Grado modders go Magnum
May 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,626 of 4,994
Quote:
I wouldn't think so. Mine are in wood cups from Martin as well.(though they are much lighter than my SR325is) These aren't bass-heavy in the best of circumstances. I would definitely try another amp, but that may not be the problem. It may just be the clean, detailed, flat signature is not ideal for what you listen to. Also, on your computer (if its windows) try going to the Control Panel, Sound, then click properties for your DAC/output device. See if you have a bass boost option on the Enhancements tab. I found a slight bump at 50hz was a nice touch for some music. I normal avoid all "enhancements", but this one is just a simply eq adjustment.

First I'm not a bass-head, the bass is just missing & the mids are too forward (if I identify it right).
I had a pair of SR80i that are not known for their full bass as well, and comparing to them, there's no bass at all in my V5's.

Thanks

May 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,627 of 4,994
Quote:

First I'm not a bass-head, the bass is just missing & the mids are too forward (if I identify it right).
I had a pair of SR80i that are not known for their full bass as well, and comparing to them, there's no bass at all in my V5's.

Thanks

Another factor may be how the drivers/housing are mounted in the wood.
Grado uses glue into the RS1/2. Martin and Turbulent press fit with tape to make the fit tight.

May 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,629 of 4,994
If somebody has asked this before, then I'm very sorry for bringing it up again... Within the Grado lineup, where would a V5-Wood Magnum fit in, in terms of overall performance? Since the original concept of the Magnum was an 325 upgrade, I'm pretty sure it would go further up than the Prestige series chain, but would you guys classify if over the RS2? Maybe even over the RS1?

I like the V5 better than the RS1. Never heard the PS series so I can't comment on that. I asked another headfier who owned both a Magnum and an HP1000 which one he likes better. He told me the HP1000 and Magnum are on the same level just different flavors of sound. At that point I decided to stop losing sleep over whether there is some Grado out there better than my Magnum and just embraced the Magnum.

May 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,630 of 4,994
I'm just curious as I am really tempted to try it.  Has anybody here punched holes in their Magnum drivers? Has anyone also tried bluetac on the back of the driver? I'd really like to know the results if anybody has tried before.

May 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,631 of 4,994
It will increase bass, but I'm sure you'll lose resolution.  If you have transpore tape you can cover the holes back up again if you don't like it..

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,637 of 4,994
I have heard great things about the Little Dot MK1. Personally I am getting beautiful results from my Graham Slee Voyager with my vintage pink driver SR 80 and SR 225. I plan on trying some Magnums with it at some point...when I get another build made.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,638 of 4,994
Could my bass issue caused from the amp? or how & with what I assembled my Magnums? BTW, I not getting a much different experience in sound quality than the SR80u I had, sounds familiar to anyone? Thanks

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,639 of 4,994
My build was a pair of Cabillas cups (PS1000 clones) with a Headphonelounge cable. I had the drivers mounted in the cups using a foam strip along the edge. I used an RSA Hornet with it for a while (the original version, not the M) and those are known for a tube-like sound. The result was a very neutral sound, that sounded flat, but when fed bass, went to immeasurable (sorry, a little hyperbole there) depths.

It might partly be your amp, and it might be your build. I believe you detailed this a while back, but how have you put yours together?

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,640 of 4,994
Quote:
My build was a pair of Cabillas cups (PS1000 clones) with a Headphonelounge cable. I had the drivers mounted in the cups using a foam strip along the edge. I used an RSA Hornet with it for a while (the original version, not the M) and those are known for a tube-like sound. The result was a very neutral sound, that sounded flat, but when fed bass, went to immeasurable (sorry, a little hyperbole there) depths.

It might partly be your amp, and it might be your build. I believe you detailed this a while back, but how have you put yours together?

Wood cups from Martin (pretty big & heavy).
Xev cable from Zynsonix.
I've used blu-tac to push the drivers in a tight way to the cups. And the amp is little dot 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back