Grado SR80i vs. Sennheiser HD598's.
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

halfinfinity

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in buying either the SR80i's or the HD598's, but am having trouble deciding which is better for the money. The Grado's are $100 and the 598's are about $180.

My understanding is that the Sennheiser's have a significantly larger sound stage as well as a detachable cable. The impendance is lower on the Grado's, but then again, I'm mainly using them at home. The HD598's seem to be the better headphone, but is it worth the extra $80 price tag? What I'm really asking is which has the dominant sound quality? Aesthetically the 598's seem better as well. 

I mainly listen to acoustic stuff as well has some reggae and pop/rock music. 

If anyone, who's used both, can describe their opinion about them it would be great.

Thanks,
halfinfinity

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 6
It's difficult to compare Grados to other cans. First, I have to say, the SR80i with l cush pads (which are essential) is very uncomfortable. Its easily the most uncomfortable can ive worn. Aside from that, the SR80i has more bass, and a tiny soundstage.

The HD598 has a great soundstage but it's about average in other areas, except in bass where it lacks.

I wouldn't go with either, since I think the HD558 us the better option.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok, interesting. 

I'm not crazy about bass, though, unless it's really that bad on the 598's. But as I mentioned, I do listen to some (relatively) thumping music, so I want decent bass.

Do you prefer the 558's sound for the price, or you just prefer the sound overall?

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Grados have excellent transient response and emphasized mids and highs that make them sound great with rock/metal because they do an excellent job with guitar. If those are your primary genres, you might enjoy them. They are love 'em or hate 'em kind of headphone. Be sure to buy them from somewhere you can return them if you don't like them.

If you go with the 80i, you could also purchase the L-cush pads separately which would get you 80 to 90% of the way to the Grado SR225i sound.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I did a somewhat careful comparison of the Grado PS-500s to the Sennheiser HD598s (and HiFiMan HE 400s), reported here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/708912/comparing-grado-ps-500-hifiman-he-500-and-sennheiser-hd-598-quasi-objective-tests#post_10341007

I recognize that the SR80is are different than the PS-500s, but I was not looking at them at the time. 

Hope this helps anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back