Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jun 14, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #256 of 722
@matchbox
, is the twine used to hold the location of the sliders?

yes, one keeps moving so the headband feels a little loose or off balence, plus it looks "cooler". I might just need a different headband.
Actually they aren't deeper, both Grado and Ypsilon drivers are 9mm thick.

I remember that the Ypsilons are 9mm, but I can't check the Grado driver right now-- I'll take your word for it.:smile:

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #257 of 722
I remember that the Ypsilons are 9mm, but I can't check the Grado driver right now-- I'll take your word for it.
smile.gif

So just you don't have to take my word on it
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #260 of 722
so i've had my ypsilons for a few months now and finally had some time to install them last night. so one of the drivers doesn't work. i checked all my connections with a multimeter...desoldered, cleaned the cables, re-checked connections, and re-soldered. still no sound.

now, when i check for continuity between the pads, there is continuity between them (between the leftmost pad and the red right-most pad). that should not be the case, correct?

any help would be appreciated...perhaps a bad driver? thanks!

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #265 of 722
Long story. short (or so, I think)
I was at a friends (and headphone aficionado) house a few weeks ago for some beer/pizza/football/headphone-listening/blah-blah/more-pizza/beer, you get the idea, and while testing his LCD3 with the Violectric one driver went "pooof", I think for the third time, then another friend three meters away goes, "put a pair of Ypsilon in them" !!!
You can't be serious, but then again, why not.

Thinking about it further, my main concern was if the Ypsilon have enough "juice" to fill with bass the much larger volume created by the huge Audeze pads.
A few emails back-and-forth with Chris put my concerns to rest as he told that the problem isn't going to be "not enough bass" but "too much bass", the Ypsilon are designed for leaking foam pads working close to ear and the Audeze pads are sealing and very good at it.

So with some valuable input from Chris (BTW, the guy knows a thing, or two, about headphones) I made some rough baffles for the Ypsilon and Audeze ear pads, just for the "proof of concept" and the results where very encouraging, after a couple of weeks I had these.........

The idea behind these is to have the Ypsilon driver to work in situation that was designed for, ie, bass-leaking and close to the ear.
The cups protrude the driver about 8mm, (there's plenty of room inside the Audeze pads so the drivers don't touch the ears) and a number of leaking holes drilled on the baffle, these are 4 holes 6mm and 2 holes 10mm.
These 6 holes in total give a "leaking" area of 2.7cm² and a flat bass response, by blocking holes with, say, blue-tack and decreasing the "leaking total area" bass response goes up in a nice proportional factor.
Measurement.....

Red curve is all holes blocked, blue curve is all open, everything in between...
Orange -  two 6mm holes blocked
Pink  -  four 6mm holes blocked
etc, you get the idea.
Frequency response is in every case a straight line from (at least) 80Hz to 3kHz but with a nice downward slope (think BBC dip)
Back wave damping is left to minimal with just a ~1.5mm felt glued on the grills, heavier damping (like 5mm felt) adds some midrange presence and a reflective surface (I tried some wood veneer and a round silicone donut from toroidal tranformer mounting) adds some "sparkle" on the top octave, all in all, a very customable and easy to tune to your "taste" design.
I won't go into detail of how these sound other that they sound phenomenal, the Ypsilon is a remarkable driver, period, and the obvious, soundstage especially depth, goes ten-fold than any Grado-ish design I have ever heard.

CSD.

Finished "product", dig it?
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #267 of 722
I was at a friends (and headphone aficionado) house a few weeks ago for some beer/pizza/football/headphone-listening/blah-blah/more-pizza/beer, you get the idea, and while testing his LCD3 with the Violectric one driver went "pooof", I think for the third time, then another friend three meters away goes, "put a pair of Ypsilon in them" !!!

Thinking about it further, my main concern was if the Ypsilon have enough "juice" to fill with bass the much larger volume created by the huge Audeze pads.
A few emails back-and-forth with Chris put my concerns to rest as he told that the problem isn't going to be "not enough bass" but "too much bass", the Ypsilon are designed for leaking foam pads working close to ear and the Audeze pads are sealing and very good at it.

So with some valuable input from Chris (BTW, the guy knows a thing, or two, about headphones) I made some rough baffles for the Ypsilon and Audeze ear pads, just for the "proof of concept" and the results where very encouraging, after a couple of weeks I had these.........

The idea behind these is to have the Ypsilon driver to work in situation that was designed for, ie, bass-leaking and close to the ear.
The cups protrude the driver about 8mm, (there's plenty of room inside the Audeze pads so the drivers don't touch the ears) and a number of leaking holes drilled on the baffle, these are 4 holes 6mm and 2 holes 10mm.
These 6 holes in total give a "leaking" area of 2.7cm² and a flat bass response, by blocking holes with, say, blue-tack and decreasing the "leaking total area" bass response goes up in a nice proportional factor.
Measurement.....

Red curve is all holes blocked, blue curve is all open, everything in between...
etc, you get the idea.
Frequency response is in every case a straight line from (at least) 80Hz to 3kHz but with a nice downward slope (think BBC dip)
Back wave damping is left to minimal with just a ~1.5mm felt glued on the grills, heavier damping (like 5mm felt) adds some midrange presence and a reflective surface (I tried some wood veneer and a round silicone donut from toroidal tranformer mounting) adds some "sparkle" on the top octave, all in all, a very customable and easy to tune to your "taste" design.
I won't go into detail of how these sound other that they sound phenomenal, the Ypsilon is a remarkable driver, period, and the obvious, soundstage especially depth, goes ten-fold than any Grado-ish design I have ever heard.

CSD.

Finished "product", dig it?
tongue.gif

Motherf#$%@r (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), that is some gorgeous work...I have toyed with the idea of doing something like this, but using a Beyerdynamic DT770 headband and base-design. Larry at Headphile does something similar called the Vixen with SR325 and higher drivers, and Beyer velour pads...I never thought to push the driver closer to the ear though. Stroke of genius. Nicely done!

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #268 of 722

Measurement.....

etc, you get the idea.

CSD.

Finished "product", dig it? :p  

Very nice work!

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #269 of 722
  @Konstantin690, That is some super skills with wood working and design, hats of to you, very impressive.

Thanks, although I designed them, I didn't made them, no time or suitable tools to make something like this, they were made by Eleven Acoustica.

Motherf#$%@r (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), that is some gorgeous work...I have toyed with the idea of doing something like this, but using a Beyerdynamic DT770 headband and base-design. Larry at Headphile does something similar called the Vixen with SR325 and higher drivers, and Beyer velour pads...I never thought to push the driver closer to the ear though. Stroke of genius. Nicely done!

Thanks, I know the Vixen, a cheaper alternative for a donor headband/pads could be the Superlux HD330, kind of BeyerDynamic clones and maybe, headband and pads from BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro?
The protrude drivers sound awesome, really special, has the "immediacy" of  the close proximity but with a huge soundstage, it's hard to describe, if you ever heard the HD800 or the T1 you probably know what I mean, they sound sort of "distant" in the Mid/High integration, if that makes any sense.
When I was playing with these there was always the idea at the back of my head that if it doesn't "work" to repair the plannar drivers, needless to say these are keepers, they are that good.
So, shut up and stop drooling,
tongue.gif
cut some wood and make a new "home" for the Ypsilons, they totally worth it.

Quote:
Very nice work!

Thanks mate.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #270 of 722

Thanks, although I designed them, I didn't made them, no time or suitable tools to make something like this, they were made by Eleven Acoustica.

Thanks, I know the Vixen, a cheaper alternative for a donor headband/pads could be the Superlux HD330, kind of BeyerDynamic clones and maybe, headband and pads from BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro?
The protrude drivers sound awesome, really special, has the "immediacy" of  the close proximity but with a huge soundstage, it's hard to describe, if you ever heard the HD800 or the T1 you probably know what I mean, they sound sort of "distant" in the Mid/High integration, if that makes any sense.
When I was playing with these there was always the idea at the back of my head that if it doesn't "work" to repair the plannar drivers, needless to say these are keepers, they are that good.
So, shut up and stop drooling,
tongue.gif
cut some wood and make a new "home" for the Ypsilons, they totally worth it.

Quote:

Thanks mate.

I've done a few woody jobs on Superlux HD330...weirdly enough, they feel a little smaller than the DT770. The headband doesn't extend as much and the cups seemed a little more cramped. Still, they worked well.

Your new cans are inspiring. Chris at Elleven Acoustica is a champ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back