Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Aug 18, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,221 of 3,700

Thanks!! And thanks for the awesome sale, I will leave feedback.

beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #2,223 of 3,700
Audio Breeze XMOS USB Digital Interface also offers Talema transformer for an additional cost of RMB100.

http://world.taobao.com/item/520991006222.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.5.l9FoDJ&scm=1007.10146.6070.0&id=520991006222&pvid=0a563792-baf2-4d9c-a6a6-c0d30c560f8d

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2,224 of 3,700
  thanks b, which hot air do you recommend?

This is the one I used to solder the XOs about  85-120 $USD on Ebay and other places, model Yihua 8508D+

The air pump is in the main box and is very quiet.

The analog knobs are really nice to use for making quick adjustments, the only thing I did  as a precaution was to replace all the electrolytic caps with long life Nichicon and Rubycons which have a life of between 5000 and 10000 hours@105degC

http://yihua-soldering.com/product-3-3-4-hot-air-rework-station.html/158746

Review with pictures:
http://www.ittsb.eu/YIHUA8508D+%20.html

I would avoid the cheaper ones with the fan built into the handle, they get too hot and this may lead to reliability issues.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,227 of 3,700
  http://www.chipquik.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=440001
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SMDLTLFP/SMDLTLFP-ND/2682721

Chip quik low temp (138 degC) lead free

The last part is very important it has to be lead free as solder paste dries to a fine powder that could be inhaled or swallowed, big danger to kids and pets.

BTW It is either a soldering iron with conventional wire solder or  paste + hot air gun, heating paste with a soldering iron usually makes  a mess

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,228 of 3,700
  Audio Breeze XMOS USB Digital Interface also offers Talema transformer for an additional cost of RMB100.

http://world.taobao.com/item/520991006222.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.5.l9FoDJ&scm=1007.10146.6070.0&id=520991006222&pvid=0a563792-baf2-4d9c-a6a6-c0d30c560f8d

Now you tell me!
wink_face.gif
  Kidding...good to know.  The pins are the same it's not much to swap - but certainly nice to get it that way.

Wish he would offer a Crystek clock upgrade - that's not so easy.

EDIT FYI
Here is the Google translation of the taobao ad:
  1. Using XMOS-U8 core, the latest scheme, up to 32B 384khz asynchronous transfer
  2. Built imported TALEMA sealed cattle, mining with top linear regulator chip, multi-level multi-group independent power supply, better than the market a few hundred dollars XMOS linear power, the whole network only one with such a high-end power XMOS decoding, independent Advantage powered connoisseur knows, even if the external power supply better, circuit design is not fully independent regulator is ineffective
  3. Do the upgrade of the clock circuit optimization, 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 /352.8Khz and 48/96/192 / 384kHz respectively two crystal
  4. Output interface is complete, with all current mainstream interfaces to improve playability
Product materials introduction:

1. Aluminum chassis, metal wire drawing process
  2. PCB is costly to do, immersion gold process
  3. TALEMA seal cow, imported, only high-end machine will be used HIFI (upgrade option)
  4. Interface terminals are also relatively high, the gold-plated USB seat, Rui Shiniu Trek balanced output, Toshiba optical output head, gold-plated RCA, internal wiring (except the indicator line) Teflon silver plated wire
  5. With the top power regulator chip linear regulator, LM2914
  6. Digital isolation cattle imported MuRata DA101C, it is not universally used cottage Pulse
  7. Our custom gilded TCXO TCXO precision 0.1PPM
  8. Filter capacitor for the Panasonic's top audio master XPO series, without much introduction, many European and American crew use, digital decoupling Sanyo solid, AVX tantalum capacitors, the German Red WIMA capacitors, Germany VIS wafer resistance.
  1. Brand: breeze
  2. Name: XMOS Digital Audio system
  3. Origin: China . Foshan
  4. Input into: USB data cable 
  5. Output: coaxial, fiber optic, IIS (RJ45 Ethernet port) , AES / EBU
  6. Bit depth: 16bit 24bit 32bit
  7. Environment: Windows / MAC / part of the mobile device (phone, tablet)
  8. Sampling Rate Support:

• PCM:  44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz (coaxial, fiber optic, AES support only up to 192K, 192K or more transmission requires IIS)
  • DSD: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (2.822, 3.072, 5.644, 6.144, 11.2896 and 12.288MHz ) ( DSDrequires the use of IIS transmission and need DAC support) because each manufacturer's DAC design and other factors, I can not guarantee that you can play DSD, play I2S transmission requires a certain base and ability, novice recommended not toss this

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,229 of 3,700
This is the one I used to solder the XOs about  85-120 $USD on Ebay and other places, model Yihua 8508D+

The air pump is in the main box and is very quiet.

The analog knobs are really nice to use for making quick adjustments, the only thing I did  as a precaution was to replace all the electrolytic caps with long life Nichicon and Rubycons which have a life of between 5000 and 10000 hours@105degC

http://yihua-soldering.com/product-3-3-4-hot-air-rework-station.html/158746

Review with pictures:
http://www.ittsb.eu/YIHUA8508D+%20.html

I would avoid the cheaper ones with the fan built into the handle, they get too hot and this may lead to reliability issues.

It's going to be hard for me to find an excuse not to buy one at that price.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,230 of 3,700
hey RB long time no chat
This thread is out of control -- since I don't know how to search through it's contents I'm going to bring up a topic that was surely covered in here more than once

For me AES has been a tremendous improvement over coax through a long bluejean AES cable.  Where coax has more focus, a bass+midrange hump, and smaller stage, the AES has been exceptionally balanced top to bottom, with a wider stage that's probably due to it's superior high freq response.

In the winter my friend got the Gustard X12 DAC.  He's been rolling all kinds of expensive short spdif cables.  A couple weeks back he connected the two Gustards with a $300 HDMI cable and difference was very much like what I experienced when I switched to AES.  I tried using a skinny XLR interconnect cable as AES on his system but there was no magic.  I doubt a decent AES cable could hold a candle to the sound he was getting from that HDMI cable.  I suspect that AES might have the single advantage of being suited for longer runs.

My Yulong D18 doesn't have an I2S input.  My next audio room will have one system on the short wall, and another on the long wall, and they will share one computer+U12.  I'll get an I2S DAC that will be a short run to the U12 and my AES DAC will have the long run to the U12.  In the center of it all will be a swivel chair with a low back.

Can anyone recommend an I2S DAC for my U12?  The X12 is a plenty affordable ESS 9018 DAC.  It's hard to beat at that price.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #2,231 of 3,700
the x12 is a sweet spot for the i2s. i miss it atm (sold mine...bad idea). with a decent bridge, the i2s via hdmi is superlative. the wyred 4 sound dac 2 (used) is desirable because of its analog out plus the i2s, which they state is the best way to go re their dac. the new gustard x20 looks to offer 'more' of the x12 goodness... i'm kinda in the same boat atm, re i2s dac.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,232 of 3,700
  hey RB long time no chat
This thread is out of control -- since I don't know how to search through it's contents I'm going to bring up a topic that was surely covered in here more than once

For me AES has been a tremendous improvement over coax through a long bluejean AES cable.  Where coax has more focus, a bass+midrange hump, and smaller stage, the AES has been exceptionally balanced top to bottom, with a wider stage that's probably due to it's superior high freq response.

In the winter my friend got the Gustard X12 DAC.  He's been rolling all kinds of expensive short spdif cables.  A couple weeks back he connected the two Gustards with a $300 HDMI cable and difference was very much like what I experienced when I switched to AES.  I tried using a skinny XLR interconnect cable as AES on his system but there was no magic.  I doubt a decent AES cable could hold a candle to the sound he was getting from that HDMI cable.  I suspect that AES might have the single advantage of being suited for longer runs.

My Yulong D18 doesn't have an I2S input.  My next audio room will have one system on the short wall, and another on the long wall, and they will share one computer+U12.  I'll get an I2S DAC that will be a short run to the U12 and my AES DAC will have the long run to the U12.  In the center of it all will be a swivel chair with a low back.

Can anyone recommend an I2S DAC for my U12?  The X12 is a plenty affordable ESS 9018 DAC.  It's hard to beat at that price.

Well I'm a R2R DAC guy and the ESS9018 DACs I've had were not to my taste.  A bit dry and lacking in tone.  I'm also a tube DAC fan - so my APL and heavily modded DAC60 are serving me well.  Rich, natural tone to die for.

Now I have rolled 6 or 7 spdif coax cables and they all sound different - some better then others.  So after that experimentation I found one that is just killer good. Beating the totl $600 Synergistic Research Tesla active - at 1/3 of the price.  AES is based on the spdif protocal but with a higher signal current for long runs.  For me the X12 or the upcoming X20 are not on the list of contenders - but might be the ticket for some.  You could check out the Audio-gd DACs - I hear they are very good (I'd be partial to the R2R PCM1704 versions). http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

Anyway I'm using the Melodious MX-U8 almost exclusively right now not the Gustard.

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,233 of 3,700
  hey RB long time no chat

I would recommend getting a DAC19 if you're on a budget or go all out and get the Master11. Audio-gd makes extremely good dac/amp's

I've owned both of the above. Also if you must... the sabre dac is good, and I own a NFB28 as well. It's implementation is the best i've heard of any sabre dac.

Either way, I love my Master11 and it's my end game amp/dac. I've ordered it with the 22db gain or +6 option, as well as HDMI i2s to replace rj45 i2s, and screen go dark after 7 sec. 

I'm a big fan of audio-gd as their products are built like a tank and very well thought out. Join the master 11 thread or DAC19 and read up. :D

R2R dac's are the way to go, the sound is sooooo much better. still very detailed yet able to capture the life in music and bring out all the nuances that tell our brains we are listening to a live instrument. Sabre dac's miss a lot of that and sound dry or lifeless in comparison. 

I currently use a gustard U12 (modded for audio-gd i2s) HDMI i2s for my usb transport. I'm torn between that and the onboard amanero combo 384. Both are so darn good. I also tried the USB regen and didn't see any improvement to be outright honest. Maybe my system is already ideally setup. I'm using very good cables and powering everything from pure sinewave from a ps audio ps300 a/c regenerator w/multiwave2 (big improvement). Also a paul pang v3 ocxo pcie usb card in my audio pc.  Some mods made a difference, some don't. I use a supra usb cable and found it to be the best of anything i've tried. 

Check out audio-gd and you'll be surprised how much you get for you're money. Don't be fooled by the poor english translations. The quality of the product is insanely good and well built. They have a 10year warranty too. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,234 of 3,700
  I would recommend getting a DAC19 if you're on a budget or go all out and get the Master11. Audio-gd makes extremely good dac/amp's

I've owned both of the above. Also if you must... the sabre dac is good, and I own a NFB28 as well. It's implementation is the best i've heard of any sabre dac.

Either way, I love my Master11 and it's my end game amp/dac. I've ordered it with the 22db gain or +6 option, as well as HDMI i2s to replace rj45 i2s, and screen go dark after 7 sec. 

I'm a big fan of audio-gd as their products are built like a tank and very well thought out. Join the master 11 thread or DAC19 and read up. :D

R2R dac's are the way to go, the sound is sooooo much better. still very detailed yet able to capture the life in music and bring out all the nuances that tell our brains we are listening to a live instrument. Sabre dac's miss a lot of that and sound dry or lifeless in comparison. 

I currently use a gustard U12 (modded for audio-gd i2s) HDMI i2s for my usb transport. I'm torn between that and the onboard amanero combo 384. Both are so darn good. I also tried the USB regen and didn't see any improvement to be outright honest. Maybe my system is already ideally setup. I'm using very good cables and powering everything from pure sinewave from a ps audio ps300 a/c regenerator w/multiwave2 (big improvement). Also a paul pang v3 ocxo pcie usb card in my audio pc.  Some mods made a difference, some don't. I use a supra usb cable and found it to be the best of anything i've tried. 

Check out audio-gd and you'll be surprised how much you get for you're money. Don't be fooled by the poor english translations. The quality of the product is insanely good and well built. They have a 10year warranty too. 

With you on the R2R thing.

Wynnytsky you could also checkout the Master 7.1 uses the R2R PCM1704 - 8 of them and has the hdmi input you're looking for.  $2295 plus shipping.
This DAC has won many positive reviews.

Also the LITE DAC83 - PCM1704 based as well 4 in fact.  Has HDMI input too.  Darko has a very good review on it.
http://cattylink.com/page404.html $1055 plus shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back