Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #631 of 3,700
  Hi, I have a Gustard U12, and this past weekend tried bypassing the relay with a wire soldered between the legs.  It worked in that the Gustard powered up without 5 volt power with the bypass installed.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't play without 5 volt power.

My solution was to install an Aqvox USB connector which takes 5 volt power from an external source as substitute for the dirty power from the host computer.  One leg of a Keces power supply supplies the 5v power.

It sounds great!  

FYI, Aqvox will sell the cable without the linear power supply, if like me, you have one already.

This is very strange, it looks like the U12 does indeed need the 5V USB supply, and to be honest, that worries me a little bit,,,

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #632 of 3,700

+1 I just sold my Aqvox's I used with my Musiland USB 3.0's  Should have kept them.  I will order the cable only tomorrow - thanks for the tip!

beerchug.gif

Just order the E...... USB card we were talking about, you can power it external, and, i suppose it's cheaper than the cable 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #633 of 3,700
  Hello Motberg,

I just contacted Gustard, they said X12 is their latest DAC.

Regards,

Hi and thanks for the check... much appreciated. I will be in the market for another DAC soon, and looking for something that will match up with the U12...
I just noticed a thread starting at http://www.head-fi.org/t/752522/gustard-amplifiers-and-dacs which has some good preliminary Gustard info in case anyone is interested in their other products.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #634 of 3,700
  This is very strange, it looks like the U12 does indeed need the 5V USB supply, and to be honest, that worries me a little bit,,,

The U12 has a protective circuit that disables the receiver if it detects a loss of connection (someone trying to hot USB cable swap?! or accidental disconnect).  TO reset the relay you need to unplug the U12 then replug.

So likely it uses the USB power to 'detect' connection.  Versus a software/PC setting issue.

Smart switch, USB has a current interface to boot. Interface with the computer switch and switch machine (computer to be set off USB power failure), or unplug the USB cable directly to the shutdown 

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #635 of 3,700

The U12 has a protective circuit that disables the receiver if it detects a loss of connection (someone trying to hot USB cable swap?! or accidental disconnect).  TO reset the relay you need to unplug the U12 then replug.

So likely it uses the USB power to 'detect' connection.  Versus a software/PC setting issue.

I think that's the problem I am experiencing... Except my USB cable is a regular one 
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #636 of 3,700

The Aqvox is a neat little unit.  Linear PS that replaces the power feed from the PC using a special adapter.  They're not cheap though.

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Yeah I read about that.  The Wyrd provides a Linear power as well.  So that makes me wonder what the pro/con's between the brands would be.  The Wyrd also does some reclocking so there's definitely some other differences to wonder about.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #637 of 3,700

Yeah I read about that.  The Wyrd provides a Linear power as well.  So that makes me wonder what the pro/con's between the brands would be.  The Wyrd also does some reclocking so there's definitely some other differences to wonder about.

I believe the Wyrd is supposed to work as a galvanic isolator as well - not sure which transformers they use.  To help with hum and GL issue.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #638 of 3,700
Sorry,but I need to repost this to get an answer, you guys seems ignoring..

Hello, I received my gustard u12 this morning and i have been really enjoying the sound it creates with my hugo via coaxial.
Would like to ask you some questions,hope you can answer me and that they are of general interest:
Does the coaxial output support a 384 kHz stream?I am able to make the led of the gustard to show this rate , but the hugo does not show any light or sound,almost like the data cannot pass in the cable i'm using(20 $ cable)

Does the toslink output support a 192 kHz data signal?Cause the hugo can get that sample rate as an input and also by other devices, but I am only able to stream a 96kHz signal(problably because I am using a really cheap cable,as I read on another forum)

Thank you very much

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #639 of 3,700
  Sorry,but I need to repost this to get an answer, you guys seems ignoring..

Does the toslink output support a 192 kHz data signal?

Thank you very much

Yes, my DAC accepts 192kHz/24bit signal via TOS-link.  I checked it for you just now.  The optical cable I used is a cheap one from Sony.
In terms of 384kHz coaxial, it did not work with my DAC (up to 384kHz via I2S capable), nor via AES/EBU.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #640 of 3,700
  Yes, my DAC accepts 192kHz/24bit signal via TOS-link.  I checked it for you just now.  The optical cable I used is a cheap one from Sony.
In terms of 384kHz coaxial, it did not work with my DAC (up to 384kHz via I2S capable), nor via AES/EBU.

Thank you for the reply.
Probably my toslink cable has some limitations, cause the hugo dac can take a 192kHz via Toslink.
In regard of the coax stream,I'd like to know if the gustard itself support 384kHz via coax,cause the hugo can accept a coax input at this rate.I cannot find this information anywhere on the internet

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #641 of 3,700

Thank you for the reply.
Probably my toslink cable has some limitations, cause the hugo dac can take a 192kHz via Toslink.
In regard of the coax stream,I'd like to know if the gustard itself support 384kHz via coax,cause the hugo can accept a coax input at this rate.I cannot find this information anywhere on the internet

Toslink AND Coax are both SPdif (Sony Philips Digital InterFace).

The SPdif spec is ONLY upto 24/192. So, your dac will NEVER accept digital signals over coax or toslink that have a higher samplerate then 192Khz.

AND

Most Toslink receivers and transmitters accept samplerates upto 96 Khz. Maybe just look in the specs of your dac if it is supposed to work on 24/192 on toslink.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #642 of 3,700

The SPdif spec is ONLY upto 24/192. So, your dac will NEVER accept digital signals over coax or toslink that have a higher samplerate then 192Khz.

AND

Most Toslink receivers and transmitters accept samplerates upto 96 Khz. Maybe just look in the specs of your dac if it is supposed to work on 24/192 on toslink.

Chord Hugo TT is said to accept 384kHz/32-bit via BNC input.  I am not sure whether it is still called S/PDIF.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #644 of 3,700

AND

Yes,but here the specs for the chord hugo mobile
Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
RCA coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable
Are they referring to a non Spdif coax connection?who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back