Gun-Fi
Oct 12, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #482 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by lst002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just like to put up a fight (after all, I'm a boxer).

A boxer who spends his time complaining on a forum (immature name-calling included)? Chill out man.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #483 of 1,732
1. i already asked that you keep such posts out of my thread.. post is being reported
2. ban evasion is a big no-no everywhere else... i doubt head-fi is any different
3. i'm assuming your name is random letter and numbers but LST is a designation of a military ship here's a pic of LST-325 in Normandy in 1944... here is it in it's current home... a 5 minute drive from my house

oh and where are my manners...
forgot to post this
1945_Izhevsk_M44_lam.jpg

1945 Izhevsk M44 laminate stock

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #484 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Service pistols in steel and rubber.

[*]Ceska Zbrojovka CZ 75 SP-01 in 9x19

Little review please, Marvin. I've been eying a few different CZ's for a while now (I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread). I've can't find them local. Keep in mind, I have a small hand.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #485 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little review please, Marvin. I've been eying a few different CZ's for a while now (I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread). I've can't find them local. Keep in mind, I have a small hand.

Also smallish hands with stubby fingers here. It's really one of the nastier consequences of being 5'6". Being shortish never bothered me, but having smaller hands have denied me joys of double stack Sigs.
mad.gif

As for what I think of it? I'm really liking it. I easily prefer it to all of the full-size polymer pistols I've owned (G17, M&P9, XD9, USP9). Against the Hi-Power... It's much closer with the CZ edging out the Hi-Power. If I knew before what I knew now though, I'd have skipped the SP-01 and found a CZ 75 Compact .40 S&W.

Here's my findings in pro/con style.

Pros:

Very low recoil with minimal muzzle flip: High mass, good mass distribution, and low bore axis is a very good combination.

Cocked and locked is an option: Just in case you don't like the DA/SA transition. With the hammer design and the halfcock notch, decocking a safety equipped version is still safe and easy.

Inexpensive: Mine ran me $450 NIB with tritium night sights, two 18 round mags, cleaning tools, and a couple of snap caps.

Short trigger reset: No, it's not a 1911. But, it's on par with the best non-1911 designs. (Glock, S&W 3rd generation) I haven't tried Sig's new SRT style though.

Good accuracy: For a production duty style gun. Slide to barrel lockup is very good, and slide to frame is better than the polymer wonders. Practical accuracy is also easy to obtain due to low recoil, good sights, and decent trigger.

Ergonomics: Definitely a personal thing, but recontoured trigger and backstrap are big improvements on the CZ 75, especially for people with small hands. The checkered rubber grips are great.

Cons:

Looks: Functionally ugly. The dustcover rail makes it look a bit bulbous, polycoat is one of the uglier finishes, there are obvious machining marks throughout the pistol's interior, etc.

Weight: It is an all steel pistol. 42 oz when unloaded is fairly hefty.

Safety: Taking the safety off one handed is easy. Putting it back on one handed is next to impossible. The extended 1911 style is superior.

Balance: The CZ-75 has near perfect weight balance for me. The SP-01 is a bit nose heavy due to the rail. This is a tradeoff for muzzle flip.

???:

The trigger pull falls under both categories. CZ triggers are hit and miss. Many will have initial trigger grittiness due to a lack of finishing. A bit of grease and a lot of dry firing will fix this. After it smooths out, the trigger is a good DA/SA one, an excellent short, positive reset. Weight is a bit high when stock, mine breaks at 12 lbs DA/6 lbs SA.

DA, even at halfcock, is a long constant weight affair. Perfectly acceptable if you're used to revolvers. SA mode is a three stage affair. There's some pre-travel when you start the trigger pull, then a slight increase in weight as the trigger disengages the firing pin block. After that, the pull stiffens up and gradually increases until the hammer drops. This is due to the undersquare hammer/sear engagement angle on all factory CZs, and you're actually cocking the hammer a bit in SA mode. While it certainly works well enough, it's not the proverbial glass rod break.

Yeah, I'm being a bit tough on the trigger pull, but mainly because it's something CZ could fix with very little effort. Just squaring up the sear/hammer angles and polishing the trigger/sear/hammer group before sending it out would work wonders. Still, it's understandable given the CZ's military origins. Either way, only Sig still makes a better out of the box DA/SA trigger, and not by much.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #487 of 1,732
yes and no... depends on the situation

someone with kids should probably pass on it someone who lives alone in a bad neighborhood could use something like that

i just keep a revolver under the bed in it's holster

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #488 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody think this might be a bad idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV50...mmercial%2Ephp

hahaha, the guy saying "many customers are buying 2, one for each side of the bed" cracked me up so hard. That's so awesome!

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #489 of 1,732
.243AI: Fire formed brass has toured all the "stations of the cross", the normal weight cases are neck uniformed, and sixteen rounds of the heavy sorted culls are loaded with incrementally increasing charges of Varget in front of Federal Match Large Rifle primers and behind 70 grain Sierra BlitzKings set 0.015" off the lands of my rifle.

Although the Varget is fairly temperature neutral, I've got to get the pressure testing done before weather turns cold. The .243 Ackley Improved has fairly straight sides and sharp shoulder, so pressure signs appear more gradually. I'll work up the loads until bolt turn gets harder on ectraction or primers flatten and crater. If obvious case changes don't show high pressure within the range of these charges, I will mike the fired cases when cooled back in the shop to see if there is 0.001 expansion before trying any higher charges than these. One grain lower charge than what showed overpressure in the normal weight cases should do it. I only chronograph after pressure testing so that I am not driven to over pressure loads by the "speedometer".
wink.gif

.357RemMag: For some perverse reason, I want the close prairie dogs to be realistic challenges and not just "low hanging fruit". My original attempt at this goal, the Savage Striker in .22-250Rem proved accurate beyond 325 yards and is therefore not the answer. So I hatched upon the idea of putting something with iron sights together to shoot Sierra's only varmint handgun bullet the 110 grain .357 Blitz.

After finding all the long barrel S&W L and N frame .357RemMags to be fully appreciated (don't you hate it when the gun collectors get the whip hand over the actual shooters?
mad.gif
), so I settled on getting a twelve inch bull barrel in .357RemMag for my Thompson Center old model Contender. What a sweet combination! The extra barrel length burns all the powder reducing blast and increases sight radius, and the weight reduces recoil. First time I shot it I was keeping 90% of stout 140 grain loads on a three inch gong at 25 yards. offhand. Also picked up 500 pieces of new Remington .357 brass (BRASS PRICES!?!?!?
blink.gif
) to regularize and load up over the winter.

NoDak scouting trip on my new scoot was highly successful: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...88#post5570088

Gotta run. I've got to update my presentation on lawful use of lethal force for the local CCW classes and the spaniels want to go out and play.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #490 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also picked up 500 pieces of new Remington .357 brass (BRASS PRICES!?!?!?
blink.gif
) to regularize and load up over the winter.

I know what you mean about the prices of reloading components. I just spent 300 dollars on 41 Magnum cases, bullets and Dillon caliber conversion/dies so that I can start reloading for a used Blackhawk I picked up to go with my .357 magnum Blackhawk.

Blackhawk41Mag.jpg

By the way, I love reading about your reloading work. I find this stuff fascinating.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #491 of 1,732
Final load for the select .243AAI cases with the molyed 70 grain Sierra BlitzKing and the Federal Match LR primers turned out to be slightly north of 45 grains of Varget.
eek.gif
blink.gif
I don't mention exact charges because they are particular to firearm and load components; your mileage may vary greatly! Utilizing molyed bullets alone usually allows me another grain or two of propellant; It takes that much less energy to start a lubricated bullet into the lands. Turned out I had guesstimated pretty well and the best charge was right in the middle of the four I had set out. It doesn't always work that way; that's what the lighter charges are for. In this case, we went a grain lower than where the test heavy cull cases showed harder bolt turn which was corroborated by a mean of 0.0008" expansion in the fired case base over loads one grain lighter. Now, we chrono this load.

I've got a test set of .243AI loads with the 107 grain Sierrra MatchKing "flying pencils" over incrementally increasing charges of IMR4350. Funny how even a slight change in bullet weight can send you looking for a different propellant.

Nice looking Blackhawk. I've got Pachmayrs on many of my S&Ws, but there's a school in favor of smooth walnut for the single action wheelguns. I've seen myself how the smooth walnut grip is designed to rotate in the hand to absorb heavy recoil. It works! Also looks traditional. You might want to pick up a set of OEM or aftermarket smooth grips to try it, especially with a .41MAG.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #492 of 1,732
Oh yeah, the grips are definitely going. They feel alright but the look is just off.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #493 of 1,732
Well I picked up a couple of cheap grips from Ajax while I was at the shop today. I will probably get something else later but now I am trying to decide between the black out look and the contrasting black/redwood look. I think I like the red wood grips but a nice set of black grips with some grain might be in the future. What do you guys think?

blackhawkblack.jpg

blackhawkred.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back