hd650 or hd800
Sep 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #181 of 279

Quote:
HD650's are the essence of mediocrity, with a generous amount of sloppy bass.

They do not compete with the HD800, it's like an ugly chipped club versus a katana.

HD800's are so good they make you cry a little tear at how bad they actually are.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

I can fully see how you'd come to this opinion with the gear listed, which seem to be lacking either cans in question.  

The Sennheiser HD650s, even TWag recabled have a warmer sound signature than the similarly recabled HD800s.  The build quality and comfort level of the HD800s however, far more advanced than the HD6xx series, hence the price difference.  The similarly recabled HD600s, however, do give the HD800s a run for its money.  Read the Duel of the Xes review (sig below) I have written some time ago about this very same comparison.

Headphones themselves are just part of the picture.  Proper source, amplification, cabling (systems matching) can greatly influence their overall sound quality one way or the other.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #184 of 279
Two points.  I can't afford the HD-800's nor can I afford the gear necessary to make the HD-800's sound even better.  Or is this even a valid point to be made regarding these two headphones?

With a decent Amp, the HD-650's, with only a sound card DAC will reveal how bad some recordings are.

The point, you get to a point where your headphone system is so good, you can't find many decent recordings that you can listen to and then you come to the realization that your system is too good and you'll have to downgrade the system, just so you can find some standard Redbook material to listen to.  Is it about the gear or the music?

Well, that's my take.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #187 of 279

Quote:
the hd650's are probably the most respected mid-high level audiophile headphone.  wish they had a 32 ohm version of them.

I personally consider the HD650's to be high end in performance, though not high end in build quality.  The HD800's are a lot better built.  Same for my Ed8's.  It's just an entirely different level of workmanship, materials used etc.  However, the sonic qualities are pretty much up there.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #188 of 279
The HD800s destroy the HD650 in outright definition.  The HD650 retains an advantage in midrange intimacy - and a gentler treble, IF this is what one prefers.  Regardless of which midrange presentation one prefers (I prefer the HD650 - but would take home the HD800 for its realistic definition),  I have to commend Sennheiser, because the midrange is always liquid, smooth, analogue , well integrated and very natural sounding - even in the HD650s, with the HD800 much more emphasised in the upper mids, without the K701 discontinuity.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #189 of 279

Quote:
The HD800s destroy the HD650 in outright definition.  The HD650 retains an advantage in midrange intimacy - and a gentler treble, IF this is what one prefers.  Regardless of which midrange presentation one prefers (I prefer the HD650 - but would take home the HD800 for its realistic definition),  I have to commend Sennheiser, because the midrange is always liquid, smooth, analogue , well integrated and very natural sounding - even in the HD650s, with the HD800 much more emphasised in the upper mids, without the K701 discontinuity.

Wow, I stop visiting head-fi and all of a sudden you are all pro-800??? 
eek.gif
 Is the world really ending and nobody told me???  I agree with what you say, both have very good midranges.

Personally I think the 800 are a category above the 650 and can play with the big boys (O2/LCD2/HE60...etc.), although value for the money the 650 are better (you know with all that stuff of diminishing returns and stuff). 

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #190 of 279

Quote:
The HD800s destroy the HD650 in outright definition. 

I'm always amused by the militaristic language when comparing headphones---something is always being 'destroyed" or "blown away", when in fact the poster merely means that there was a noticeable difference for the better. Oh well, language should be colourful, I guess.  
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #191 of 279

Quote:
Wow, I stop visiting head-fi and all of a sudden you are all pro-800??? 
eek.gif
 Is the world really ending and nobody told me???  I agree with what you say, both have very good midranges.

Personally I think the 800 are a category above the 650 and can play with the big boys (O2/LCD2/HE60...etc.), although value for the money the 650 are better (you know with all that stuff of diminishing returns and stuff). 

Yes...in fact I just came from an audition with the HE60....I do feel HD800/O2/HE60/LCD2 compete in the same league in pure technicalities

As good as the HD800s are, I am still very treble sensitive and the HD800s induce fatigue very quickly for me - same as the K701s in that regard...I guess some people just aren't as sensitive in the treble.  I find the HD800 a double edged sword...as magnificent as it sounds in the upper mids and treble it is the same strength that causes fatigue with me very quickly...but on fresh ears - I do get blown away on specific recordings like nothing else.  They're strictly low level cans for me - providing the volume stays low, I can enjoy them for extended periods - enjoy them I did.

Quote:
I'm always amused by the militaristic language when comparing headphones---something is always being 'destroyed" or "blown away", when in fact the poster merely means that there was a noticeable difference for the better. Oh well, language should be colourful, I guess.  
tongue.gif

Okay, you got me there.
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #192 of 279
Destroyed is most definitely hyperbole. It implies that something is absolutely outclassed in every perceivable way and not even worth mentioning the same breath. So where does that leave those cans under the HD650s? Ultimate annihilation? This sort of exaggeration is a major problem on headfi and creates confusion as to how headphones sound/perform relative to each other.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #193 of 279
Most people can't really hear the difference anyway.. 

HD800 is often descriebed as neutral, realistic and "music as it is meant to sound". But what does that imply? ?!

Compared to any concert I've been to - acoustic or not - the HD650 is bass-shy, the HD800 is anemic.  

What is preferred, sitting at home is of course something else. But the terms neutral and realistic should in my opinion refer to the actual musicians playing live on stage or in studio.

Revealing, however, is a better description.

BTW - I enjoy them both (600 and 800 that is). 

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #195 of 279

Quote:

Yes...in fact I just came from an audition with the HE60....I do feel HD800/O2/HE60/LCD2 compete in the same league in pure technicalities...and I have the T1 here with me and feel they do not play on the same level, stuck in no mans land, being flanked by the LCD2s and HD800, both of which can do things the T1 cannot.  The HD650 and K701 is waiting below to swallow the T1 also. 

As good as the HD800s are, I am still very treble sensitive and the HD800s induce fatigue very quickly for me - same as the K701s in that regard...I guess some people just aren't as sensitive in the treble.  I find the HD800 a double edged sword...as magnificent as it sounds in the upper mids and treble it is the same strength that causes fatigue with me very quickly...but on fresh ears - I do get blown away on specific recordings like nothing else.  They're strictly low level cans for me - providing the volume stays low, I can enjoy them for extended periods - enjoy them I did.

Okay, you got me there.
wink_face.gif

OK...confirmed, please go get a hearing test.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back