Gun-Fi
Sep 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #451 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
noob question; how well do you recover from kickback with such a looong barrel?

It's actually easier to control with a longer barrel...

Sep 10, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #452 of 1,732
Thats interesting, having shot a beretta neos 4.5 and 6.0 i found the 4.5 easier to control between shots. It could just be me, or the fact that id used the 4.5 more than the 6.0.

And its a little pea shooter .22 .

Sep 10, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #453 of 1,732
Quote:

Thats interesting, having shot a beretta neos 4.5 and 6.0 i found the 4.5 easier to control between shots. It could just be me, or the fact that id used the 4.5 more than the 6.0.

And its a little pea shooter .22 .

I meant in terms of recoil.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #455 of 1,732
Quote:

my apologies: what i meant to convey was that i found recovery easier in the shorter neos between shots

It's likely a balance issue for your case. The 6" has a CG a bit forward compared to the 4.5". Also possible that it's due to sight realignment being faster with the shorter barrel.

As for recoil, it's quite possible to have more physical recoil with a long barrel than a snubby, especially in the S&W Airlite revolvers, but the additional blast incurred due to incomplete powder combustion in the barrel adds quite a bit to perceived recoil.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #456 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a little something I whipped together:

FullCompletedRifle_500.jpg

Action: Remington 700 PSS
Barrel: Remington 700 PSS
Trigger: Remington 700 PSS
Stock: McMillan A4 Tactical
Base & Rings: Badger Ordnance
Scope: Leupold Mark 14 M1 16X
Bipod: Harris Notched (now removed)
Bolt Knob: Badger Ordnance Tactical
Bottom Metal: Badger Ordnance
Bedding: None (yet)
Weight as Pictured: 14 lbs

Great looking and classic. How much is the total?

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #457 of 1,732
some new pics of my M39
43skym39kn6.jpg

43skym39bkn9.jpg

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #458 of 1,732
A/K/A Local area security. Firearms are used thousands of times each year by law abiding Americans to prevent and stop serious crimes. Those drafting the Bill of Rights felt so strongly from their own personal experiences of the right to bear arms that it is ranked only beneath the right to free speech. Private citizens in the United States on average utilize firearms to prevent or stop serious crimes ten times more often than do law enforcement officers. The reason is obvious: the lawfully armed private citizen is at the scene of the crime. Here at Casa del Old Pa, we try to practice security first by being alert, then by being prepared, and finally, should it be necessary, by acting lawfully, competently, quickly, and ruthlessly (and without stoppoing to admire our work
biggrin.gif
). If we have time, we call the police. If we do not have that time, we do the best we can.

Ownership of firearms does not equate with competence with firearms. Competence with firearms must first be learned and must then be regularly practiced. Like any other athletic skill, muscle memory comes into play and abilities ramp steeply up with recent practice and steeply down with no practice. What we strive for is the correct reaction performed at the speed of thought under severe stress in miserable conditions. Perfection is not possible, but the more we practice, the luckier we tend to get. Besides my police background from thirty years ago, I currently have certifications from seven different week long courses at Gunsite and The Site (including pistol, shotgun, carbine, and precision rifle), have competed in USPSA and IDPA, and have taught the legal implications of lethal force in state accredited concealed carry training courses. I practice live fire whenever I can, but never enough. :;

House-Guns.jpg

All these defensive firearms are semi-automatic in operation. All long arms are equipped with The Wilderness’s excellent Giles sling which allows them to hang across the front of the operator’s body in a well retained muzzle down ready position. The two shotguns are 12 gauge M1 Benellis with short barrels and rifle sights. Both have additional ammunition carried in side saddles; their usual fodder is Brenneke slugs and #1 buckshot providing tactical selection. Shotgun loads are in standard field and not magnum loadings. Shotguns at close range are exactly what the goblins do not want to see. Shotguns mean “cease and desist” in every language imaginable. The Sure-Fire light equipped M1 also has ghost ring sights, which I really like for speed and precision.

The Colt AR M4gery is in .5.56NATO with a JP trigger group, a device that sets the grip back 0.5”, an Aimpoint Model C dot sightbacked up by folding G&G iron rear sight, a Sure Fire forend with incorporated light, a Vortex flash suppressor, and shows a MagPul on its 30rd magazine. Its fodder is a 60 grain Hornady VMax at 3000 feet per second. Carbines provide fast accurate fire over a much longer range than do shotguns or pistols.

The Kimber Gold Combat RL II (from Kimber’s Custom Shop) 1911 in .45ACP has fixed tritium night sights, extended magazine well, fine line checkering on the front- and backstraps, forend serrations to check chamber, ambidextrous extended safety, and all the usual other bells-and-whistles custom fitted. While I am not fond of the new extractor and firing pin safety, they have worked in this gun flawlessly through extended practice. It is fitted with a quickly detachable SureFire X200 high powered LED weaponlight. Defensive pistols are intended to be close to hand, powerful enough to reliably stop an adversary, and very quick within close confines.

Firearm mounted lights work well with tactical firearms in self defense applications; target identification is critical and tactical shooting situations usually have poor light. If the light is already on the firearm, it is that much harder to forget. And extremely bright focused light coming out of the dark can disorient and demoralize a goblin, taking them out of the fight without a shot being fired.

Stop by the house whenever you can, but don’t forget to call first.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #459 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! What kind of range is that thing good up to?

I bought it primarily for CQB but I imagine depending on the ammo used it might be good up to 300 meters or so. I can't give you an exact figure because I've not shot it yet and I am fairly new to the AR15 rifles.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #462 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great looking and classic. How much is the total?

About $2500. Someday I want to get the action blueprinted and the stock professionally bedded, but I've got tubes to lust after.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #464 of 1,732
Had the chance to go shooting with my girl a few weeks ago. We rented a Beretta Neos .22lr and a USP 9mm. I have to say, both excellent, but the Neos was real fun! The ergonomics was great and there's nothing like shooting a box of ammo that costs $3...

Another note, she's a much better shot than I. Both our 3rd time shooting. Gonna have to practice
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back