HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Sep 22, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #211 of 509
Pretty obviously, these words printed on are not on all drivers.

If they were, I doubt there'd be as much indifference. Why are you moaning?

Oh, I don't know.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #212 of 509
Basically, the difference between HD580 and HD650 drivers as pointed out in that old thread and as I observed in my own headphones is the fact that HD580 drivers have a brass ring around the middle, while HD650 drivers lack this ring.

I just looked closely at one of the pictures of the HD650 drivers that say "HD580" on them, and it doesn't look like it has the brass ring that was present in the HD580 driver from the comparison picture. It's really starting to seem to me that those new HD650 drivers just say HD580 but actually have the HD650 structure.

580kp8.jpg

This is the HD580 driver from the comparison thread. Notice the brass ring around the middle.

650iu1.jpg

This is the HD650 driver from the comparison thread. Notice that it lacks the brass ring around the middle.

attachment.php

Here's the picture that someone provided earlier in the thread. Notice how it says "HD580" but lacks the brass ring of the HD580 from the old comparison thread.

Here are the 2 possibilities I've come up with:

1. Those new HD650s have real HD650 drivers in them, which just say HD580 on them for some reason.

2. The HD580 shown in the comparison thread is an old model. Perhaps all Sennheiser drivers made after a certain date lack that brass ring. I know my HD580(which has the brass ring) is definitely an older one.

To test against possbility #2, I ask that anyone who owns a newer HD580 or HD600 (preferably one from near the end of their production run) please check the drivers to see if they have the brass ring. If there is a brass ring, then the owners of the HD650 drivers that say HD580 can most likely rest easy knowing that they have real HD650s. However, if the newer HD580s and HD600s also lack the brass ring, then the brass ring can't be used as the criterium for telling the difference, and the mystery continues
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #213 of 509
We can all completely understand its probably innocent, but there is a chance its not.

We'd just like a proper answer from Sennheiser.

If you've nothing helpful to add, don't pollute this thread. Thanks.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #214 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To test against possbility #2, I ask that anyone who owns a newer HD580 or HD600 (preferably one from near the end of their production run) please check the drivers to see if they have the brass ring. If there is a brass ring, then the owners of the HD650 drivers that say HD580 can most likely rest easy knowing that they have real HD650s. However, if the newer HD580s and HD600s also lack the brass ring, then the brass ring can't be used as the criterium for telling the difference, and the mystery continues
wink.gif

Ok, i own a HD580 which i bought from Amazon in january this year. They have just the numbers 26 07 06 printed on them and there is no brass ring whatsoever..

Did a recheck on the HD650 for the brass ring and its not there either..

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #215 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, i own a HD580 which i bought from Amazon in january this year. They have just the numbers 26 07 06 printed on them and there is no brass ring whatsoever..

Did a recheck on the HD650 for the brass ring and its not there either..

Do your 580 and 650 sound different, and if so how much difference? Could you show some zoom in pictures of your 580 driver?

thanks!

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #217 of 509
Just when I was about to jump into the 650 pool again... this comes up.

This is really stupid, if Sennheiser are putting 580 drivers into 650s, how am I supposed to believe any of their BS?

Are all drivers actually handpicked and tolerated within 1db?? The silkscreen acoustic properties?? All this crap that they spit out on their site and on the boxes and ads....

They had better come out with a better explanation for this or they will lose a lot of customers and we know this will spread further than the walls of headfi, the internet is a very big place and if Sennheiser really screwed over the customers, this will get ugly really quick.

Sennheiser rep... stop being stupid and ante up the real answer.

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #218 of 509
Well I know mine has hard time outshining the MS1 even when properly amped.. the returns can't be this diminished at this point.

So.. I'm all in for the conspiracy theory.

Noooo.. I don't want to start treating my room for speakers.

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #219 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I am affraid of is that I paid HD650's price for a pair of HD580 !
blink.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

I fail to see how that is hard to understand?

Also, as Joey has said its going to stop people buying 650s until this is sorted.

who is up for starting a 'Do not buy Sennheiser HD 650s at the moment' thread?

Maybe this would get Sennheiser to pull their finger out. They know a big chunk of 650-buyers frequent this board.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #222 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did I say? Its slack of Sennheiser to leave 'hd 580' on there. Nothing about using old parts.

Exactly how hard is it to change it? Its in ink, not engrained.

I fail to see how this is an unreasonable thread. We're not Grado-owners you know.

if you look closely, it's not just the ink, but the driver itself also seems different. They might tweak the hd650 while in production a couple of years though. Some amp manufactureres also change specs unnotified to their liking.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #223 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, anyone thats so worried about this want to sell their HD650 with the HD580 marked drivers? I'll buy. :p

Damn! Why didn't I think of that! I'll buy one too!

It's just so I have backup drivers for my HD580 in case they break.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #224 of 509
Do you mean, why would they put it on?

That makes me think it is different to the 650. Why else would they need to label it thus? Only to differentiate it.
If it was identical through the 3 cans there wouldn't be a 580 one.

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #225 of 509
Allrighty, here are 2 pictures of my first batch european hd650 ever to come to the market. My hd650 is one of the oldest; i purchased one as soon as it came out.

This is how my driver looks like:

driverhd650.JPG

second picture.

driverhd650-2.JPG

good thing i took it apart, i see i need to remove a hair from the driver.
biggrin.gif

As you clearly can see, nothing on it, no ring or whatever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back