Has anyone received the Audio-gd DAC-19MK3 yet?
May 3, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #31 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does Mode A mean that you can't play regular FLAC files through the DAC, only HDCD? I thought that it had both options automatically but it seems that it's either HDCD or not.

i may be wrong, but i think mode B support HDCD while mode a is for normal redbook cd playing

i guess we should wait for kingwa reply on this

May 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #32 of 362
yeah, someone who knows should clarify that to us! (and with proper english
biggrin.gif
)

May 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 362
LOL ??

May 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #35 of 362
Quote:

Dear Sir,
Can the HDCD version of the DAC-19 playback FLAC files?---We can't sure that,but the it can support 33-55k.
Audio-gd power cable price is USD75 now.
Best regards.
Cherry

Can someone provide some input on this?

May 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #36 of 362
Quote:

1) How does the DAC-19MK3 compare with the previous version in terms of sound quality? How much of an upgrade is it? Similarly, how does it compare with the Compass and DAC-200? How much better is it?--------------------------DAC19MK3 compare to DAC19SE has follow upgrade
1, Support Optical / USB input. DAC-19SE only has coaxial input .
2, All aluminium classis box. DAC-19SE is use iron classis box.
3, Add a power on/off protect , don't worry while powering on/off will output big "pop" sound to amp.
4, New CAST modules apply.
In SQ, they are very near, MK3 only a little rich in mid and high.
DAC19 no compare to DAC200 and COmpass.
DAC19 is monitor sound,it sound level depend on source and record QC.
DAC200/Compass compare to DAC19 ,sound has a bit coloration.

2) I understand that the DAC-19 comes in two modes. I will be connecting the DAC-19 to my iMac and listen exclusively to high bitrate mp3 and FLAC. Which mode should I choose? Will I need the HDCD version only if I listen to HDCD material?

3) How do the two modes differ in sound quality? Is one better than the other?
HDCD version sound better, though play normal CD format, but only support to 55K.
If you want to support to 96K, can choice the no HDCD version.

Kingwa's email to me.

May 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #37 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone provide some input on this?

should not be a problem

cause flac file mostly are normal redbook cd file unless ur flac is highly encoded like the 96k file those type

i have choosen the Mode A
popcorn.gif

May 4, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #38 of 362
he could use a switch for that
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #40 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by iron_gr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he could use a switch for that
biggrin.gif

good idea...someone can tell kingwa that
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant help to notice,
So this dac doesnt comes with a headphone output? and volume control?

no...this is just a dac..

no pre amp, no headphone output

May 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #41 of 362
I might be wrong but,...

The 2 versions use different filter chips. PMD 100 supports the decoding of HDCD red book CDs but will not decode HD 24bit/96k tracks/files at its full resolution. The B version decodes HD 24bit/96k tracks/files at its full resolution but does not support the decoding of HDCD encoded red book CDs. These are 2 different filter chips, might not be easy to place a switch include the 2 filters and allow for the selection between the 2.

May 4, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #42 of 362
I don't think it's trivial to build a circuit that has both good sound quality and can switch between two input filters.

May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #43 of 362
Yeah, it might not be easy and/or might not be so good for sound quality, but it's still a solution for someone who wants everything IMHO.

Getting a new DAC that is NOT capable of decoding 24/96, might not be a smart decision. Of course It depends on the usage, but still we must think forward (HD).

May 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #44 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by iron_gr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting a new DAC that is NOT capable of decoding 24/96, might not be a smart decision. Of course It depends on the usage, but still we must think forward (HD).

I concur. Within the lifetime of your next DAC, 24/96 may indeed become standard. HDCD is not that prevalent anyway, and not many new CDs are using it. HDCD was a way to make a marginal improvement in 16/44 recordings, but if you have the ability to record and playback 24/96, there's really no need for HDCD. And a lot of people were turned off to HDCD when Microsoft acquired Pacific Microsonics.

The major advantage I see to the DAC configuration (Mode A) with the PMD100 chip is that it is supposed to be an extremely good digital filter even for non-HDCD content.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #45 of 362
I am thinking since i will most likely be using the dac..

it would also be cap by the usb which is 16/44 for this

unless kingwa somehow manage to get the license for implementing 24bit usb dac

btw..anyone got shipping date yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back