GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 26, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #4,906 of 5,554

Ugggh!  

Every indication, however, is that they will take good care of us, after the fact.  
redface.gif

I sent failed  one Single V5 opamp to Burson in Australia  , waiting for almost 1.5 month to get replacement.
Las t week the replacement arrived but WRONG type . they sent me Dual type...
confused_face(1).gif
 , what installed in my HD10 is Single opamp

What's wrong with Burson customer service ? Bad QA/QC, send wrong opamp

I paid return shipping almost same price with Opamp itself

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #4,907 of 5,554
  Does anyone have experience with any headphones that have similar signature to HE-560, but with more bass response, more upper treble, and less upper-mid energy, whether it be dynamic or planar. I am planning to sell my HE-560 for something else and keep using my full boat H10. I was possibly thinking the T1. If anyone has any experience, any advice would be great. I feel my HE-560 with full boat lacks sub-bass and has too much mid-upper energy while treble extension is not greatly heard. Basically, the sparkle/air is toned down when using duals. However, without duals it lacks body...HE-560 is very hard to match :frowning2:

Also, on top of that, looking for something with better soundstage and imaging.

I am happy with the stock H10 driving the HE-500 with Focus pads, the Beyer T90 and the ZMF x Vibro Mk.I. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #4,908 of 5,554

I am happy with the stock H10 driving the HE-500 with Focus pads, the Beyer T90 and the ZMF x Vibro Mk.I. 

Wish I could get a comparison of T90 and HE-560. How is T90 on stock? Bass, balance, treble/air wise. I've heard many things about the piercing treble of T90, and H10 w/ s,duals might be able to tame it to just a right amount.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #4,910 of 5,554
Wish I could get a comparison of T90 and HE-560. How is T90 on stock? Bass, balance, treble/air wise. I've heard many things about the piercing treble of T90, and H10 w/ s,duals might be able to tame it to just a right amount.

I don't find the treble in the T90/H10 combo to be too harsh but my ears are not young either. I have a Sabre based dac and it is not warm so the treble should be a bit sparkly but the H10 may be smoothing it out. Bass is great. Mids are not missing just slightly recessed. It doesn't have the air and soundstage of an HD800 but it is nice none the less.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #4,911 of 5,554

Good morning !  thank you very much for your very interesting advice.
understand from where ? do you have additional information ?
i wonder if a service manual/schematic is available ... i would be curious to look at the schematic.
Do you mean HPs with Z>250 ohm ?  Could you please elaborate a little more the main reasons for this choice ? sorry if you have already said and i miss it.
Thanks a lot again,  gino

There are manufacturer's references online that it has JRC NJM2114 and TI NE5532 op-amps in the audio path.

Also, its previous incarnation, dv-ra 1000hd, was known to be full of budget opamps and some people were upgrading them (not nearly as easy as upgrading H10).

I have to admit, I just assume that headphone amp is built on NE5532, but I could be very wrong. It sounds good, no matter what it is in it.

As for my 'high impedance HP camp' comment...  Let me explain my twisted line of thought...

The way I see it, medium-to-high quality headphones those days fall in one of 2 categories: either high current planars, or high impedance dynamic.
Of course, there are some headphones outside of those camps, like electrostatics, or those Fostex 600/900, but they are in minority, often with their own peculiarities.

Given that I strive for a very neutral sound with high transparency (and willing to sacrifice some other parameters, like lush bass or really filled out mids), it is natural for me to gravitate to a sector of audiophile headphones that is built by companies that have their roots in pro headphones. I am talking about Sennheisser and Beyerdynamic. And pretty much all those headphones are high impedance.

At least, that is my way of rationalizing my irrational choices
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,912 of 5,554
Originally Posted by olek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are manufacturer's references online that it has JRC NJM2114 and TI NE5532 op-amps in the audio path.
Also, its previous incarnation, dv-ra 1000hd, was known to be full of budget opamps and some people were upgrading them (not nearly as easy as upgrading H10).
I have to admit, I just assume that headphone amp is built on NE5532, but I could be very wrong. It sounds good, no matter what it is in it.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very kind and valuable reply
i have nothing in general against op-amps.  One of the best line preamp around, the MBL 6010, uses opamps.  And it is not only good ... is truly excellent.
So maybe it is just a matter of correct design and construction.

As for my 'high impedance HP camp' comment... Let me explain my twisted line of thought...
The way I see it, medium-to-high quality headphones those days fall in one of 2 categories: either high current planars, or high impedance dynamic.
Of course, there are some headphones outside of those camps, like electrostatics, or those Fostex 600/900, but they are in minority, often with their own peculiarities.
Given that I strive for a very neutral sound with high transparency (and willing to sacrifice some other parameters, like lush bass or really filled out mids),
it is natural for me to gravitate to a sector of audiophile headphones that is built by companies that have their roots in pro headphones.
I am talking about Sennheisser and Beyerdynamic. And pretty much all those headphones are high impedance.
At least, that is my way of rationalizing my irrational choices
biggrin.gif

thanks again for the interesting elaboration. 
For me impedance selection is mainly driven by the amp, given that i select the amp 1st of course (not said).
Some amps have a relatively high Z out so they need high Z headphones to work properly.
It is a little like with amp and speakers.  Personally i tend to avoid using a very low Z out amp with a 600 ohm HP.
I am afraid to get a too dry and flat sound.
But with a 30 ohm HP i cannot use a 100 ohm Z out amp for sure .. the bass will be all over my ears ...
confused_face.gif

if my words are confused i have been very clear
wink.gif

Thanks a lot again
Regards,  gino   
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #4,913 of 5,554
Hi everybody,
I own headphones Hifiman HE-400i, amplifier gustard H10 and Asus essence st (with 2xLME49720NA and 1xLM6172IN) as a DAC. I would like improve sound of this group and my first idea is exchange op amps. 

1) Could you recommend me second or third best of combination of op amps for H10. Burson V5 or OPA627 seem to me too expensive. 
I read about these combinations:
- AD797ANZ/BRZ with AD823NA
- AD797ANZ/BRZ with LME49720HA
- AD797BRZ with LT1364
- AD797BRZ with LT1489 (mouser.com and farell.com don't offer LT1489, I am from Czech republic (Europe))
You can suggest an another combination.

2) Will you suggest change op amps in sound card asus essence st too, if yes which? I don't know, if anybody has experience with this card or combination with H10.

3) Have you used LME49720HA with a heatsink and have you put LME49720HA directly to DIP8? I will be pleased for any recommendation.

4) I read that most of you prefer AD797BRZ instead AD797ANZ. Is the difference easily recognizable? 
I have a bad experience with fake op amps, which I bought on ebay and my skill with solder is weak. Thats reason why I would prefer AD797ANZ (DIP8).

I will be glad for every reaction
gs1000.gif

I am sorry for my bad english.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4,914 of 5,554
Hi everybody,

I own headphones Hifiman HE-400i, amplifier gustard H10 and Asus essence st (with 2xLME49720NA and 1xLM6172IN) as a DAC. I would like improve sound of this group and my first idea is exchange op amps. 

1) Could you recommend me second or third best of combination of op amps for H10. Burson V5 or OPA627 seem to me too expensive. 
I read about these combinations:

- AD797ANZ/BRZ with AD823NA

- AD797ANZ/BRZ with LME49720HA

- AD797BRZ with LT1364

- AD797BRZ with LT1489 (mouser.com and farell.com don't offer LT1489, I am from Czech republic (Europe))

You can suggest an another combination.

2) Will you suggest change op amps in sound card asus essence st too, if yes which? I don't know, if anybody has experience with this card or combination with H10.

3) Have you used LME49720HA with a heatsink and have you put LME49720HA directly to DIP8? I will be pleased for any recommendation.

4) I read that most of you prefer AD797BRZ instead AD797ANZ. Is the difference easily recognizable? 

I have a bad experience with fake op amps, which I bought on ebay and my skill with solder is weak. Thats reason why I would prefer AD797ANZ (DIP8).

I will be glad for every reaction :gs1000smile: .

I am sorry for my bad english.

Thanks
I went with the 797brz/823
http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=2030
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Analog-Devices%2fAD823ARZ%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMv9Q1JI0Mo%2ftXvK0A80O21a
They have a smoother bass and more air in the treble over stock slightly better soundstage and transparency too. IMO that is.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,915 of 5,554
I went with the 797brz/823
http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=2030
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Analog-Devices%2fAD823ARZ%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMv9Q1JI0Mo%2ftXvK0A80O21a
They have a smoother bass and more air in the treble over stock slightly better soundstage and transparency too. IMO that is.

Similar to the configurations in your post, I have tried the following:

- AD797ANZ with AD823NA

- AD797ANZ with LME49720HA

- AD797ANZ with LT1364

I think I can rank these configurations as follows: 

AD797ANZ with LME49720HA >= AD797ANZ with LT1364 > AD797ANZ with AD823NA

The first two are close. However, for my lower Z headphones (I do not have HE-400i, but I have Philips X2, HD650, and K7XX), AD797ANZ can be easily eclipsed by better single channel opamps such Burson's single or even opa627

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #4,916 of 5,554
Thank you Kozic and wwmhf for answer
smile_phones.gif

I finally succumbed and I ordered V5 single
darthsmile.gif
. The price of V5 singles is not too much different from OPA627BP. 

Now I have a problem, which duals should I  chose for combination with Burson V5 singles?
- LME49720HA
- LT1364

I don't want to spend money for V5 duals and OPA627, I am surprised, that I ordered V5 singles.

I will be glad for every reaction.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,917 of 5,554
I just received an H10. It sounds really great with my Spirit Labs (Franken-Grado) 32 ohm phones. Very clear and dynamic.

One issue. It has some pretty pronounced transformer hum coming from the case.

The audio output is extremely clean/black with no hum but I can easily hear the case hum from several feet away.

Is this common with the Gustard?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #4,919 of 5,554
  I just received an H10. It sounds really great with my Spirit Labs (Franken-Grado) 32 ohm phones. Very clear and dynamic.

One issue. It has some pretty pronounced transformer hum coming from the case.

The audio output is extremely clean/black with no hum but I can easily hear the case hum from several feet away.

Is this common with the Gustard?

Thanks!

If I remember it correctly, you seem to be the first one to report this kind of minor issue here. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #4,920 of 5,554
Glad to hear that it is not common.

Do you know the difference between major and minor surgery?

It's minor when someone else has it.

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back