HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,338 of 3,819
I don't know anymore about this item than what the link to the website provides. But it looks like it can be purchased through the website, and that it's possible to contact the seller if people have specific questions.

In the review - I believe it was in  Stereophile - the reviewer overall liked what it did for a variety of headphones he tried with it, via the power amp he was using. But the headphones were not 'high end' models. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,339 of 3,819
Quote:
I just read about this adapter in a hi fi magazine yesterday at Barnes and Noble. Could have been Stereophile. I have no experience with it myself (I have a custom made adapter box made by the guy who designed the amp I am using). Just thought I'd pass this along FYI:

http://www.vinylflat.com/canopener.html

Definitely looks interesting. If no one else does I'll shoot them an email. The price isn't all that bad either, considering the chassis, binding posts, 1/4" TRS. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,340 of 3,819
I shot him a email already.  the only thing I asked is could the SE be replaced with a 4-pin XLR - he said no.  

"Sorry, no - the printed circuit board and custom cabinet cut-outs are designed and manufactured for the existing terminations.  Regards,  John Martindale VF LLC"

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,341 of 3,819
Considering all the people hooking this speaker amp up to headphones, I think it's time to send a users petition in to Emotiva to put a TRS headphone out on this amp. That way those who want to use the speaker taps for hard to drive phones can do so and those with somewhat sensitive phones can use the headphone out. Seriously .... Just my one cent into the wishing well.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,343 of 3,819
Quote:

Definitely looks interesting. If no one else does I'll shoot them an email. The price isn't all that bad either, considering the chassis, binding posts, 1/4" TRS. 

I hope they warn people against not using that box with ANY amp. Could make for some interesting results if it isn't shared ground...

Also wonder if they have designed that box in a proper way.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,344 of 3,819
Quote:
I hope they warn people against not using that box with ANY amp. Could make for some interesting results if it isn't shared ground...

I suppose if the ground terminals were tied together with resistors before connecting to the sleeve of the TRS, it would be ok. 

Unless the speaker amp were fully balanced / differential. It'd still work technically, but not well. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,345 of 3,819
You could technically modify the Can Opener - the panel mount 4-Pin XLR jacks by Neutrik would definitely fit (as what they already use is a Neutrik panel mount TRS jack so you could swap them out), then you should just have to rewire the inside with new resistors in a balanced config to the binding posts.  I believe if you were to use the Can Opener as is on a balanced speaker amp, your headphones would go boom (softly).  You can go balanced headphone to balanced OR unbalanced amp, but not the other way around.  The HE-Adapter on the other hand is already a balanced configuration with the 4-Pin XLR, so it would be a safer bet for all amps, so long as the headphones are also balanced (all HiFiMan's are by design for example).  The Can Opener will indeed work with the Mini-X though as it has a shared ground, so any headphone could be used in theory.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,346 of 3,819
Quote:
I read the whole thread..89 pages of it..I am eyeing myself an HE-500 for a very ling time now..I can source it locally here but it costs like $800..now the a100 will be the problem..shipping for sure will be hefty..anyway subscribing to this thread..very very informative thread

Well here is the solution. http://www.shipito.com. I just found this option the other day...........

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,348 of 3,819
Quote:
You could technically modify the Can Opener - the panel mount 4-Pin XLR jacks by Neutrik would definitely fit (as what they already use is a Neutrik panel mount TRS jack so you could swap them out), then you should just have to rewire the inside with new resistors in a balanced config to the binding posts.  

Unless the jacks are mounted on a pcb inside, which would making modifying trickier. Judging by the construction of the box, I don't think it's one continuous piece from the binding posts to the headphone jack though, so that's a plus. Still, if you have the knowhow to do such a mod, you might as well just make a pigtail adapter and do away with the box entirely...

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,349 of 3,819
Quote:

No mention of using with internally bridged amps in the documentation or testing for common ground.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,350 of 3,819
Quote:

Unless the jacks are mounted on a pcb inside, which would making modifying trickier. Judging by the construction of the box, I don't think it's one continuous piece from the binding posts to the headphone jack though, so that's a plus. Still, if you have the knowhow to do such a mod, you might as well just make a pigtail adapter and do away with the box entirely...

The main reason for the box is because the high power capacity resistors for parallel configuration can be fairly large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back