Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #676 of 3,700
That would be nice - but above my pay grade - which is $0 :wink_face:

Just installed Jplay - working beautifully with the Thesycon drivers.  Not a single hiccup so far.  Running the WaveIO ASIO using 'beach' and big buffers.

The android mobile version does have a "search this thread" function. It is the icon at the top right of my screen.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #678 of 3,700
  That would be nice - but above my pay grade - which is $0
wink_face.gif

Just installed Jplay - working beautifully with the Thesycon drivers.  Not a single hiccup so far.  Running the WaveIO ASIO using 'beach' and big buffers.

I use JPlay as KS with Xtreme setting and buffers as direct link. Thesycon driver buffer 128
Works flawless

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #680 of 3,700
think the ability to play multiple tracks at the same time is a function of xcore architecture, so set vol to max and just play one tune/sound at a time for best quality, I guess.

https://www.xmos.com/download/public/xCORE-Architecture%281.2%29.pdf

---- Verifying intra-filter topology of filter \\?\tusbaudio_enum#vid_20b1&pid_000a&ks#6&1e31c658&8&1#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\pcm_out_02_00 (xCORE USB Audio 2.0 Output) ----
 ~~ Examining Nodes ~~
 Verifying that each node has at least 2 connections
 Verifying Node [0] KSNODETYPE_DAC (DAC) ...
     1 incoming connections (1 from Pins, 0 from other Nodes)
     1 outgoing connections (0 to Pins, 1 to other Nodes)
 Verifying Node [1] KSNODETYPE_MUTE (Master Mute) ...
     1 incoming connections (0 from Pins, 1 from other Nodes)
     1 outgoing connections (0 to Pins, 1 to other Nodes)
 Verifying Node [2] KSNODETYPE_VOLUME (Speakers) ...
     1 incoming connections (0 from Pins, 1 from other Nodes)
     1 outgoing connections (1 to Pins, 0 to other Nodes)
 ~~ Examining Pins ~~
 Verifying that each pin has at least 1 connection
 Verifying Pin [0] ...
      0 incoming connections (0 from other Pins, 0 from Nodes)
      1 outgoing connections (0 to other Pins, 1 to Nodes)
 Verifying Pin [1] (Speakers) ...
      1 incoming connections (0 from other Pins, 1 from Nodes)
      0 outgoing connections (0 to other Pins, 0 to Nodes)

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #682 of 3,700
  I've used multiple Gustard outputs just to compare bluejean's AES cable vs their coax cable.  Both cables ran into the same DAC and I could A/B them with a rocker switch on my DAC w/o interrupting playback.

RB - your thread has got so many pages that the same questions are going to be repeated.  It would be nice if head-fi offered a search-inside-thread option.

This weekend I heard the IFI iUSBPower device on my Gustard and it did a fine job of filtering, even with my $7 USB cables.  For me it removed the very last artifacts of a digital signature.  It reminded me of the sound I've heard from some high end CD players.  I suspect however that the cheaper iPurifier will accomplish the same results because I think the Gustard only uses USB power as like a 12v on/off trigger.  I have both units coming in the mail so I'll be able to report my findings in a couple weeks.

Hi Wynnytsky,

Thanks for the multiple outputs confirmation (I think you maybe posted that info before.. much appreciated). I am thinking about using the  HDMI I2S and AES together. I now am using the AES to an Audio GD NOS1704 DAC and the results are outstanding...

I have also just added an IFI iUSBPower with their Gemini cable (from the computer) and using an adapter at the U12 end (the iUSB Power is upside-down). It seemed to be an improvement but I have made a few changes lately (I may remove it later and check if the iUSB is really necessary for SQ).
I also recently added a Yulong P18 powering the U12, DAC and preamp.. I think that was helpful also as the power here is not so great.
http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/yulong-p18-without-dynamic-compression-power-purifier-filter.html
Now, if the recording is good, I cannot sense any hash in the vocal area if the vocals are recorded relatively dry. I was able to adjust my JPlay and AO settings for maximum detail without any noticeable high frequency hash being amplified. 

Before the Gemini, I was using a Supra USB cable.. (had a good whathifi review).. pretty cheap and possibly a step up from standard, but if I remember correct the iPower includes a nice USB cable in the box.

I also bought and tried an iPurifier but with another DDC before I got the U12, but there was no improvement in my system with the iPurifier .

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #683 of 3,700

Yes Xtreme works as well.  I tried KS works as well.  Buffer settings 32 , 96K 128, 192K 512.  I upsample all redbook 16/44 to 192k in foobar with SoX (50% Phase Response, No Aliasing, Passband 95%, Qaulity = High)

Good info - I may try this driver as I could use a clean 1 or 2 db balance control... I am using the standard driver that came on the little U12 disc. JPlay settings are KS, Ultrastream, direct buffers up to 24/96 (current DAC limit), US size = 50, JPlay Mini, Hibernate mode OK... 

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #684 of 3,700

Good info - I may try this driver as I could use a clean 1 or 2 db balance control... I am using the standard driver that came on the little U12 disc. JPlay settings are KS, Ultrastream, direct buffers up to 24/96 (current DAC limit), US size = 50, JPlay Mini, Hibernate mode OK... 

+1 I'm the same.  Do to room issues I need that 1 or 2 db balance the WaveIO ASIO gives that option in the Thesycon Control Panel.  If you look under 'Status' it will show the sample rate being output to the DAC, under 'Current Sample Rate'.  With the SoX resampler you can change that at will.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #686 of 3,700
As a side note - for those DIYers out there - Sonic Craft has a great sale going on now.  So if you need some of the higher end caps and such - like Mundorf Silver or Gold/Silver - they're at prices I've never seen before (just got some Mundorf Supreme Gold/Silver/Oil 2.7uf's for $100/each for my R2R Lite60 DAC mod project).

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #687 of 3,700

I can confirm my U12 outputs at 352K and 384K via spdif coax.  I have some naive 352K DLs from 2L and I can upsample with SoX 4x -so with a 96K x4 = 384K.

Just to confirm I tried to output these rates to one of my DAC's which can only accept 192k or less - it unlocked at those rates.  Relocked when I returned to 192K.

There must be an issue with the 'non-standard' spdif 384k implementation on the Hugo - since there is no 'standard'.  Or an incompatibility with the receiver chipset.

I would try to turn off and unplug the Hugo with the U12 outputting the 384k signal, wait 60 seconds and replug and turn on.  Sometimes these receiver chips will lock on to a frequency and not let go.  Although on my Musiland, APL and Modded Lite DAC's I've not had an issue with the U12.

Great news for Gustard owners,but...how did you confirm?  "Unlocked at those rates" is not enough info for me; I am missing something.  And what DAC?  Did it report 352k or 384k? Gustard specs show 192K for SPDIF (384k for I2S), but that's all I am going on (except for everyone who has tried >192k failed).   I don't own a Gustard, was simply telling folks that the Hugo is fine with those rates out of the box.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #688 of 3,700
Hey, setting the U12 as a default device in Windows control panel [-> sound] might have fixed the issue... Will update again if it returns. Fingers crossed 
redface.gif

Nope... Really starting to think I have a defective unit... It just locks randomly while playing [not when idle]... The screen goes from [44.1/96/etc] to [--------].

Ow
frown.gif

See latest post

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #689 of 3,700

Great news for Gustard owners,but...how did you confirm?  "Unlocked at those rates" is not enough info for me; I am missing something.  And what DAC?  Did it report 352k or 384k? Gustard specs show 192K for SPDIF (384k for I2S), but that's all I am going on (except for everyone who has tried >192k failed).   I don't own a Gustard, was simply telling folks that the Hugo is fine with those rates out of the box.

In the Thesycon Control window under status I got 352,800 on some 2L hi res DxD DLs.  And using the SoX upsampler 4x feature on a 96K file I have 384,000 showing.

But the best news was me and a friend are doing a Sokeris R2R DAC build project (seem previously posted link).  His is further along then mine (my board is on order) - we got a lock and output at those rates!  He had to leave so we couldn't mess with it much - but it sounded good.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #690 of 3,700
Stumbled on to this CA thread about the U12 (this one was mentioned early on!)  we beat them to the punch!  Lot's of good info.  It seems like it's unanimously well liked -by a very knowledgeable, experienced and tough crowd!

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/gustard-u12-22517/

Quote: Back in Dec 2014

The Gustard is mentioned quite a bit in a thread titled "What are the new asynch​
USB
converter contenders for 2014?". The​
head-fi
forums are abuzz over it too.​

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Ben-M
Got mine

Got mine too! What's your opinion?​
I like it in my setup. All and all it sounds more natural. Better defined. Natural sound is key in my book, this U12 is very capable of doing so.​
In combination with the app bitperfect the sample-frequency automatically adjusts on both the mac-mini and the Gustard follows this flawless.​
It also provides a very controlled low. All and all, it improved the balans in my setup.​
Eric Bibb's 'i heard the angels singing' from 'painting signs' (relative harsh/mid-happy recording) sounds better then before.​
Overall very happy with the cheap upgrade.​

I have a​
SOTM
SMS-100 and it works perfectly with the Gustard U12. There is no change in sampling frequency from the SMS-100 to the​
DAC
. The sample rate indicator on my​
DAC
always matches the sample rate indicator on the Gustard. Once broken in, the sound quality is terrific. No driver is required for the Linux computers, or the SMS-100.​

I was asking for a list of common​
mods
earlier, minus the entire removal of the AC power system that Harpy has done. Feel free to add to it, it's just what I've found/am planning on.​
Mods so far:
- Replace 45.1584MHz clock with Crystek - 957 (CCHD-957 45.158MHz)​
- Replace 49.152MHz clock with Crystek (CCHD-957 49.152MHz)​
- Shield clocks with Mu-metal or 3M AB5100/S (or both, if you've got 'em :wink: )​
- Replace transformer with any CE, FCC, UL, etc. rated transformer. As long as there's more copper in it and it's rated, it should be fine. Transformers used on a previous Gustard - U10 upgrade were an Amgis/Alfamag or Talema unit.​
- Shield transformer with copper, nickle or Mu-metal (or all 3, if you've got 'em :wink: )​
- Replace PS(power supply) filter capacitors with​
caps
like​
FCs at 2200uf (I'm going to go a bit higher on capacitance)​
- Replace the main rectifier filter​
caps
with ones like the Nichicon FP Polymers (2x lower ESR)​
- Replace SPDIF/​
AES
pulse transformers with Murata DA101C; or ones like Newava S1122(very good feedback), Lundahl LL1572(used in Audio Note gear), or Scientific Conversion SC947-02(experienced users' best feedback)​
- Shield XMOS and other chips with 3M AB5100/S​

1. Crystek 957 45MHz - I was wrong, it's a​
22.5792MHz - Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27​
2. Crystek 957 49MHz - I was wrong, it's a​
24.576MHz​
- Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27​
3. Mu-metal & AB-5100(non-S) - already have and want to use on something. I have more than what I'll need for here.​
4. New transformer - (Amgis, for example) $20; but let's say a more expensive one @ $50.​
5. Copper, Mu-Metal, Nickle shilding - again, already have and want to use.​
6.​
FC or Nichicon KZ @ 3500uf(for example) - $5-7(for 2)​
7. Scientific Conversion SC947-02 - $20​
8. AB-5100(non-S) - you know it.​
9. Murata - AC line filter choke - $2​
So, total cost to me is about $130, exactly what I paid for the thing, and pretty much what I had spit-balled when I was thinking about it earlier. That might seem outlandish, but the issue is that the Gustard was just so cheap from the beginning. If it was more expensive then it would make those prices seem lower and more realistic. Haha, in looking at what I'm planning to do and change on the unit, imagine how much that would cost from a retailer or modder...​
Like damn, I just finshed with that never ending nightmare, i mean funding, campaign of the Geek Pulse and modifications like that were like $100 a pop. But ahhh, I can't talk shiit too much. I'll be happy when I get my tricked out​
DAC
+AMP from them for work :-D​
Anyway, I bet if I geared this Gustard U12 thing up with those all​
mods
it'd be and interesting little piece of gear to listen to. Like I had mentioned earlier, even if it doesn't sound that great, the construction of it feels very impressive and I loved it as soon as I picked it up.​
I think it's not all that expensive for a fun little project. You're right about the amount of time though, I wish it would take a little shorter. I also hope I don't just screwing drop it or something when I'm done and ruin all my work @_@​
I'll definitely report in when it's all done; the months and months from now when that is :p

Might also consider too:​
. Very easy mod, but jacks the price up $40.00.​
Believe it is the 5v model. Resistor already in place.​

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Harpy
I don't know. It can do 384khz 32 bit and I just loaded the U12 drivers on it (I think). Not having a DAC with an IIS port I run DSD 64 over SPDIF or AES3sometimes. If there are major differences I would like to get the U-12 and move over the mods.

You have a​
DAC
that will take 32/384 over SPDIF and/or​
AES3
? I am certain that SPDIF was limited to 24/192, and​
AES3
might be as well. Hmmm, I don't mean this in a doubting way, but I'd like to hear more about this. Since I've got the older L1 XMOS in my PWD Mkii I'd appreciate hearing how you've got your gear hooked up.​
If I were going to look at​
more​
mods
or continued modding, I'd look at moving to the newer U12 now with the new chip. In the end the older U10 with its L1 chip is limited in comparison of it's abilities.​

U12 is UAC2-compliant and will work on Linux.​
I'm listening to it connected to my Cubietruck running SOA.​

It seems we are ahead Thesycon driver wise (WaveIO ASIO, Thesycon Control Window, Thesycon Spy Tool) - thanks to you Chodi!!!

But they are way ahead on the mod front - lots of good suggestions.  Someone mentioned the Vanguard clocks there being the best.  Better get my soldering iron hot!

PS These were only 'suggested' mods - not actually done - so we are ahead!  I have the Pannies FC's already in.  Lot's of talk about mods already done to the U10.  I want to see which Amgis transformer they try - as that was discussed way back last year.  And I think we determined it was not a plug and play drop in replacement, like on the U10.  It appears the transformer in the U12 may have an unusual - proprietary wiring configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back