Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,331 of 3,700
I need to go to ddc's anonymous...
I just ordered the pro3a... Also their USB i2s module (DIY version)
Also breeze du-u8
Also the audio-gd diu8
Have a super modded out gustard u12
Which I got three diff ultra low noise 5v regulators in order... One I'm using... The new class d dexa, also ordered the acko Dac's newest 1uv model... And that other one I mentioned and forgot the name already. Starts with a. b.
Meh...
I ordered 2 pairs of crystek 957's. Two pairs of crystek 575's, lots of dip socket boards and crystal adapters dip14, and some bypass caps for them. Hmm

What else...
Oh, just got myself some hd800's today too. I don't even like them. But want them to compare to my hex. I plan to mod the crap out of the hd800's to get them to sound better. Stock... I hate em.
But the hex is awesome

I have a lot of DDC projects ahead of me. And will do a shootout between them all

The breeze will get 957's.
The diu8 will get three diff xmos boards, one with stock Hosonic clocks, one with 575's and one with 957's if I can pull it off
The pro3a likely won't need anything because i truly think it's spec is impressive as is! And best bang for buck, but I haven't listened to them all yet! Just a hunch.

Mastercard says Thank You.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,332 of 3,700
  will you be able to test the breeze stock vs pro3a stock.
Im wary about the breeze unit. I bought a tpa3116 breeze amp and thought it sounded terrible.
Would love to know breeze vs pro3a. RB2013, you didnt follow up for how good the pro3a is compared to the breeze. is the breeze is smoother and the pro3a maybe more accurate more detailed?

Yes the Breeze is smoother and a tad richer - but the DXIO with a great USB cable and linear power supply - just so much transparency and clarity.  Like veils have been....

The PUC2 Lite is coming in on Friday (thanks friend!) - may not be able to test until Monday.  So we'll see.  Can the sound get any better???  I have to reason that it must hit a point of diminishing returns.  Not so far - it's been exponential.

Fun with Jitterbugs - I received my third tonight.  So this is the deal - modded one by clipping the power legs so it becomes a VBUS +5VDC blocker as well - no PC USB power past it.  That is the one I have the data leg plugged into of the 2G.  The second does the same in my office system.  Then today I tried plugging a second unmodded JB into an empty USB port on the main system.  Unbelievable - you can hear the bass deepen further still - and the tone richen.  Live while the music is playing.  Unplugged the second JB - reverse.  Repeated 4-5 times - it's real and really nice!  This by plugging into a free USB port  - no cable attached.  Spooky stuff this PC audio thing.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #3,334 of 3,700
.....    That was before the addition of the Cerious Graphene power cord - that has really made an improvement in the DU-U8 sound.  Greater detail and even smoother now - even at extreme vol levels on the very picky Maggies.  The Cerious is fully broken in and sounding just great ...

Hi !  when i read about power cords making a difference i think that there must be some issues in the power supply stage, usually not enough filtering of mains noise.
The power cord should be acting as a filter with its capacitance in the end.
Are your mains noisy ?  have you tried mains filters ?  have you experienced better sound during night ?
Thanks a lot for the very informative comments and advice.
Kind regards,  gino

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #3,335 of 3,700
Spent 15 min searching for drivers. its at the product page. bit of confusing to click the driver page order page.

jplay seems to be lagging. need to retune the buffer.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #3,336 of 3,700
This unit surprise me. For a unit so small, it punches above its weight class. dont be fooled by the size.

its quite revealing and neutral. the musical transparency is first class. what I am left to do is another power supply LT3042 my current LT3042 for the PPA OCXO clock runs out of gas to power this little chap.

Further impression after swapping LT3042 to DXIO while OCXO is powered by the HDPLEX.

now my MSB Analog sounds like another level up, very analog feel. this units beats the stock USB2 384. as I do not have USB QUAD rate, would love to hear if another can compare it. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3,337 of 3,700
I tried a few on the Breeze and the Cerious Graphene Xtreme are stupendous.  Bettered the stock by miles, beat my next best - the Synergistic Research X2 Ref by a good measure.  They're not cheap - bought mine on a Black Friday Audiogon special for $250 - reg $500.  This is their newest design

I have tried 3 cords with the breeze. And one of them makes it more transparent, gives it better soundstaging and deeper bass as well. And that very well made cable is the cheapest oh the 3, under 100$ on ebay. Works well with power amps and pre as well. I like not paying too much. It is not always a matter of spending more rather a matter of optimizing sinergy sometimes.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #3,338 of 3,700
This unit surprise me. For a unit so small, it punches above its weight class. dont be fooled by the size....

Hi ! sorry but are you talking about the Gustard U12 USB or the Breeze ?  
rolleyes.gif

I am getting confused because there are now comments on 2 o 3 different converters in this topic.  
confused.gif

It would be nice to state at the beginning of the post which converter is reviewed.  For the sake of a good understanding.
redface.gif

Thanks a lot for the very interesting comment.  I have a U12 as well.
L3000.gif

Kind regards,  gino
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #3,339 of 3,700
I have tried 3 cords with the breeze. And one of them makes it more transparent, gives it better soundstaging and deeper bass as well. And that very well made cable is the cheapest oh the 3, under 100$ on ebay. Works well with power amps and pre as well. I like not paying too much. It is not always a matter of spending more rather a matter of optimizing sinergy sometimes.

And one thing i found yesterday it that it is quite significant an improvement to plug the computer through some sort of digital filter so that it does not contaminate the rest of the chain. All my audio components are connected through a basic power bar with some paasive filtering not using any discrete component, so it does not affect dynamics. The computer is plugged to an APC h15 on the digital filter bank.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,340 of 3,700
Seconded. Jitterbugs are awesome! And they are the two small reasons I ended up selling my Regen:)

I still use one Regen/LPs on my office system - but in the main system it actually made the sound worse.  Not the case with the Jitterbugs - they improved both systems. 

Hi !  when i read about power cords making a difference i think that there must be some issues in the power supply stage, usually not enough filtering of mains noise.
The power cord should be acting as a filter with its capacitance in the end.
Are your mains noisy ?  have you tried mains filters ?  have you experienced better sound during night ?
Thanks a lot for the very informative comments and advice.
Kind regards,  gino

Hi Gino,  I guess you've not been keeping up with this forum.  As I have posted - I use a dedicated AC line filter on the DDC - and another on the DAC - and soon a third separate on the PC's.  The ones I use are the excellent and low cost Art Audio PB4X4 Pro - the 'Pro' version uses both common mode and differential mode ps filtering.  I rolled through a half dozen power cables - including a very nice Silver/Rhodium and SR X2 Active.  Trust me the Cerious Graphene Xtreme is in a whole other league.  Don't try and play 'Audio Engineer' to figure out why - there are too many variables at play - I could list at least 6.  But the most important is surface eddy effects from current/dielectric interaction.   The technology in these Cerious Graphene cables is cutting edge.  Never heard a cable sound so good cold right out of the box.

Presenting the 4x4 PRO SERIES Power Distribution Systems from ART. Built on the foundation of the popular 4x4s, the PRO SERIES are durably constructed, reliable power conditioners for use in many applications. Wherever power management system is required, the 4x4 PRO SERIES provide the surge protection you need to keep your rack safe from unwanted disruption.
All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.
Every PRO SERIES power conditioner is designed with a power capacity of 1800 Watts, surge/spike protection, APF with EMI & RFI filtering, front-mounted unswitched power outlet and an adjustable rear-mounted gooseneck light source for bright illumination behind the rack. The spacing and alignment of the rear outlets to accommodate various size power plugs and AC adapters.

Spent 15 min searching for drivers. its at the product page. bit of confusing to click the driver page order page.

jplay seems to be lagging. need to retune the buffer.

The DXIO and JPlay do not play well together.  I just run the ASIO - prefer it to KS.

This unit surprise me. For a unit so small, it punches above its weight class. dont be fooled by the size.

its quite revealing and neutral. the musical transparency is first class. what I am left to do is another power supply LT3042 my current LT3042 for the PPA OCXO clock runs out of gas to power this little chap.

Further impression after swapping LT3042 to DXIO while OCXO is powered by the HDPLEX.

now my MSB Analog sounds like another level up, very analog feel. this units beats the stock USB2 384. as I do not have USB QUAD rate, would love to hear if another can compare it. 

Give it a hundred hours it will get better - much better.  As the clocks burn in.

At this point I just chuck the stock cord - and go right for some generic silver rhodium plugs cable I have around - they were around $80 from a guy in England I bought on Audiogon.  They're called 'Silver High Breed'.   But the Cerious is at a whole other level - the best I have owned.  And I have had the crazy expensive Nordost Valhalla and Synergistic Research Tesla Apex.   For the money the Cerious are a steal.

And one thing i found yesterday it that it is quite significant an improvement to plug the computer through some sort of digital filter so that it does not contaminate the rest of the chain. All my audio components are connected through a basic power bar with some paasive filtering not using any discrete component, so it does not affect dynamics. The computer is plugged to an APC h15 on the digital filter bank.

Will soon have separate PB4X4 Pro's for each PC.  Did replace the PC server PS with very low ripple fanless SMPS a while ago.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,341 of 3,700
OK Nerd hat on...

Here is some of the technology in these amazing Cerious Graphene Xtreme cables
 For sale today is one 5 foot long Graphene Extreme power cable optimized for low current detail. Each GE jacket is filled with damping materials to eliminate vibrations. The RED power cables use finer ceramics to address smaller micro vibrations of lower current levels. Each RED PC uses a Gold Plated connector which works better at lower current levels (our listening test exposed this…). We offer a 100% money back guarantee and a liberal trade in policy if you are a previous Cerious Technologies client. You may be surprised how affordable it is to upgrade to the Graphene Extreme. So what do you get with the Graphene Extreme? More quiet and detail. Who doesn’t want that?
Our goal of creating the most sonically transparent cables ever created has been brought to a new level. First let me say we continue to be very proud of the Nano Signature, as it was sonically outstanding. The Graphene Extreme takes the concepts of the Nano to whole other levels. While other "wire" companies utilize bigger gauge conductors as the line increases in price to justify the increased cost, Cerious Technologies works at the molecular level getting the conductor closer to an ideal conductor.
Each Graphene Extreme conductor employs five elements –
• Copper
• Silver
• Carbon Fiber
• Liquid Ceramic
• Graphene sub-Nano particles of our own manufacture.
Each of these elements brings a unique characteristic to the table. Designers have long understood that multiple fine gauges of wire offers improved high frequency sonics. Limited to wire based cables you may be able to fit 37 strands into a conductor. Each Graphene Extreme power conductor has over 128,000 strands! The key element is tying all these components into one coherent conductor. This is what separates the Graphene Extreme from the Nano Signature. Sub-Nano particles of carbon are suspended in our proprietary Liquid Ceramic and saturated into the conductor bundle. The Teflon tube is then shrunk to compress these particles into every gap between components forming one solid coherent conductor.
What does this get you sonically? We all are attracted to the purity and coherence of single driver loudspeakers, but are frustrated by their inherent limitations. Multi-driver loudspeakers get you everything else but lose the magic. The same applies to cables. The closer you get to a conductor that acts as one single conductor the more transparent it becomes. Solid core cables have exposed this but are limited the same way single driver loudspeakers are. The Graphene Extreme gets closer to the behavior of a single conductor than any other cable ever produced. The sonics achieved are complete and utter transparency. It simply is not there. Isn’t that what we want in a cable

Cerious Technology on Hot - Neutral -Ground in the Graphene Xtreme Power Cables:
Neutral. Hot Ground. Can we take a second to actually explain what these mean? Ground is simple - it runs to a stake in the ground and is there for safety.  Now Neutral is a little more tricky. While many tell you the Swiss invented Neutral we must understand that voltage is the potential difference between two points. Huh? 

Say one terminal is at +20V and the other is at -50V.  The actual circuit  between these two terminals is at +30V.  Our Neutral always stays at zero (0) Volts.  Now our hot, on the other hand, has to swing like crazy from -120V to +120V 60 times a second.

Clearly, the Neutral and Hot have very different functions, so why is it thought that each of these should be the same with regard to the actual conductors?  Shouldn't each one be optimized for its specific task?  Press [1] now for Yes.

Graphene Extreme power cables utilize Cerious Technologies proprietary asymmetric drive topology, which optimizes each conductor for the task it must perform.  Neutral - massive, rock steady. Hot - Nimble, responsive, and very low energy storage.

Each Graphene Extreme power cable offers 5 elements GE Conductors enclosed in a reactive ceramic damped jacket.  High (Blue) and low (Red) current optimized versions are available.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3,342 of 3,700
Hi Gino,  I guess you've not been keeping up with this forum.  

Hi !  i confess 
redface.gif
 i got a little lost with all this mixing converters and i pause the reading
blink.gif

I am not at all against mods and comparisons but it is difficult to follow a thread with discussions on 3 different converters with people jumping from one to another. 
confused_face(1).gif

It would be better to create a general thread about comparisons of different converters maybe ?

As I have posted - I use a dedicated AC line filter on the DDC - and another on the DAC - and soon a third separate on the PC's.  The ones I use are the excellent and low cost Art Audio PB4X4 Pro - the 'Pro' version uses both common mode and differential mode ps filtering.   I rolled through a half dozen power cables - including a very nice Silver/Rhodium and SR X2 Active.  Trust me the Cerious Graphene Xtreme is in a whole other league.  
Don't try and play 'Audio Engineer' to figure out why - there are too many variables at play - I could list at least 6.   But the most important is surface eddy effects from current/dielectric interaction.   
The technology in these Cerious Graphene cables is cutting edge.  Never heard a cable sound so good cold right out of the box. 

Interesting cables indeed.  I believe completely about the impact of power cables on these cheap converters. I have to try something for sure. 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot,  gino  
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3,343 of 3,700
  I still use one Regen/LPs on my office system - but in the main system it actually made the sound worse.  Not the case with the Jitterbugs - they improved both systems. 

Hi Gino,  I guess you've not been keeping up with this forum.  As I have posted - I use a dedicated AC line filter on the DDC - and another on the DAC - and soon a third separate on the PC's.  The ones I use are the excellent and low cost Art Audio PB4X4 Pro - the 'Pro' version uses both common mode and differential mode ps filtering.  I rolled through a half dozen power cables - including a very nice Silver/Rhodium and SR X2 Active.  Trust me the Cerious Graphene Xtreme is in a whole other league.  Don't try and play 'Audio Engineer' to figure out why - there are too many variables at play - I could list at least 6.  But the most important is surface eddy effects from current/dielectric interaction.   The technology in these Cerious Graphene cables is cutting edge.  Never heard a cable sound so good cold right out of the box.

The DXIO and JPlay do not play well together.  I just run the ASIO - prefer it to KS.

Give it a hundred hours it will get better - much better.  As the clocks burn in.

At this point I just chuck the stock cord - and go right for some generic silver rhodium plugs cable I have around - they were around $80 from a guy in England I bought on Audiogon.  They're called 'Silver High Breed'.   But the Cerious is at a whole other level - the best I have owned.  And I have had the crazy expensive Nordost Valhalla and Synergistic Research Tesla Apex.   For the money the Cerious are a steal.

Will soon have separate PB4X4 Pro's for each PC.  Did replace the PC server PS with very low ripple fanless SMPS a while ago.

Is the Cerious still available? Looked for it at some point but did not find any offer.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,344 of 3,700

Hi !  i confess 
redface.gif
 i got a little lost with all this mixing converters and i pause the reading
blink.gif

I am not at all against mods and comparisons but it is difficult to follow a thread with discussions on 3 different converters with people jumping from one to another. 
confused_face(1).gif

It would be better to create a general thread about comparisons of different converters maybe ?

Interesting cables indeed.  I believe completely about the impact of power cables on these cheap converters. I have to try something for sure. 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot,  gino  
biggrin.gif

I have been meaning to do a grand USB bridge shootout thread - compiling all this info.  But then a better one comes along and it resets the bar.  Now at Olympian levels.  I'm still trying to get my mind around how good the DXIO/TeraDAK DC30/Cerious GE/Lightspeed 2G is. 

Last night put on The Who's - 'Who's Next'. Just a redbook file - from a 44 yr old recording (this was recorded in '71).  Have heard this album 100's of times at least.  Last night - it sounded different.  I mean Hi Res DxD great.  Townsend's guitar had nuanced tones and overdrives I never knew existed.  Kieth Moon's drumming had space and air, but still rock bottom depth like I never heard before.  I was floored.  Like hearing it for the first time.  Thinking about the presentation - there was something else.  The way the images where so life sized and just perfect in tone and pitch - and the sweep of the 12 ft sound stage in my room.  No holes - no empty spots - but not contrived.  Just perfect.  Natural, smooth and musical.  Flow out the yin-yang.  The listen session was an 'Event'.  Wow, what a payoff.  So now this is my new litmus test - can a USB upstream do better?  I'm having to doubt it - but I thought that before.
The caps on the new TeraDak DC-30W (big cap 3300uf) have burnt-in, that and the added 2nd JB - it's really smooth and tonally lush.  But with the greatest detail I have heard yet.

Will recap this TeraDak this weekend with the Pannie FR's.  Maybe it can get better?

Is the Cerious still available? Looked for it at some point but did not find any offer.

Yes, contact them directly.  Just bought the 1.5M Graphene Extreme IC he has listed on Audiogon for $250 - reg $650.  See how that sounds vs the $800 Aural Thrills Tube BCS sliver I have now in the main system.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-cerious-technologies-graphene-extreme-1-5m-rca-interconnect-2016-01-15-cables-85382-peoria-az

Here is their website:
http://www.cerioustechnologies.com/cables/lcHome.html

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,345 of 3,700
  I have been meaning to do a grand USB bridge shootout thread - compiling all this info.  But then a better one comes along and it resets the bar.  Now at Olympian levels. 
I'm still trying to get my mind around how good the DXIO/TeraDAK DC30/Cerious GE/Lightspeed 2G is.   

Thanks a lot again.   I guess the converter in question is this one  here below

Quote:
Last night put on The Who's - 'Who's Next'. Just a redbook file - from a 44 yr old recording (this was recorded in '71).  Have heard this album 100's of times at least. 
Last night - it sounded different.  I mean Hi Res DxD great. 
Townsend's guitar had nuanced tones and overdrives I never knew existed.  Kieth Moon's drumming had space and air, but still rock bottom depth like I never heard before.  I was floored.  Like hearing it for the first time.  Thinking about the presentation - there was something else.  The way the images where so life sized and just perfect in tone and pitch - and the sweep of the 12 ft sound stage in my room.  No holes - no empty spots - but not contrived.  Just perfect.  Natural, smooth and musical.  Flow out the yin-yang.  The listen session was an 'Event'.  Wow, what a payoff.  So now this is my new litmus test - can a USB upstream do better?  I'm having to doubt it - but I thought that before.
The caps on the new TeraDak DC-30W (big cap 3300uf) have burnt-in, that and the added 2nd JB - it's really smooth and tonally lush.  But with the greatest detail I have heard yet.
Will recap this TeraDak this weekend with the Pannie FR's.  Maybe it can get better?

So the sound is really something. I do not understand the Hi Res DxD ?   you mean that the redbook sounds like HiRes DSD ?
Regarding the converter i was thinking to use a AES connection because it is usually quite musical. 
But if it sounds good it must be really good indeed.
Thanks a lot again,  gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back