HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,321 of 3,819
Yeah That T1 is a tricky SOB to tame..  I would agree the T1 and the mini-X could be a no go for many people.  The treble could get pretty aggressive in stock form on this amp. 

However, for me it's an OK match not great.  I have my T1's re cabled (hardwired) with a pure copper cable, also the stock Denon D5000 leather/pleather pads.  The pad / cable mod tames the harsh treble on these a bit.  The T1s still sound better on the B22
biggrin.gif

A quick phone picture.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,323 of 3,819
Quote:

This is a great idea.  You think a 4-pin XLP can be installed on the faceplate?  Up in the right hand corner would be sweet.  OK - who do I send the amp to??  Modulor or E....?

Haha, definitely possible, there should be enough space to fit a TRS or XLR plug - unfortunately, I don't have the tools necessary to make the holes.  Ideally you'd need someone with a drill press and the proper sized metal drill bits as the aluminum front panel is pretty thick.  Beyond that, when attaching the internal cables, you're going to want to make sure it's well shielded running back to where the speaker taps connect because the power transformer is near the front.  As for the resistor setup, I can't say what would be optimal so you will have to do further research here, but you will likely want wirewound resistors in an 8-10 ohm parallel (positive to negative wire for each channel) with a high power rating and then a resistor in series with each positive channel.  I imagine it would be similar to the HE-Adapter http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104 except each channel would run thorough a switch where you can select to bypass the resistors for the output to the front panel connector, and a second set of switches further down to select use of front panel or back panel output.  Trust me,  I had thought all about it when I had my Mini-X, but never went through with trying any modifications.  For those brave Mini-X users out there I say go for it, you could start a revolution!  
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the crude MS Paint drawing, but I think something like this would be optimal:

Just remembered that the ground is shared, so the negative channels would technically meet at the same point on the amp source, just not sure where exactly.  It could be traced from the speaker tap connections though.  If anyone else has any more insight on this, please share your ideas!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #1,325 of 3,819
Quote:
You just gave me an even better idea.  What about modifying the HiFiMan HE-Adapter and putting some higher end / good quality resisters in there.  Would that be easier?

Yes, it would be much easier.  Also, you'd be able to sample it right away.  But it is $100, and for what it is comprised of, you could easily build one for much less, even with better resistors.  You would just need to source a panel mount 4-Pin XLR plug, binding posts (speaker taps) and a project box to house everything, plus the resistors.  You can see in the description for the HE-Adapter they list the resistor values they use, so just make sure that the parallel resistor is wirewound and has a high power rating, and the series resistor can be a standard carbon/metal film type.  Check out this thread for more details: http://www.head-fi.org/t/603433/diy-he-adapter

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,326 of 3,819
I read the whole thread..89 pages of it..I am eyeing myself an HE-500 for a very ling time now..I can source it locally here but it costs like $800..now the a100 will be the problem..shipping for sure will be hefty..anyway subscribing to this thread..very very informative thread

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,327 of 3,819
Quote:
I read the whole thread..89 pages of it..I am eyeing myself an HE-500 for a very ling time now..I can source it locally here but it costs like $800..now the a100 will be the problem..shipping for sure will be hefty..anyway subscribing to this thread..very very informative thread

yeah, the shipping to EU was 80 USD with USPS [you have to ask Emotiva for this cheaper shipping] or 180 USD for FedEx/DHL... + customs and taxes so it was a problem for me as well.
Luckily my brother lives in L.A. so I could source one as a "gift"
Good luck though.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,328 of 3,819
I could help anyone that lives across the pond with shipping.  I think it's free shipping in the states.  All you have to pay for is the shipping from me to you.  I can ship as gift and declare a low value on it if that helps..

I'm doing it for Clem and his HE-6s to France..

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,329 of 3,819
Quote:
I could help anyone that lives across the pond with shipping.  I think it's free shipping in the states.  All you have to pay for is the shipping from me to you.  I can ship as gift and declare a low value on it if that helps..

I'm doing it for Clem and his HE-6s to France..

Well, that is good to know, mate :] Next time I am looking at USA products, I know just who to ask 
wink_face.gif

Likewise if anyone wanted t deliver something from EU and knew it was cheaper, it wouldn't be a problem for me to ship it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,330 of 3,819
Quote:
Haha, definitely possible, there should be enough space to fit a TRS or XLR plug - unfortunately, I don't have the tools necessary to make the holes.  Ideally you'd need someone with a drill press and the proper sized metal drill bits as the aluminum front panel is pretty thick.  Beyond that, when attaching the internal cables, you're going to want to make sure it's well shielded running back to where the speaker taps connect because the power transformer is near the front.  As for the resistor setup, I can't say what would be optimal so you will have to do further research here, but you will likely want wirewound resistors in an 8-10 ohm parallel (positive to negative wire for each channel) with a high power rating and then a resistor in series with each positive channel.  I imagine it would be similar to the HE-Adapter http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104 except each channel would run thorough a switch where you can select to bypass the resistors for the output to the front panel connector, and a second set of switches further down to select use of front panel or back panel output.  Trust me,  I had thought all about it when I had my Mini-X, but never went through with trying any modifications.  For those brave Mini-X users out there I say go for it, you could start a revolution!  
biggrin.gif

Is there any need to make the output load on the taps equal 8ohms? I was thinking just running some wire wire resistors in series to the female TRS. We did confirm you can run a TRS, right? Someone did that?

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,333 of 3,819
Quote:
I would suggest the hifiman ef5. I think headphones sound best when they are used with amps from the same company or amps that were made for that specific headphone

In my experience usually if a headphone manufacturer cranks out an amplifier they usually perform below the selling price, e.g: Hifiman EF-6, EF-5, Beyerdynamic A1, Sony PHA, and soon to be sennheiser HVD800.

I usually stick to companies who's bread and butter is amplifiers. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,335 of 3,819
Quote:
I just read about this adapter in a hi fi magazine yesterday at Barnes and Noble. Could have been Stereophile. I have no experience with it myself (I have a custom made adapter box made by the guy who designed the amp I am using). Just thought I'd pass this along FYI:

http://www.vinylflat.com/canopener.html

Very nice!  I'm curious about the specs of the resistors, but I imagine this will be ideal for most low impedance headphones, whereas the HiFiMan adapter will be more ideal for Planar headphones. Still, with this adapter + the current price for the Mini-X, that is still a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back