hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,026 of 3,348
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,027 of 3,348
Quote:
I just read some really exciting info about the HD 25 1-II.....  

(copied from the Stefan Audio Art web site)

By simply removing the Sennheiser HD25 stock cable, sliding off each ear piece, turning then around and connecting an E-Series HD25 audiophile headphone cable you can turn these headphones in to one of the most perfectly balanced and rich sounding headphones available. This includes deep full bass, the wonderful "classic" Sennheiser midrange, perfect treble integration and nicely expanded soundstage. With the E-Series headphone cable the HD25's offer the sonic performance of a $1000.00 plus headphone. If fact, soundstage withstanding, the HD25's outperform many headphones costing 5 times the price.

Does anyone have any experience with this cable on the HD25 1-II?    I've tried the Stefan Audio Art cable on my HD650's a few years back and REALLY LIKED the way the cable made them sound.... the only thing is, I was just getting into Head-Fi at the time, so I felt like my limited experience excluded me from properly judging them.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,029 of 3,348
Cables can make a difference. However, economics do matter. The idea of an upgrade costing more than the original device is suspect at best. So, while a $350 set of cables may make sense for a more expensive pair of headphones, they are probably not the best investment for a $200 pair.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,030 of 3,348
The Oyaide looks nice...http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-Oyaide-HD25-lead-cable-HPC-HD25-Silver-/150953400238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23258617ae

Should be worth the $68 but I have no actual experience with this cable. Uses Oyaide HPC-26T cable:

[size=x-small]Feature[/size]

PVC flexible to change than the exterior! PCOCC-A shielded parallel cable for the "HPC-26T" headphone
Using PCOCC-A, shield and core × 2 (7/0.16) 1 AWG26 center conductor, the size is shielded wire parallel HWS-20 thinner than, the use of earphones or headphones, a more manageable size shield parallel This cable is.
The insulation is good electrical properties, low-loss materials using the PFA.
The exterior will be changed to PVC, and more flexible.

Point
HPC-26T, which enabled the transmission of pure low transmission loss is very small impurities in the conductor, I will provide a sound well-balanced with a tight overall without compromising the amount of information in the clear.
Specification example
From 3.5 stereo mini plug in RCA (L · R), iPod from (output) mini component (input).
To the pre-and main amplifier (input) from mini component (output) audio board PC.

[size=x-small]Specification[/size]

[size=x-small]Conductor[/size]
[size=x-small]× AWG26 core PCOCC-A 2 (7/0.16)[/size]
[size=x-small]Insulator[/size]
[size=x-small]PFA0.14mm thickness[/size]
[size=x-small]Shield[/size]
[size=x-small]Spiral shield PCOCC-A (21/0.12)[/size]
[size=x-small]Exterior[/size]
[size=x-small]I got to change PVC ←.[/size]
[size=x-small]Cable OD[/size]
[size=x-small]2.0mm × 4.0mm[/size]
[size=x-small]Test voltage V (min AC1)[/size]
[size=x-small]500[/size]

Agree as stated earlier, much more than this(maybe up to $100) is all I would go for a $200 portable especially if you use it on the go.

Speaking of the $200 price tag, it seems the Amperior factory refurbs are showing up for $200.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,031 of 3,348
Quote:
Cables can make a difference. However, economics do matter. The idea of an upgrade costing more than the original device is suspect at best. So, while a $350 set of cables may make sense for a more expensive pair of headphones, they are probably not the best investment for a $200 pair.

I have a question, and you have much more experience with this hobby than I do, so I think you would be able to give me a good answer:

In regarding spending $300 on a cable for a $200 set of headphones... it doesn't make sense at first glance, but if this SAA cable (or Cardas, or BlackDragon, or DoubleHelix, etc) would make my $200 headphones sound like a pair of $1000 headphones, wouldn't it be WORTH IT?

$200 headphone + $300 cable = $500 spent on headphones

SOUNDS LIKE $1000 headphone, yet I am only spending a total of $500....

Please clarify.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,032 of 3,348
LAMitchell,

To a particular individual they may sound like $1K HP's. They won't to everyone. So, any cable upgrade (And I have some really nice ones myself) is a YMMV proposition. Generally, you get what you pay for. The HD650's I use are rightfully known as "scalable" HP's. The better the; Source, Amp, DAC, Cable, bitrate, etc. The better they will be. This is not the case with every piece of gear. So a $400 cable on a $500 HP has yielded great results for me. I am not trying to discourage your discovery, just cautioning against expecting more than may be possible.

One thing is clear about this hobby. Synergy is both a key and somewhat elusive. You can pair up some top shelf gear and get decent results. You can pair lesser gear and over achieve. And, most importantly, your personal experience is the only thing that should matter to you and your ears.

So, given my buying habits, far be it for me to discourage anyone getting new gear  
biggrin.gif
. I am always hoping everyone has a good experience and enjoys their music!

Happy Holidays!

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,033 of 3,348
LAMitchell,
One thing is clear about this hobby. Synergy is both a key and somewhat elusive. You can pair up some top shelf gear and get decent results. You can pair lesser gear and over achieve. And, most importantly, your personal experience is the only thing that should matter to you and your ears.

Amen

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,034 of 3,348
Received my Oyaide HPC-HD25 today :)
Looks awesome, well made too. The mini-jack is fantastic, very small so it fits smartphones in protective cases, a problem I encounter with most full sized headphones when using my Samsung Note II.

Sounds good, can't go into detail as I haven't listened for an extended amount of time yet.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,035 of 3,348
Looks nice on your set, too.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,036 of 3,348

I'm glad I ordered the yellow one. Goes well with the black, still looks professional and doesn't look like a pair of Beats 
biggrin.gif

Bought here if anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150953400839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1036wt_907

Got it in under 5 days from JP to AU. Very fast, especially over the holiday period.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,037 of 3,348
Quote:
Looks awesome, well made too. The mini-jack is fantastic, very small so it fits smartphones in protective cases, a problem I encounter with most full sized headphones when using my Samsung Note II.

Sounds good, can't go into detail as I haven't listened for an extended amount of time yet.

OUCH! that is a BEAUTIFUL cord!!!

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,038 of 3,348
Quote:

looking forward for more detailed impressions. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,039 of 3,348
Are HD25 1 II Adidas Originals owners welcome in these parts?? :p

And on the subject of cable upgrades, If it hasnt been mentioned already, 
Frank/Toxic Cables will hopefully soon be designing a re-cable for the HD25...
If so I know I'll be pouncing on it!
I do have the Mogami Quad but I find the connectors arent a great fit and the cable isnt really suited to portable use.

Heres a few shots anyway...

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,040 of 3,348
Nice!

Been using my hd25's a lot recently.  Whilst I like the sound and isolation (for a can)  I do find them tiring after a day's session with them.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back