Gun-Fi
Nov 25, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #496 of 1,732
.357RemMag Varmint: The 500 pieces of new Remington brass are visiting the "stations of the cross" to become more concentric and consistent. 500 Sierra .357 110 grain BlitKings are in the house with a couple pounds of Winchester 296 and some "legacy" CCI small pistol magnum primers. These BlitxKings are really something; I expect an echo when I yell across their big cavity. 2000fps is not out of the question with the twelve inch T/C tube, but that will depend on pressure signs. What I'm really hoping for is some two inch 75 yard groups. Which would be really something with iron sights and my old eyes.
eek.gif

.243AI: 10 inch twist would not stabilize the 107 grain VLD MatchKings at any reasonable pressure. They weren't flying sideways at 100 yards like out of my 1-in-12" twist Browning A-Bolt, but their holes were definitely eliptical and falling in 8 to 10 inch groups for a rifle that will shoot 70 grain .243 MatchKings under 0.5". So I pulled the 107 grain bullets from the remaining test loads and went back and loaded some 100 grain .243 GameKing SPBTs over IMR4350. These worked just fine. Gives me something to use on game the size of antelope, deer, and caribou should the occasion arise.

Didn't get much reloading work done over Thanksgiving as we had two guest yellow labrador deceivers in the house. One, Belle, is a six month old pup who is already housebroken but has little or no impulse control and knows that the world is her oyster. Still, a very good snugging girl already. I was saying to SWMBO this morning that while the jury is out as to whether Belle bonded with me, there is no question that I bonded with Belle.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #497 of 1,732
I managed to pick up a couple more revolvers over the Head-fi hiatus. I also got my .41 Magnum reloading toolhead set up and put together a couple hundred middlewight rounds with AA#9 powder under 210 grn Hornady XTP bullets. The .41 is a nice accurate load that seems to be a bit flatter than the .44 with 10% less recoil. A nice shooting round.

I picked up another .41 Magnum for the collection. A S&W Mountain Gun Mod-57.

S&W57.jpg

And added a Mint+ Colt Diamondback to my small Colt Snake revolver collection.

Colts.jpg

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #498 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also got my .41 Magnum reloading toolhead set up and put together a couple hundred middlewight rounds with AA#9 powder under 210 grn Hornady XTP bullets.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but one of the things that has kept me shooting big bore wheelguns has been quality hardcast lead bullets. With the correct powder choice, hard cast lead bullets are accurate, powerful, and have significantly less perceived recoil than do jacketed bullets of similar (and even lesser) weights. This is because of the greatly reduced effort it takes for hardcast lead bullets to pass through the revolver's forcing cone at the receiver end of the barrel and into the rifling lands. You have to experience it to believe it.

Furthermore, hard cast lead bullets for reloaders are often available from local casters through gun shops, at gun shows, or directly at a fraction of the cost of quality commercial jacketed pistol bullets. A good way to judge the quality of hard cast lead bullets is the uniform sharpness of their bases and if they are packed neatly in rows and stacks rather than loose in a box. Base edge uniform sharpness adds materially to accuracy.

While I have found the effect not worth the while in .357RemMag class revolvers (they lead like crazy), .44RemMag hard cast bullet loads in front of 2400 powder are sweet. It's my guess you would also like them in the .41Mag. For the last decade fully 90% of my .44RemMag shooting has been done with stout loads behind hard cast lead bullets. BTW, another easy and effective revolver modification is to have the forcing cone lengthened. Worth every penny!

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #499 of 1,732
put a sling i feel fits with my 1941 VKT M91 better (the leather civil guard marked M28 sling didn't feel right with a non-civil guard rifle so i got a canvas sling that is correct for all continuation war rifles)

1941_VKT_M91c.jpg

finnslingyt1.jpg

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #500 of 1,732
Quote:

I managed to pick up a couple more revolvers over the Head-fi hiatus. I also got my .41 Magnum reloading toolhead set up and put together a couple hundred middlewight rounds with AA#9 powder under 210 grn Hornady XTP bullets. The .41 is a nice accurate load that seems to be a bit flatter than the .44 with 10% less recoil. A nice shooting round.

I picked up another .41 Magnum for the collection. A S&W Mountain Gun Mod-57.

S&W57.jpg

And added a Mint+ Colt Diamondback to my small Colt Snake revolver collection.

Colts.jpg

Very nice--where did you pick them up? I just received in the mail a very nice custom bullhide gunbelt from The Beltman. The belt should work well with my IWB Kramer Leatherworks Thompson Perfectionist.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #501 of 1,732
The beltman belts are excellent I have two myself. I also have a few Kramer holsters. I got both of the guns at the gun show a few weeks ago.

Old Pa, I would like to load lead bullets but there are very few outdoor ranges in Northern Virginia and I can't shoot lead at the indoor range at which I am a member.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #502 of 1,732
Quote:

Old Pa, I would like to load lead bullets but there are very few outdoor ranges in Northern Virginia and I can't shoot lead at the indoor range at which I am a member.

You might consider plated bullets which fall somewhere between hard cast lead and jacketed bullets in hardness and perceived recoil. Having your revolver forcing cones lengthened will help with any bullets. BTW Merry Christmas.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #504 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might consider plated bullets which fall somewhere between hard cast lead and jacketd bullets in hardness and perceived recoil. Having your revolver forcing cones lengthened will help with any bullets. BTW Merry Christmas.

I have some Berry's plated for .357 and .45 and was thinking of getting them for the .41. I was actually thinking of sending the Blackhawk .41 sent to Bowen for the basic issue package consisting of:

No. RS01 ‘Standard Issue’ Applicable to all Ruger single-action revolvers, our most basic package contains the essentials to good shooting and dependability:

· trigger tune; reassembly with Loc-tite to keep screws tight

· BCA oversize locking base pin installed

· forcing cone checked and recut, if necessary

· BCA Rough Country adjustable rear sight installed

I would like to go all out but I am thinking about getting a .44 Special for a true custom.

Have a great Christmas.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #505 of 1,732
Quote:

No. RS01 ‘Standard Issue’ Applicable to all Ruger single-action revolvers, our most basic package contains the essentials to good shooting and dependability:

· trigger tune; reassembly with Loc-tite to keep screws tight

· BCA oversize locking base pin installed

· forcing cone checked and recut, if necessary

· BCA Rough Country adjustable rear sight installed

That sounds like a great package, improving on both sights and trigger. They'll probably check the timing when they install the oversize locking base pin and what else do you really need?

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #506 of 1,732
Today I traded my un-fired Glock 26 for an used Glock 19 and 10 boxes of 20 rounds each in 7.62 by 39 for my SKS. In addition to the two 15 round each clips he gave me two 10 round clips. I will take a picture later and post it here. Both the 26 and the 19 were 2nd generation Glocks.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #507 of 1,732
This one has been stagnant for a while so I think I will show the new additions to my H&K collection. I picked up a P7M8 in box w/manual plus 8 mags and a USP45c with 4 mags for less than a grand. The P7 has some finish wear but mechanically it is awesome. Now my big decision is whether I send the P7 to Ford's refinishing for a hard chrome finish and some nice Nils wood grips or send it to Robars for the NP3 treatment. I think the Hard Chrome looks better but the NP3 is amazing for cleaning and upkeep.

HKUSP.jpg

HKP7M8.jpg

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #510 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HK USP 45 is my favorite handgun - even above my many Sigs.

GAD

Its funny, I have owned hundreds of pistols in my life but I have never owned a Sig. I really want a 220 SAO so it will probably be my first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good Deal on the H+K's. I have the P7 M8 and really like it.

Try Lightning Arms for some Matt Del Fatti leather.

Mitch

I agree that it is a great gun, that is why this one is joining the matching pair that are already sitting in my safe.
icon10.gif

Del Fatti has some fantastic leather for the P7, I had never seen any of his stuff, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back