HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #3,811 of 3,819
I'm still using this setup after many years still.

Same! I'm still using my HE500 on my Tubemagic D2 tube DAC and the Emotiva mini-X A-100. I've never bothered to change it. And it's amazing to just enjoy listening and stop searching for "gear." :beerchug:

Very best,

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,812 of 3,819
I'm still using this setup after many years still.

Same! I'm still using my HE500 on my Tubemagic D2 tube DAC and the Emotiva mini-X A-100. I've never bothered to change it. And it's amazing to just enjoy listening and stop searching for "gear." :beerchug:

Very best,

Funny you guys posted this. Just yesterday I received an A100 that I've been testing out. I was thinking about doing like a "Decade Later" from my review that started this mess:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone.493214/page-382#post-8579287

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #3,813 of 3,819
I am a noob with a noob question. I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm intrigued by the idea of using a resistor adapter to raise the impedance-level of a pair of headphones. Would that have any detrimental effect on the headphone's sound signature? Let's obviously assume a sufficiently powerful amp is being used.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,814 of 3,819
I am a noob with a noob question. I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm intrigued by the idea of using a resistor adapter to raise the impedance-level of a pair of headphones. Would that have any detrimental effect on the headphone's sound signature? Let's obviously assume a sufficiently powerful amp is being used.

Thanks!
Yes, it will raise the output impedance of the amplifier, not the impedance of the headphone

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,816 of 3,819
May 19, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #3,817 of 3,819
This is a very informative thread. I've been reading through some of the older pages, I'm trying to connect my HE-400's to the speaker taps of my 2-ch Onkyo amp (TX 8020) - nothing special, but its also my first speaker amp.

Couple questions about the adapters mentioned in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/he-...x-a-100-project.629352/page-198#post-10111998

Before connecting to the TS->Banana plug, how would I get my TRS end to a TS? Should I add a resistor or phono pre-amp for the HE400's?

Also, big up @MalVeauX . 8 years ago you helped me with my first headphone amp purchase (I got a LittleDot mk2 and it got me into tube amps ever since). Thank you for your help.

May 19, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #3,818 of 3,819
This is a very informative thread. I've been reading through some of the older pages, I'm trying to connect my HE-400's to the speaker taps of my 2-ch Onkyo amp (TX 8020) - nothing special, but its also my first speaker amp.

Couple questions about the adapters mentioned in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/he-...x-a-100-project.629352/page-198#post-10111998

Before connecting to the TS->Banana plug, how would I get my TRS end to a TS? Should I add a resistor or phono pre-amp for the HE400's?

Also, big up @MalVeauX . 8 years ago you helped me with my first headphone amp purchase (I got a LittleDot mk2 and it got me into tube amps ever since). Thank you for your help.

Heya,

The HE-400's are easy to drive, so I would put a pretty significant resistor on there if you wanted to use a receiver like the TX8020 on its speaker taps. I used a 500 ohm resistor on my Denon D5000's that are super easy to drive and that did the trick for me on all my amplifiers that I use for easy to drive headphones on speaker amps of various types.

Hopefully someone else can describe the wiring better; I had my cable made. These days, the market is selling very high powered amps now for the planar magnetic headphones, despite the headphones becoming more and more efficient so there's commercial options that are good to do this with that require zero modification. Example is how Emotiva re-released their A-100 as their BasX version with a headphone port that allows full use of the amplifier with jumper positions. And Schiit's Asgard amp is a beast now (not like its original form), it does 5 watts into 16ohms and 3.5 watts into 32ohms. So really, the Asgard would handle hungry planars that can take a lot of current to drive like the old HE6 or the HE500, etc.

I still have my LDMK2 and LDMK3 actually, they're great amps, I've had them for 10+ years now. Enjoy!

Very best,

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,819 of 3,819
I've been considering an integrated amp and/or receiver to drive my DT880 Premiums (600Ω) & I've been eyeing the Marantz PM300s. Does anyone know anything about this particular integrated amplifier & does anyone have any other recommendations with these particular headphones? I'm happy with my Objective2, although I've been yearning for a warmer sound while still maintaining the clarity these headphones possess. Does anyone have any suggestions with integrated amps and receivers and/or information with the Marantz PM300s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back