HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #557 of 3,819
Quote:
Earlier in the thread malveaux said he felt the emotiva sounded on par or maybe slightly better than the LYR.    Your amp inventory says you already have a lyr, so I would just stick with that unless its not getting use or you just want to change it up. 

Heya,

The Emotiva beats the Lyr easily. The Lyr has a noise floor. The Emotiva does not. More power from the Emotiva. Less cost. Clear winner in my book.

Add a tube-dac and get all the goodness you want for still a very good price.

Plus the Emotiva will take care of any hifiman or ortho, not just some of them.

Very best,

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #558 of 3,819
The reason i ask about the Emotiva is because the Hifiman Ef-5 is $399.99. If i only have to pay $199.99 for the Emotiva, and get the same engadging sound with good instrument seperation. I would be saving money :D

Ah, different story then. $200 difference, I'd at least try out the Emotiva - everyone here seems to like it. But since it's regular price now, if you're not in a hurry, you can try out a vintage receiver as well if you want power and like warm/full sound. I got my first one (Yamaha CR-220) for $35 locally and a Harman Kardon 330B for about $50. More than enough power for your 500's and headphone outs of these vintage receivers are powerful as well since they're typically driven from main amp vs separate opamp/circuit, so you may not even need speaker taps. Plus you can drive full size speakers with A/B speaker outputs. True, there can be reliability issues, but for ~$50, you're not out a whole lot if you just resell or donate if it breaks. Just a sidetrack option.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #559 of 3,819
For me the he500 is pretty high end soundwise with my 337.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #560 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

The Emotiva beats the Lyr easily. The Lyr has a noise floor. The Emotiva does not. More power from the Emotiva. Less cost. Clear winner in my book.

Very best,

How exactly do tube-DACs differ from normal dacs in terms of sound?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #561 of 3,819
Hi mac336,

That's wide open for discussion (debate), but I'll take a stab at answering that.

Typically, but not always, tube DACs, like tube amps, are more euphonic, have more coloration, warmth, and sometimes, but again not always, are smoother, darker, and render less detail (than the typical solid state DAC or amp).

From Stereophile's Audio Glossary:

euphonic 
Pleasing to the ear. In audio, "euphonic" has a connotation of exaggerated richness rather than literal accuracy.

coloration 
An audible "signature" with which a reproducing system imbues all signals passing through it.

warm 
The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

smooth 
Sound reproduction having no irritating qualities; free from HF peaks, easy and relaxing to listen to. Effortless. Not necessarily a positive system attribute if accompanied by a slow, uninvolving character.

dark 
A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency. 

detail 
The subtlest, most delicate parts of the original sound, which are usually the first things lost by imperfect components. See "low-level detail." Compare "haze," "smearing," "veiling."

Mike

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #562 of 3,819
There's also the whole odd vs even order hamonics thing (leads to square vs triangular waveforms), to explain some of the differences in solid state vs tube sound. In a very general sense of course. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #566 of 3,819
Quote:
So I guess the tube dac is more of a solution for someone who wants the tube amp sound from a SS amp ?

Pretty much this. If you have a big solid state, but want to add tube, you can either go tube dac or tube pre-amp.

Quote:
Going to try this out next week with the Emotiva  http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1

Suggested from Mal this is suppose to be a great tube DAC/amp to pair to pair with the emotiva.

The TubeMagic D2 is the one I suggest and have.

The A1 is an amplifier.

Very best,

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #567 of 3,819
Quote:

Pretty much this. If you have a big solid state, but want to add tube, you can either go tube dac or tube pre-amp.

The TubeMagic D2 is the one I suggest and have.

The A1 is an amplifier.

Very best,

Hello Mal, I see you also have a Bitfrost, could you give a little info on how it compares to the D2 ? Is it a product (D2) that competes well above its price point using it with the HE-500 ?  Thank You

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #568 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

With the HE6 I find the mini X beats the Mjolnir

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #570 of 3,819
I agree. I find that the mini gives a little bit of a bass kick with the HE-6, but the Mjolnir sounds a little thin in the bass. 

Itms wellknown the he6 pairs better with a desktop amp connected through the loudspeaker connections then with headphone amps...as that baby needs gulps of power..i heard that if u get a vintage marantz or mcintosh quality amp u will be in heaven... If i will upgrade to a he6 i will certainly be looking for a second hand high quality desktop amp. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back