Grado RS1 eats AD2000 for breakfast!
May 22, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #76 of 100
Are they burnt in yet, Henmyr?

May 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they burnt in yet, Henmyr?

I'm not sure. They were bought used, and the first owner had them for about a month I think.

I will give them some hours, both by themselves and on my head, and then give some more impressions.

They are the new ones without buttons.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1 impressions Henmyr? compared to your other cans?

Note that everything below are my opinion only and only true with my current source and amps (Zero dac + LD MKIII amp).

MS2 vs RS1 (have sold MS2, so impressions from memory. I use both with bowls):
At first, they both sounded very similar, but after I got used to the RS1, the differences appeared. The RS1 had more air and separation, bigger soundstage, better bass and was overall more refined. The sound signature of the RS1 is much warmer than that of the MS2, especially the vocals. I liked electric guitars better with MS2, due to the more metallic, sharper texture they had.Both of them have a lot of prat.

In the end, I liked the more neutral/cold sound signature of the MS2 more than the RS1, but the refinement of the RS1 won, and remained instead of MS2.

The RS1 do sound coloured, but nothing sounds recessed. Nice punchy bass, with present but smooth hights and a very clear and airy midrange.

HD600: oldest version (if there is such a thing):
I find the HD600 to have a neutral and natural sound, with just a slight bassboost, so neutral/full instead of neutral/thin. The bass is not the tightest, but carries a lot of weight, which I like.

HD600 have the "BIG" kind of bass, which it shares with DT880 also. With "BIG" I mean that you hear it and feel it from a large area inside the soundstage. The bass of RS1 and MS2 sound like it's comes from a smaller area, but with more punch from that small area. The bass is a large part of the HD600, just like it was to the HD650. I always hear/feel it, and it always wants attention, but not so much that it masks everything else. Nice balanced bass I would say but again, not the tightest. The hights of the HD600 are natural and airy, neither enhanced nor recessed. The midrange sound very natural too me, with a lot of weight to male voices and good sharp female voices.

K501:
The most airy can I've heard yet. Very neutral and nice midrange, which works very well for vocals. I do not find the hights to be harsh, but instead nice and airy. The bass is VERY small, like it's coming from a very small area of the soundstage. I do agree that they are slightly less bassy than what is neutral. I did however not get these for their bass, but instead for the rather large and airy soundstage.

DT880: Haven't listened to these for a long time now. I've started to appreciate the midrange more, and thus, the rather dry, warm, slightly recessed midrange of DT880 does no do it for me any longer. The soundstage, separation, air and "out of head effect" is good, and some of their strenghts. The hights are a bit elevated compared to the other cans, but I never found them harsh. Bass is similar to that of HD600, but just slightly less in quantity.

AD2000: (I use the tube mod to increase comfort, and for me it also increased sound quality with more treble and soundstage).
Airy and clear, with neutral/cold midrange. Fast and detailed sound with lots of prat. The midrange is a very large part of the sound of AD2000. Some thinks it's very coloured and impossible to live with. I have gotten used to the sound, and do not think that the colouration is unnatural. To me, they are VERY natural, and i think vocals sound the most clear and real on AD2000 than any other of my headphones. The amount of bass depends on what amplifier/tubes/op-amps I use. With a slightly thin combination, I find the bass to be on the lean side. With the correct tube/op-amp combination, the bass is adequate.

The first few months I had them, I found the soundstage to be rather small, with shallow depths. The tube-mod increased the depths and some with. I must also have been used to the sound, because I do not feel that the soundstage is small anymore. Without the tube-mod, the treble was a bit recessed, but with the tube-mod it's not as recessed as before)

misc.
All of these headphones are on the bright side of things in one way or the other, except maybe HD600 which is more neutral. I do not find anyone of them usually harsh though.

Genres:
MS2, RS1: Excellent for vocals and rock. I feel no urge to use any of them for classical. RS1 sound VERY nice with trance, something I just stumbled upon and was not expecting. RS1 sound very real with string instruments, so chamber music is a very nice genre for them.
HD600: Excellent neutral allrounder. Works good for everything, including metal.
K501: Great for vocals. Good with classical. Works good for rock similar to Dire Straits. Good with some metal, and bad with others (this is directly depending on the bass. On some metal recordings, the bass is full and enough, while on other the sound is too thin to be good). It is not as good of an allrounder as HD600 due to the varying metal performance.
DT880: Also ok allrounder. Very good with classical. I find the slightly recessed, dry, warm midrange to stop it from getting "there" with vocals, so slightly worse as an allrounder than HD600. Ok with rock and metal. Better with metal than K501.
AD2000: Excellent allrounder. Doesn't sound bad with anything I've tried, and sound excellent with a lot. With a neutral/bassy setup (right tube/op-amp/amp/source) they are excellent with metal and rock, every bit as good as RS1 and MS2. Excellent for vocals, I REALLY like these for vocals. Ok for classical. I do however prefer DT880/HD600/K501 to AD2000 for classical.

AD2000 vs RS1
Both as similar in that they are coloured, and both competes for the same genres. Their colourations is what sets them appart. The RS1 is warm while the AD2000 is neutral/cold instead. They are made from similar moulds, but painted with different colours. Bass, midrange and treble is nicely balanced in the RS1, while midrange is more dominating with AD2000, and both ways are equally good.

It really isn't necessary to have both AD2000 and RS1, as they compete for headtime with the same genres. If one had to go, it would probably be the RS1, but not without grief.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #80 of 100
Nice Comparisons, thanks. Now, if somebody only has the more affordable ms2s for comparison to the ad2k.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #81 of 100
Very interested thread.... I want LOTS of PRAT (similar to my Ex Altec Lansing VS3151 speakers at 75-90% of his volume) for Super Eurobeat and other fast music...

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #82 of 100
Ok, I want to known which of the two headphones sound more "PRATTY" (energetic and fun) and better with this music:
Here is a sample of a JROCK song.
And Here is some samples of Jpop and Jpop with Super Eurobeat (My favorite...):
1 (one of the most Pratty), 2, 3, 4 (a slow eurobeat or less in reality (more inclined to Jpop)), 5 (it sounded a lot pratty in my ex-speakers and here it sound slower
confused.gif
in my DT990s), 6, 7 & 8 (the last two are some JPop+trance)
And it is unclassified.... -WARNING- it has a lot of midbass. this song is ouf of this world as much others.... (i want to known, how this song sounds specially in the AD2000, which have less midbass)
This genres sound something laidback or slower in the mids (specially the super eurobeat styles) With my DT990, but with energy and extension in the treble that extends almost to the infinite in my DT990s, which is excellent... .But even so, the sound isn't as full and pratty as in my ex 5.1 (except in the bass and treble), but near. I enjoy the music much more when i listen to it, at very high volumes (i think what both of them get louder enough for my liking (i don't have doubts....)).
For that, i am interested in listen some opinions of both headphones, because i don't want to spend a lot of money (i live outside of USA, which complicated the things more if i do the wrong choice), to get dissapointed at the moment of truth
I want to known how sound the mids in the AD2000 in intensity (i hope that they aren't too much with this music (or harsh)).
Thanks a lot in advance to everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I want to known which of the two headphones sound more "PRATTY" (energetic and fun) and better with this music:
Here is a sample of a JROCK song.
And Here is some samples of Jpop and Jpop with Super Eurobeat (My favorite...):
1 (one of the most Pratty), 2, 3, 4 (a slow eurobeat or less in reality (more inclined to Jpop)), 5 (it sounded a lot pratty in my ex-speakers and here it sound slower
confused.gif
in my DT990s), 6, 7 & 8 (the last two are some JPop+trance)
And it is unclassified.... -WARNING- it has a lot of midbass. this song is ouf of this world as much others.... (i want to known, how this song sounds specially in the AD2000, which have less midbass)
This genres sound something laidback or slower in the mids (specially the super eurobeat styles) With my DT990, but with energy and extension in the treble that extends almost to the infinite in my DT990s, which is excellent... .But even so, the sound isn't as full and pratty as in my ex 5.1 (except in the bass and treble), but near. I enjoy the music much more when i listen to it, at very high volumes (i think what both of them get louder enough for my liking (i don't have doubts....)).
For that, i am interested in listen some opinions of both headphones, because i don't want to spend a lot of money (i live outside of USA, which complicated the things more if i do the wrong choice), to get dissapointed at the moment of truth
I want to known how sound the mids in the AD2000 in intensity (i hope that they aren't too much with this music (or harsh)).
Thanks a lot in advance to everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got my ATH-AD2000s in the mail from Musician Friends on sale for only 500bux! These headphones were made in Japan FOR Japan and they are absolutely my favorites for Jpop, Jrock, and Eurobeat. They handle electronic music so well. I previously used DT770s which were way too bright for me and I am loving the change, although I do put the DT770s because I miss that huge bass. The AD2000 bass is more detailed instead of it just being a loud THUMP like my dt770s do.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #84 of 100
Thank you for your answer. The people here was "mute" and/or "Blind"....
How is the sensation in the music of the AD2000 vs the DT770pro?
The DT770pro sound slower and uninvolving in complarisson, not it??. How much (if you can quantify)?
Ah, to confirm. How is the bass slam (or upper bass) in the AD2000 compared to the DT770pro (i am not speaking of deep bass rumble or midbass BOOM, if not of PUM) in %?
Ah, how sound the UFO remix of Ayumi Hamasaki in your AD2000?
It must be sound "super bloated" in the DT770pro (it sound very good with plenty of quantity in my DT990 but the mids are between little present and present, see below) and the mids must be absorbed completelly for the big amount of midbass. How sound the mids in this song (....the Ayumi's voice), little present, present, very present?
Ah2 (hehehe). the mids in the aggresive ones (songs) are harsher or are sweeter and energetic or how?
Thank you very muuuch for your answers, it's very appreciated....
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasticChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my ATH-AD2000s in the mail from Musician Friends on sale for only 500bux! These headphones were made in Japan FOR Japan and they are absolutely my favorites for Jpop, Jrock, and Eurobeat. They handle electronic music so well. I previously used DT770s which were way too bright for me and I am loving the change, although I do put the DT770s because I miss that huge bass. The AD2000 bass is more detailed instead of it just being a loud THUMP like my dt770s do.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #86 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your answer. The people here was "mute" and/or "Blind"....
How is the sensation in the music of the AD2000 vs the DT770pro?
The DT770pro sound slower and uninvolving in complarisson, not it??. How much (if you can quantify)?
Ah, to confirm. How is the bass slam (or upper bass) in the AD2000 compared to the DT770pro (i am not speaking of deep bass rumble or midbass BOOM, if not of PUM) in %?
Ah, how sound the UFO remix of Ayumi Hamasaki in your AD2000?
It must be sound "super bloated" in the DT770pro (it sound very good with plenty of quantity in my DT990 but the mids are between little present and present, see below) and the mids must be absorbed completelly for the big amount of midbass. How sound the mids in this song (....the Ayumi's voice), little present, present, very present?
Ah2 (hehehe). the mids in the aggresive ones (songs) are harsher or are sweeter and energetic or how?
Thank you very muuuch for your answers, it's very appreciated....

I would have listen to the songs, but firefox said that the page was known for attacks, so I didn't dare enter it.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #87 of 100
Yes, it says that, but don't worry. Use Internet Explorer or Opera instead; thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have listen to the songs, but firefox said that the page was known for attacks, so I didn't dare enter it.

Yes, it is a good price than before (much better in reality), but no money for now
frown.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think at the current 499 price, its time you should pull the trigger on them wilashort

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It said that for me as well, but i found out the files where just mp3 files so no risk here. The site is just known for hosting malware but those links were fine. Although I'm not really a fan of mp3s I'll listen to these after I get home and listen to them on my AD2000s.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #90 of 100
Agreed. In other hand, i will wait for more of that i write before
Thanks in advance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasticChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It said that for me as well, but i found out the files where just mp3 files so no risk here. The site is just known for hosting malware but those links were fine. Although I'm not really a fan of mp3s I'll listen to these after I get home and listen to them on my AD2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back