2 has the right slam in the mid-bass area which makes it so damn good. 

Thought of making a list for people considering between D2000, LCD-2 and HE-500, here are is my list for sub-bass and mid-bass capabilities:

Sub-bass
1) D2000 - nothing comes close to delivering the full sub-bass quantity of the D2000 while still maintaining a great quality. Sure the LCD-2 has the best control there and essentially a flat line for it's 50 Hz square wave response. Although the D2000 is quite linear in that regard as well. So taking both quantity and quality into account - the D2000 beats both the planars
2) HE-500 and LCD-2 tie for quantity and quality IMO here

Mid-Bass 
1) LCD-2 - By far the best slam. These slam in the right place needed for electronica without interfering with even the lower mids. A perfect job  
2) HE-500 - a little behind the LCD-2, but quite good nonetheless. Still good enough for trance, house and other electronic genres
3) D2000 - These have perfect slam for hip hop and rap. When you switch for 120+ BPM, these don't cut it anymore. I need it to be tighter and hence why I decided to look into the planars. Although if anyone here listens to mostly rap, hip hop and other stuff on the radio then the D2000 is still the better option, followed by LCD-2 slightly and then the HE-500. But the difference is very little, if the D2000 is a perfect 10, then LCD-2 is 9.5 and the HE-500 is 9.2...Still high satisfaction level

I love the LCD-2 for three things the most: depth, center image and bass punch. I am not putting vocals here because the HE-500 does the same thing with the vocals. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #260 of 500
Quote:

Thought of making a list for people considering between D2000, LCD-2 and HE-500, here are is my list for sub-bass and mid-bass capabilities:

Sub-bass
1) D2000 - nothing comes close to delivering the full sub-bass quantity of the D2000 while still maintaining a great quality. Sure the LCD-2 has the best control there and essentially a flat line for it's 50 Hz square wave response. Although the D2000 is quite linear in that regard as well. So taking both quantity and quality into account - the D2000 beats both the planars

Mid-Bass 
1) LCD-2 - By far the best slam. These slam in the right place needed for electronica without interfering with even the lower mids. A perfect job  
2) HE-500 - a little behind the LCD-2, but quite good nonetheless. Still good enough for trance, house and other electronic genres
3) D2000 - These have perfect slam for hip hop and rap. When you switch for 120+ BPM, these don't cut it anymore. I need it to be tighter and hence why I decided to look into the planars. Although if anyone here listens to mostly rap, hip hop and other stuff on the radio then the D2000 is still the better option, followed by LCD-2 slightly and then the HE-500. But the difference is very little, if the D2000 is a perfect 10, then LCD-2 is 9.5 and the HE-500 is 9.2...Still high satisfaction level

I love the LCD-2 for three things the most: depth, center image and bass punch. I am not putting vocals here because the HE-500 does the same thing with the vocals. 

Good post. Having owned all 3 of them I'd say thats pretty accurate.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #261 of 500
Quote:

LOL at times they absolutely can, especially with the O2.....it's some voodoo stuff that I can't figure out with this inconsistent amp. Throw some Above and Beyond, and the HE-500 can go (Anjuna) DEEP!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I would say you can notice changes in the bass notes a bit better on the HE-500 than on the LCD-2, but the LCD-2 has the right slam in the mid-bass area which makes it so damn good. 

Sub-bass

Mid-Bass 

That's interesting... There is so much praise for Denon Dx000 line! I don't know why the bass of D7000 didn't satisfy me. Maybe because I expected it to deliver me real bass guitar and got subwooferish resonant midbass instead.
rolleyes.gif

I also do not agree about subbass - I cannot talk about D2000 but D7000 do not have the subbass of Audezes. They are midbass oriented definitely, even graphs confirm it.

For electronic music, they are most probably very good... But definitely not for rock or metal.

LugBug1, do you find Denons' bass to be good enough for jazz? o_O

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #262 of 500
Quote:

That's interesting... There is so much praise for Denon Dx000 line! I don't know why the bass of D7000 didn't satisfy me. Maybe because I expected it to deliver me real bass guitar and got subwooferish resonant midbass instead.
rolleyes.gif

I also do not agree about subbass - I cannot talk about D2000 but D7000 do not have the subbass of Audezes. They are midbass oriented definitely, even graphs confirm it.

For electronic music, they are most probably very good... But definitely not for rock or metal.

LugBug1, do you find Denons' bass to be good enough for jazz? o_O

Haha no, I used to like them for orchestral music believe it or not. The D2's have great soundstage for closed back cans and that oomph you got with the emphasized bass was verrrr agreeable to me :) Bearing in mind its a few years since I last heard them. No they aren't tight and a double bass is always gonna be better on an LCD2. The thing with orchestral music is, a tight bass isn't always good. A concert hall with ten cellists chugging away is going to produce a loose and warm but pleasing 'oomph. Bit like the D2's bass!  

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #263 of 500
Quote:

I really wish the D2000 had more mid-bass slam. If they were, then I probably wouldn't have bothered with the planar magnetics in the first place. The saving point of D2000 is the sub-bass and the wide soundstage. Pro 900 is what I call mid-bass oriented.

Yea the LCD-2 is much better for guitars and getting the tonality right. I got some of my non-audiophile friends to listen to the D2000 and KRK KNS 8400 and they said that the 8400 sounded more natural like the real thing, especially guitars and percussion. But when I dropped the bass on the D2000, so did their jaw.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #264 of 500
I agree with ^ 

I had the D2000 for a long time. The bass is great, and there's a lot of detail and imaging. But there's a fundamental flaw with that headphone and it's the recessed mids and lack of proper tonality. You know how people say vocals sound "tinny" and things like that? That's the fatal flaw of the headphone. The mids - where all the core instruments, be it your strings, whatever reside - lack the proper timbre (?) to make songs sound really musical. It just doesn't sound the way it should sound. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #265 of 500
Quote:
Good post. Having owned all 3 of them I'd say thats pretty accurate.  

+1

haven't heard the HE-500, but the description of the LCD-2 and D2000 is absolutely spot-on. I agree the Denons are the best rap headphones cause of their bass. its just the right kind of bass needed, though its not the most accurate, its quite fun to listen to.

Quote:
I agree with ^ 

I had the D2000 for a long time. The bass is great, and there's a lot of detail and imaging. But there's a fundamental flaw with that headphone and it's the recessed mids and lack of proper tonality. You know how people say vocals sound "tinny" and things like that? That's the fatal flaw of the headphone. The mids - where all the core instruments, be it your strings, whatever reside - lack the proper timbre (?) to make songs sound really musical. It just doesn't sound the way it should sound. 

i found that to be the D2000s biggest flaw and the reason i upgraded to the D7000. the D2000 just didn't seem to have very good coherency or tonality. it sounded kinda artificial and grainy, and like the bass/mids/highs didn't blend in right, its hard to explain, i guess maybe something to do with transparency? of course, for their price, they're still very good, and IMO better than the new D600

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #266 of 500
Quote:
I agree the Denons are the best rap headphones cause of their bass. its just the right kind of bass needed, though its not the most accurate, its quite fun to listen to.

Not for me.  I listen to Rap music analytically and with a passion so I like my bass tight and accurate.  I find the LCD-3/2, HE-6 /500 to some of the best headphones for rap.  The Denons bass is to sloppy for my taste.  Maybe after the MarkL mod my view will change.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #267 of 500
Since I got my HE-500s I basically haven't touched my Denon D2000s.  There really doesn't seem to be anything that the Hifimans don't do much better than the Denons.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #268 of 500
Quote:
Since I got my HE-500s I basically haven't touched my Denon D2000s.  There really doesn't seem to be anything that the Hifimans don't do much better than the Denons.

Same for LCD-2, not even sure why D2K was brought up in HE-500/LCD-2 thread, it's just way out of the league against those.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #269 of 500
Quote:
Same for LCD-2, not even sure why D2K was brought up in HE-500/LCD-2 thread, it's just way out of the league against those.

that is right... i have been using the he500 for 3 weeks now and it is incredible... i yesterday downgraded for a few hours to my hd650 and d2000s to have a listen as i always can tell difference better downgrading than upgrading.... and he500 is just miles and miles ahead of them in every possible way... only hd650 tried to match it but it is still out of its league...

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #270 of 500
Quote:

Not for me.  I listen to Rap music analytically and with a passion so I like my bass tight and accurate.  I find the LCD-3/2, HE-6 /500 to some of the best headphones for rap.  The Denons bass is to sloppy for my taste.  Maybe after the MarkL mod my view will change.

Either of these just grow on you, dont they? :D

I really like the bass I am getting right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back