Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 11, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #616 of 3,700
  "yes, I've tried with a cable without 5v and it doesn't work. Someone took the transformer and ac parts out and said it no longer needed the 5v from usb cable. think it operates the relay, so if the relay isn't there then maybe that's why. Someone also said xmos chip requires 5v to switch on, not sure about that or whether the usb 5v would be the supply for this."

Ok, thank you for confirming! I was wondering because when connecting U12 to USB source, it immediately switches on, even if its connected to 5V USB power adapter.
Thats a pitty because we can't make a decent cable without power, so polluted 5V from pc will still influence USB signal in cable (interference).

Now i really have to buy the Elfidelity USB card for proper clean usb 5V signal 
wink_face.gif

+1 a report on that on Elfidelity USB card and the U12 in terms of compatiblity and SQ would be great

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #617 of 3,700
Right now running USB into the U12->COAX and optical into the DI->BNC. Getting the best of both worlds, both slightly eclipsing Gungnir's respective inputs :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #618 of 3,700
Hi, I have a Gustard U12, and this past weekend tried bypassing the relay with a wire soldered between the legs.  It worked in that the Gustard powered up without 5 volt power with the bypass installed.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't play without 5 volt power.

My solution was to install an Aqvox USB connector which takes 5 volt power from an external source as substitute for the dirty power from the host computer.  One leg of a Keces power supply supplies the 5v power.

It sounds great!  

FYI, Aqvox will sell the cable without the linear power supply, if like me, you have one already.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #619 of 3,700

Well we had a few side track comments here about PC filtering and DACs - so to keep this thread pure - I'm just directing those conversations to those appropriate threads.  It's great information like the ElFidelity stuff - just not for this thread (aside from the USB card info).

Have you read the thread?

Why does it bother you?

Send you a pm. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #620 of 3,700
Hello, I received my gustard u12 this morning and i have been really enjoying the sound it creates with my hugo via coaxial.
Would like to ask you some questions,hope you can answer me and that they are of general interest:
Does the coaxial output support a 384 kHz stream?I am able to make the led of the gustard to show this rate , but the hugo does not show any light or sound,almost like the data cannot pass in the cable i'm using(20 $ cable)

Does the toslink output support a 192 kHz data signal?Cause the hugo can get that sample rate as an input and also by other devices, but I am only able to stream a 96kHz signal(problably because I am using a really cheap cable,as I read on another forum)

Thank you very much

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #621 of 3,700
  Hi, I have a Gustard U12, and this past weekend tried bypassing the relay with a wire soldered between the legs.  It worked in that the Gustard powered up without 5 volt power with the bypass installed.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't play without 5 volt power.

My solution was to install an Aqvox USB connector which takes 5 volt power from an external source as substitute for the dirty power from the host computer.  One leg of a Keces power supply supplies the 5v power.

It sounds great!  

FYI, Aqvox will sell the cable without the linear power supply, if like me, you have one already.

+1 I just sold my Aqvox's I used with my Musiland USB 3.0's  Should have kept them.  I will order the cable only tomorrow - thanks for the tip!

beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #622 of 3,700

+1 I just sold my Aqvox's I used with my Musiland USB 3.0's  Should have kept them.  I will order the cable only tomorrow - thanks for the tip!

beerchug.gif

I wonder how the Aqvox compares to the Schiit Wyrd?    I was playing with my Wyrd more today and I can hear a difference with my Total Bithead amp/dac which is USB powered.  It actually clears a slight hum and some static at high volumes up entirely.  I'm sure the difference on something not entirely USB powered would be less noticeable but - it does seem to do it's job. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #623 of 3,700

I wonder how the Aqvox compares to the Schiit Wyrd?    I was playing with my Wyrd more today and I can hear a difference with my Total Bithead amp/dac which is USB powered.  It actually clears a slight hum and some static at high volumes up entirely.  I'm sure the difference on something not entirely USB powered would be less noticeable but - it does seem to do it's job. 

The Aqvox is a neat little unit.  Linear PS that replaces the power feed from the PC using a special adapter.  They're not cheap though.

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #624 of 3,700
I have contacted Gustard via their selling point at Taobao today. Gustard claim the U12's USB voltage input is only for control power on/off, and there should be no effect on musical replay.

Due to separate power supplies, they also claim 'U12 + X12' outperform X12 with built in XMOS board.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #625 of 3,700
"Gustard claim the U12's USB voltage input is only for control power on/off, and there should be no effect on musical replay".

That is great news... I just hooked-up an iUSB Power to my U12 USB in, but have not checked yet if any difference.

This TeraDak PS has a 9V* and 5V output, and includes a USB injector cable that is not shown on the website (I bought 2 recently)
(*the main output voltage needs be set by TeraDak)
http://www.teradak.com/products/46.html

I was using one of these in front of a W4S uLink and I think it was a good improvement over the USB alone.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #626 of 3,700
  I have contacted Gustard via their selling point at Taobao today. Gustard claim the U12's USB voltage input is only for control power on/off, and there should be no effect on musical replay.

Due to separate power supplies, they also claim 'U12 + X12' outperform X12 with built in XMOS board.

Welcome hgpsemaj !
Did you by chance get any clue about a new Gustard flagship DAC ?

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #629 of 3,700

Well we had a few side track comments here about PC filtering and DACs - so to keep this thread pure - I'm just directing those conversations to those appropriate threads.  It's great information like the ElFidelity stuff - just not for this thread (aside from the USB card info).

Have you read the thread?

Why does it bother you?

+1 It's just to keep on topic, nothing wrong with it 
popcorn.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #630 of 3,700

+1 a report on that on Elfidelity USB card and the U12 in terms of compatiblity and SQ would be great

I still have to order them, will do so next month, did buy tooooo much already this month 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back