Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jun 5, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #241 of 722

Considering that the average human hearing discomfort level is ~120db and the pain threshold is above 130db I don't know what to think of this, but my ears hurts way sooner when I hear to excessive distortion.
Safe hearing limit (according to Occupational Safety & Health Administration) is 95db for 4 hours (or 100db for 2 hour) daily.

EDIT: fleasbaby excuse the threadcrapping.
biggrin.gif

This is what I've based my listening level on: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/noisemeter.html

Its what we were using at my work place, as you can see anything more than 85db is considered high and since I sometimes listen to more than 8 hours a day I liked to be on the safe side.  So maybe I'm not the "average" human where I have discomfort at 120db and my discomfort level is much lower.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #242 of 722
Crap away kids, just don't get aggressive with each other. It's all exploratory.

For what it's worth, I found the variances too much on the PX100ii drivers and moved on after getting two overly bassy pairs.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #243 of 722
Crap away kids, just don't get aggressive with each other. It's all exploratory.

For what it's worth, I found the variances too much on the PX100ii drivers and moved on after getting two overly bassy pairs.

I done with the crap, and have come to the same conclusion as you that the PX-100i drivers have too much variance.  So are the Ypsilon and Magnum the only two that seem to have good consistency?

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #244 of 722
  I done with the crap, and have come to the same conclusion as you that the PX-100i drivers have too much variance.  So are the Ypsilon and Magnum the only two that seem to have good consistency?

So far yes...I need to hear more pairs of Ypsilons to be sure, but these are the closest you'll come. I know of another driver on the horizon, but its in the early stages of development, and is still being tested.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #245 of 722

So far yes...I need to hear more pairs of Ypsilons to be sure, but these are the closest you'll come. I know of another driver on the horizon, but its in the early stages of development, and is still being tested.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll try a pair of Ypsilon drivers.  Any recommendation on wood type or shape for the Ypsilon drivers?

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #246 of 722

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll try a pair of Ypsilon drivers.  Any recommendation on wood type or shape for the Ypsilon drivers?

Wood type, probably best to go with Mahogany or Walnut. Simple, solid tonewoods that are pleasant. Make sure you do a press-fit for the driver, not a foam-fit. For mine, I made the total length of the cup 1 and a quarter inches, and made the outside face's hole as wide as possible. I also maximised the diameter of the inner chamber as much as I could without eliminating the step needed to hold the driver in place. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #248 of 722
  @fleasbaby, thanks for the info, will do some searching and see what I can come up with, appreciate all your helps and sorry for the crap earlier.

LOL...no worries. Threads are for discussion. I thought talking about the PX100ii and its relative merits was relevant to a thread on one driver among many out there :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #249 of 722
Here they are– these are close to final. You might notice the difference between the two cups. I have yet to notice any effect there might be on the sound at this point (30 hours or so of burning in).

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #251 of 722
  Nice! Never thought of using RCA connectors, aren't they bulky?

thanks
 these in particular are– I made the opening for them too close to where the driver sits, not realizing Ypsilons are deeper than Grados. Inside the chamber they take up as much space as a cable inside a sleeve.  They solve the problems I have over time when using a permanent cable.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #253 of 722
For anyone else interested into doing a removable cable mod, I would suggest 2.5 mm mono jacks:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back