HD800: Am I the only one getting sick of it already?
Jan 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
I mean, not really. Don't get me wrong. I'm as excited about it as anyone else is, and can't wait to actually hear a pair of HD800's myself. But I've put my preorder in, and, well... that's about all I can do about it at this point.

It was great to read the initial impressions and it has been nice to see a couple more of those impression trickling in of late. At this point, I'm convinced that, if nothing else, Sennheiser has (more or less) started from a clean slate and done an overall fantastic job at meeting their objective of creating a state of the art, top of the line, pair of open headphones.

No doubt there are a lot of ins and outs to talk about. The sound (from what we can discern from the comments from those who have heard them), the design, the appearance, the materials used, the measurements, the cost, the marketing strategy, what impact they will have on the pricing and demand for other products (Sennheiser and otherwise), what amps would be best to use with them...

Anyway, you get the idea. But at some point, it just seems to get to be too much. At least for me. Am I alone on this? I'm not talking about hype or even the natural excitement that people (including myself) are having because of the new toy syndrome. What I'm talking about is: Enough of this teasing me with more and more HD800 threads and new posts to respond to, because it is driving me crazy to be thinking about them all the time, and not being able to listen to them!

I don't like thinking about headphones! I like listening to them!

But the HD800 thing is like a train wreck. When you see another HD800 thread/post, you can't just pass by it without looking! Or in my case, getting into the mix by posting about the silly things!

(Yes, I know. I see the irony. I've created yet another HD800 thread/post to drive everyone else nuts... you can't listen to them yet either, so join the crowd, and feel free to talk about them here and elsewhere.)

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 97
All irony aside, you are not the only one Wayne. stevenkelby has added some nice impressions into the crazy long thread, but it is otherwise beaten so far to death you can't even tell it was a horse once. Enough!

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 97
I stopped reading the threads about them. There's simply nothing to talk about until they arrive, let alone anything I'd want to read any more than I have.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All irony aside, you are not the only one Wayne. stevenkelby has added some nice impressions into the crazy long thread, but it is otherwise beaten so far to death you can't even tell it was a horse once. Enough!

Yes! That's what I was talking about. Steven's impressions were a nice injection, but won't keep it alive (for the thinking mind) for long. There are 300-odd posts in the 'plastics' thread. Did I say odd?

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 97
Well, I can add one piece of yet-unknown news about the HD800. Apparently, the manufacturer has listened to the may complaints about the high introductory price and has thus decided to cut the price in half, without degrading the quality. The new HD400 is however, only for people with one ear.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 97
are subsequent head-fier reviews going to be "blinkered" so they can justify their purchase????

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 97
Nope, just you.
tongue.gif

I have also stopped even looking at either thread that interests me, mainly because I have other headphone projects that are demanding my attention, including a meet in Dallas this weekend.

Easy for me to do, as I can just camp out in DIY.

Otherwise it is idle hands ripping apart a paper tiger.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 97
yes. anyone questioning the sanity of the head-fi community need look no further than the HD-800 plastic thread... edit: im just kidding of course, but it does seem just a little crazy...
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 97
This is the first and only post I have read since hearing about the msrp. I figure I will never own a pair unless I find out that I am the only surviving relative of a rich guy that died in Europe and all I have to do is send my bank account and routing info to his lawyer so they can place my new found fortune in to my bank account. Oh wait, that happened today. Well, I better get reading then !!!

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 97
No... any sane person... who's heard the "new" version of the Senn HD580/600/650s with the proper set up - simply can't believe the HD800s are $1100+ better - there's simply no way! It's impossible!

The "new" version of these phones is simply superb... and... with the right set up... the equal of any phones... and way better than most!

If you've heard them properly driven... you'll understand.

If not... you won't.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to get sick of all those ol' HD580 posts.

580????

i never have a thing for sennhesier headphones especially their top range which require amplifers and i am just not an amplifer guy..

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... any sane person... who's heard the "new" version of the Senn HD580/600/650s with the proper set up - simply can't believe the HD800s are $1100+ better - there's simply no way! It's impossible!

The "new" version of these phones is simply superb... and... with the right set up... the equal of any phones... and way better than most!

If you've heard them properly driven... you'll understand.

If not... you won't.

What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back