Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,656 of 4,994
Quote:
First I would try to isolate the problem, (if you can desolder and resolder cable and drivers) maybe by either trying your Magnum drivers elsewhere (in the air and/or in another pair of cups), and trying your MartinCustomAudio cups with another pair of drivers.

The Magnums should not lack bass... I can tell you that my own Magnum v5 has a lot more bass than all Grados I've owned (2001 RS-1, 1996 RS-1, 2005 SR325i, 1998 SR325 and HP 1000).

You can always send the whole thing to Rhydon or Turbulent Labs, maybe MartinCustomAudio too (which ever happens to be the closest to you) and have them verified; it's a service that they actually offer.

This has me very intrigued to try the Magnum V5 again... I can say with certainty, that my Magnum V5 had less bass presence than all the Grados I've ever tried. Including SR60i with L-Cush pads. I was using Vibro Classic Cups, which have a U-shaped cut-out in the wood for the cable entry, which I somewhat suspected to be the cause of the lack of bass. But it seems the drivers may have had more to do with it...

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,657 of 4,994
Hi Biscuitz,

Are your Magnums connected to an amp?
BTW, could these Magnums expose a certain 'his' from my amp (an old, used little dot 2), that I couldn't hear from my SR80i (fully modded)?

Thanks

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,658 of 4,994
I had your set of V5 magnums and Vibro Classic Cups for a bit and I have to agree, had great clarity and detail, but not much bass.  I even put them in some spare 225 shells I had and same thing, I'm a bit of a bass 
head so it was a bit off putting..
Quote:
This has me very intrigued to try the Magnum V5 again... I can say with certainty, that my Magnum V5 had less bass presence than all the Grados I've ever tried. Including SR60i with L-Cush pads. I was using Vibro Classic Cups, which have a U-shaped cut-out in the wood for the cable entry, which I somewhat suspected to be the cause of the lack of bass. But it seems the drivers may have had more to do with it...

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,659 of 4,994
Quote:
I had your set of V5 magnums and Vibro Classic Cups for a bit and I have to agree, had great clarity and detail, but not much bass.  I even put them in some spare 225 shells I had and same thing, I'm a bit of a bass 
head so it was a bit off putting..

Yeah...I just thought that's just how they were. Especially because I got the V5 immediately after having a V4 build, and the bass quantity was pretty much the same, so I didn't suspect anything might be wrong. So to hear everyone say the opposite on this thread has me wondering about my pair... I really liked the clarity, detail, and separation of the V5 over traditional Grados, but the bass quantity and extension was even a bit worse than my SR60i.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,661 of 4,994
I did have them hooked up to an Arrow 3G, and Matrix M stage at the time also.
Quote:
Yeah...I just thought that's just how they were. Especially because I got the V5 immediately after having a V4 build, and the bass quantity was pretty much the same, so I didn't suspect anything might be wrong. So to hear everyone say the opposite on this thread has me wondering about my pair... I really liked the clarity, detail, and separation of the V5 over traditional Grados, but the bass quantity and extension was even a bit worse than my SR60i.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,662 of 4,994
when you order the drivers do they come with the tape to be mounted? 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,664 of 4,994
Quote:

Well like I said Grado has caught up and began offering bass people initially thought to be exclusive to the Magnums.

But mind the headphones I mentioned I owned, my most recent Grado is from 2005 and it doesn't have near as much bass as the 2009 and onward Grados now have, which Grados I've never even tried really. I'm basing myself on impressions / reviews of others when I say Grados should have gotten a lot closer to Magnums in terms of bass performance. Modern Grado might have surpassed Magnum in that department.

When I say my Magnum v5 (~4.5) has a lot more bass than my HP 1000 or 2005 SR325i please don't be too impressed, Grados had relatively little bass in that time.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2,665 of 4,994
Quote:

Well like I said Grado has caught up and began offering bass people initially thought to be exclusive to the Magnums.

But mind the headphones I mentioned I owned, my most recent Grado is from 2005 and it doesn't have near as much bass as the 2009 and onward Grados now have, which Grados I've never even tried really. I'm basing myself on impressions / reviews of others when I say Grados should have gotten a lot closer to Magnums in terms of bass performance. Modern Grado might have surpassed Magnum in that department.

When I say my Magnum v5 (~4.5) has a lot more bass than my HP 1000 or 2005 SR325i please don't be too impressed, Grados had relatively little bass in that time.

Ah, wait, are you talking about the Turbulent X drivers, or an updated version of the Magnum V4? I think we're referring (probably incorrectly) to this when we say V5: http://turbulentlabs.com/turbulent-x-headphone-driver/

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,669 of 4,994
Quote:

BTW, all you Magnum owners, did you have to perform break-in to feel the bass?

Thanks.

Sort of, but I will say the bass is very different. It will never sound like the bass from a SR60. The mid-bass kick you get from the 60s is gone. Its a more flat response, but the bass goes lower into the sub-base range. I can see how, depending on what you listen to, that they may sound like they are lacking in bass response. I think the jump to the Magnum/Turbulent was an improvement on the low end, but that may be a subjective thing. I would suggest listening to the magnums exclusively for a week, then compare them to the Grados. When I first put on the Magnums, my initial response was "there's no bass", but after a while I adjusted. Now when I go back to the 325is the Grados sound like they have less bass. (but again a different kind of bass response)

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,670 of 4,994
Quote:
 ...Its a more flat response, but the bass goes lower into the sub-base rangeI can see how, depending on what you listen to, that they may sound like they are lacking in bass response. I think the jump to the Magnum/Turbulent was an improvement on the low end, but that may be a subjective thing...

That's exactly what I feel, except I had the SR80i (with SPC cable), and SR225i to compare. I would never say they lack bass; in fact, I really like the bass response on these. Oh, and burn in is really noticeable IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back